Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2017, 11:23 PM   #1
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria
Default The dork side

A thread for JESUSNEEDSASHIT

https://media.tenor.co/images/2b7476...5a9809bb9c/raw

Old 01-22-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...71/793/c2a.gif

Old 01-22-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
vixnix
Socialphobic

I mean it's not often I feel he need to dispense advice but dude I kinda feel like you need to calm yo self a bit

Old 01-22-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Guess that's why he needs a hit.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:30 PM   #5
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

he's being fucking obnoxious tonight, but telling someone to not be angry or calm down over racial justice is like the epitome of some dumb white person with no horse in the race whatsoever.

It occurred to me recently how much I dislike that Yoda quote actually. Anger can be good. There are instances where anger is the appropriate response. Like when people are trying to take your rights.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:30 PM   #6
redbreegull

but yeah dude just ignore them and stop quoting them please

Old 01-22-2017, 11:31 PM   #7
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I think the Jedi learned that lesson by being annihilated.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:44 PM   #8
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
he's being fucking obnoxious tonight, but telling someone to not be angry or calm down over racial justice is like the epitome of some dumb white person with no horse in the race whatsoever.

It occurred to me recently how much I dislike that Yoda quote actually. Anger can be good. There are instances where anger is the appropriate response. Like when people are trying to take your rights.
I think every person here at netpho who is apparently angry about racial injustice is actually white...

Did our other resident woman of colour attend the march, or did she also think it was too strange to join?

On my FB feed, only white women went to the march. I'm going to say, white, college educated women. And D. and his daughter.

I have 48 first cousins on my Samoan side, and none of them have made any comment on Trump. Too busy paying bills I guess and commuting 1.5 hours each way to work because they can't afford to rent any closer to their jobs.

So the whole "angry at racial injustice" thing kinda rings a bit hollow to me.

Most of my cousins just keep their heads down and think of eating fried chicken and playing cards in someone's double garage at the end of the week.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:47 PM   #9
vixnix
Socialphobic

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rJYbhH8KuV...-jr-102496.jpg

Old 01-22-2017, 11:49 PM   #10
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Did any of them ever have anything to say about Donald Brash?

Old 01-22-2017, 11:51 PM   #11
redbreegull

ladies and gentlemen, the Santa Clausification of MLK

Old 01-23-2017, 12:01 AM   #12
redbreegull

As someone who was there, I can tell you for certain there were a lot of people of color and a strong Black Lives Matter presence. DC is really a black city. There were also a lot of white people obviously, some of which I do not doubt would not have been there if it was the black women's march or the gay women's march. But a lot of the speakers talked about intersectionality, and after early criticism, it seemed the organizers decided to heavily emphasize intersectionality as essential to good feminism. The atmosphere was not one of mourning at all. It was overwhelmingly positive, we were all packed shoulder to shoulder and standing for many hours but people seemed positive, determined, and ready to fight. The atmosphere was very loving. And yes, it seems to have been the biggest single day of protests in the history of the country.

it might not be your thing but you are just spouting off on what you saw on facebook. clearly you weren't at a march. you shouldn't put down others for trying to make a difference or a statement in their own way just because it doesn't make sense to you. one of the most important lessons from the civil rights movement of the 60s is that no single tactic brought change. Change was the result of a lot of different tactics and different actions being taken by people who did not always agree with each other, but realized they were basically in the same coalition and refused to tear each other down.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:04 AM   #13
redbreegull

also maybe it's not apparent to non-Americans but the Ivanka sign is a parody of Westboro Baptist Church signs. It was a joke.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:18 AM   #14
fuzzyroes
Banned

Why exactly were all these women protesting again? The grab em by the pussy hot mic comment from 10 years ago?

Old 01-23-2017, 12:18 AM   #15
vixnix
Socialphobic

My cousins honestly never comment on politics unless it directly relates to them and it seldom does, because nobody in politics needs to cater to them so they're basically invisible.

They're also for the most part very devout Christians, so the only thing I ever see them post on FB or say IRL about politics is stuff about praying for the leader of their country to make wise choices.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:19 AM   #16
fuzzyroes
Banned

Man, it's a good thing Bill Clinton wasn't in office in this day and age. There would be an outright civil war taking place

Old 01-23-2017, 12:21 AM   #17
vixnix
Socialphobic

I'm surprised at you rbg, going to a march for women one day and then telling a woman what she should or shouldn't do, the next.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:23 AM   #18
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I find it odd how people think that racial minorities give a shit about the Trump presidency when none of this Australian Samoan chick's cousins have said a word about him on Facebook. Did the people who are concerned about racial equality in the US even ask any of these cousins? Did they even bother to friend them?

Old 01-23-2017, 12:26 AM   #19
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Why exactly were all these women protesting again? The grab em by the pussy hot mic comment from 10 years ago?
One large women's rights issue right now is the aca made it so birth control is covered by most insurance, and republicans don't have a good track record when it comes to that thing. Republicans also want to defund plannned parenthood. These are issues that matter to young women, including myself.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:27 AM   #20
vixnix
Socialphobic

I wouldn't mention it if the white, university educated, six-figure-salaried people on my FB feed weren't so visibly anti-Trump and committed to a march that is supposedly in part about racial injustice.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:28 AM   #21
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Do you disagree with this?

Old 01-23-2017, 12:28 AM   #22
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
One large women's rights issue right now is the aca made it so birth control is covered by most insurance, and republicans don't have a good track record when it comes to that thing. Republicans also want to defund plannned parenthood. These are issues that matter to young women, including myself.
girls just wanna have fun yo

Old 01-23-2017, 12:32 AM   #23
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

I hope you're not joking. Women need specialized healthcare. Of all the appointments I can go without, I would rather not go without that.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:34 AM   #24
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I have 48 first cousins on my Samoan side, and none of them have made any comment on Trump. Too busy paying bills I guess and commuting 1.5 hours each way to work because they can't afford to rent any closer to their jobs.

So the whole "angry at racial injustice" thing kinda rings a bit hollow to me.

Most of my cousins just keep their heads down and think of eating fried chicken and playing cards in someone's double garage at the end of the week.
This is actually scary for Americans. Maybe the protest wasn't perfect but this whole transition is really frightening and it is good for people to have a cathartic experience like a protest/gathering

Old 01-23-2017, 12:34 AM   #25
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
Sounds like a lot of conjecture. Trumps not gonna be your typical Republican candidate, that's for sure.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:35 AM   #26
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I wouldn't mention it if the white, university educated, six-figure-salaried people on my FB feed weren't so visibly anti-Trump and committed to a march that is supposedly in part about racial injustice.
I'm responding to you the way I was taught to respond to people who criticize like you by my black female racial justice professor, one of the most intelligent people I have ever met. Your opinion is valid. Trying to invalidate the work others are doing in good will is not.

You have an excellent point in many ways. Feminism and white supremacy have gone hand-in-hand in the past. What I saw people saying yesterday is that this is NOT the feminism they are fighting for now, which must be inclusive and intersectional. I was honored as a white male to march with such an amazingly diverse group of women (and men too). The march yesterday looked like America, it looked like everyone.

It's hard to want to consider your opinion too hard when your evidence is what your conservative cousins talk about and which of your fb friends were attending, plus you aren't really explaining what you think all of us should be doing instead to protect our rights and the rights of people we love. It feels like you are being a cynical defeatist. Is the place of women of color to sit at home and pay bills? is that what they are supposed to do because that's what your cousins do? Were all these black and native and lesbian and hispanic women there yesterday doing something wrong by making their presence known to a rapist president who wants to destroy the ACA and defund Planned Parenthood? What should they be doing instead?

Last edited by redbreegull : 01-23-2017 at 12:42 AM.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:35 AM   #27
fuzzyroes
Banned

You guys see Maddonna ranting and raving about blowing up the white-house?

Deplorable. I guess she'll do anything to gain some press now that her music career is irrelevant.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:35 AM   #28
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Man, it's a good thing Bill Clinton wasn't in office in this day and age. There would be an outright civil war taking place
bill clinton at least could have run the country (and did) while being a sexual predator (not that it makes up for any of it. you're right people would be upset and should have been back then, too, but info is disseminated differently today). trump doesn't have anything at all to bring to the table.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:36 AM   #29
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Let's try to have the spirit of inclusion here. Rbg isn't a woman but his heart is in the right place. He didn't do anything wrong at all by participating.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:36 AM   #30
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Sounds like a lot of conjecture. Trumps not gonna be your typical Republican candidate, that's for sure.
It's not conjecture, they are already working on appealing the ACA, and honestly I'm more worried about Pence's agenda