Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #31
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
That is a fucking miserable way to lose someone very close to you. Maybe the worst way, honestly.
I was thinking about this earlier. It's got to be the most horrible feeling when someone you love kills themselves because it makes you wish you could've helped them or done something... or like you were a part of their life that wasn't worth living or was too miserable to keep living.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #32
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

let's get into the argument about suicide again wrt it being just as selfish for people to not allow you to kill yourself when you want to die because it will hurt them

Old 08-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #33
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
He was a fantastic entertainer. But that's not really the major loss. His wife and kids lost a husband and father. To suicide. That is a fucking miserable way to lose someone very close to you. Maybe the worst way, honestly.

He was known to have severe bipolar disorder to the point where he was like the archetypal bipolar entertainer. Up there with Kurt. Generally when you have it that bad, they put you on lithium which has a long list of really unpleasant side effects.

People with bipolar disorder have a life expectancy about ten years shorter than the national average. One in five dies from suicide. And it's a condition that typically worsens with time, even with treatment. I've many times thought to myself in the past, in times of perfect contentedness and lucidity, that I would probably die that way, and it's difficult for me to read statistics like that which corroborate that. And then a high profile case like this happens and people feel the need to judge or call it a selfish act.

I dunno. This shit just bothers me a lot for a lot of reasons.
it is troublesome. as healthy as i feel lately, i sometimes really think i will still kill myself one day.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:40 PM   #34
D.
Consume my pants.

i didn't make a facecrook post, i just made a snarky comment about how it's unfair that dane cook still lives on trots' post

Old 08-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #35
Bread Regal
Banned

@duovamp

exactly.

mental illnesses are diseases of perception. bipolar people in the middle of an episode are experiencing an extremely distorted reality and they therefore cannot properly evaluate the potential consequences of such a severe act. people don't make the conscious decision to end themselves because they've rationally weighed the pros and cons of doing so. it's because they're sick.

you don't call someone selfish for succumbing to cancer. and you shouldn't call someone selfish for trying to end their misery. in both cases, the suffers have a tenuous control over their own condition, and losing a loved one to suicide should be viewed similarly to losing them to any other illness. social mores make this very hard, though.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #36
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
He was a fantastic entertainer. But that's not really the major loss. His wife and kids lost a husband and father. To suicide. That is a fucking miserable way to lose someone very close to you. Maybe the worst way, honestly.

He was known to have severe bipolar disorder to the point where he was like the archetypal bipolar entertainer. Up there with Kurt. Generally when you have it that bad, they put you on lithium which has a long list of really unpleasant side effects.

People with bipolar disorder have a life expectancy about ten years shorter than the national average. One in five dies from suicide. And it's a condition that typically worsens with time, even with treatment. I've many times thought to myself in the past, in times of perfect contentedness and lucidity, that I would probably die that way, and it's difficult for me to read statistics like that which corroborate that. And then a high profile case like this happens and people feel the need to judge or call it a selfish act.

I dunno. This shit just bothers me a lot for a lot of reasons.
Is there any hope for these individuals? Williams, like many, have every resource at their disposal and are widely known to suffer from severe depressing and substance abuse. He was in rehab/a mental hospital in July and less than a month later is dead.

This hits home for me as I found a family member dead after they killed themselves. But like Williams we knew suicide was a possibility, they had extensive help, and no matter what they went back into the downward spiral every time.

Depression has a terrible stigma but I'm not certain how much that comes into play in these cases. I'm fortunate to never being able to understand this mental state but am always astonished at the amount of people who do.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #37
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
@duovamp

exactly.

mental illnesses are diseases of perception. bipolar people in the middle of an episode are experiencing an extremely distorted reality and they therefore cannot properly evaluate the potential consequences of such a severe act. people don't make the conscious decision to end themselves because they've rationally weighed the pros and cons of doing so. it's because they're sick.

you don't call someone selfish for succumbing to cancer. and you shouldn't call someone selfish for trying to end their misery. in both cases, the suffers have a tenuous control over their own condition, and losing a loved one to suicide should be viewed similarly to losing them to any other illness. social mores make this very hard, though.
Incredibly rational and sensitive.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #38
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
Is there any hope for these individuals?
Another cancer analogy: you have to choose the method of treatment that will keep the cancer from recurring, even if the chance of success isn't 100%.

Lots of treatments exist that work spectacularly well for many people. Other drugs like lithium (which I believe was one of the drugs he was on) carry some not-insignificant side-effects that come as a trade-off. People also often have to rotate between drugs because their bodies stop responding to it.

Cognitive behavioral therapy often works very well as it helps to identify environmental triggers for these episodes.

So to answer your question, yes, there is hope for these people, but it is necessary to stay vigilant for these methods to remain effective.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #39
Bread Regal
Banned

ive said my piece. goodnight.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #40
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Another cancer analogy: you have to choose the method of treatment that will keep the cancer from recurring, even if the chance of success isn't 100%.

Lots of treatments exist that work spectacularly well for many people. Other drugs like lithium (which I believe was one of the drugs he was on) carry some not-insignificant side-effects that come as a trade-off. People also often have to rotate between drugs because their bodies stop responding to it.

Cognitive behavioral therapy often works very well as it helps to identify environmental triggers for these episodes.

So to answer your question, yes, there is hope for these people, but it is necessary to stay vigilant for these methods to remain effective.
Pretty disheartening that people still have to explain this due to ignorant comments.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #41
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Yeah, combined with pervasive stigma about depression and other mental disorders, it's not really surprising that so many people adopt a "suck it up, you died because you were weak" attitude. It's not really any different than telling someone with ALS or MS to suck it up and start walking. There's a physiological basis for these things

He was probably the first actor I knew by name. Genuinely sad.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #42
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:

Good stuff. Unfortunately human nature overrides that vigilance far too often. The stigma behind the mental illness, if you care to call it that, needs to change drastically.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:00 AM   #43
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Thanks for that, having discussions is stupid, why even bother posting anything

Old 08-12-2014, 05:45 AM   #44
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
do you guys ever think about all the actors who we are going to get old and die who were known as "young" actors. like dicaprio and johnny depp. we are going to watch those guys go from kid actors to old actors while we age. isn't that sort of mind boggling? like my parents went through this with like clint eastwood and jack nicholson. those dudes were young actors and now they are old men in old man roles.

isnt that fucking crazy
I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I was watching some ancient movie with my pops the other night. It was some dinosaur flick with Chritopher Walkins... And he was actually this handsome, good looking guy back in the day... It made me sorta realize that: "fuck, getting old kinda sucks"

Here is in his prime:http://ilarge.listal.com/image/63260...her-walken.jpg

And now a more current photographhttp://www.picpicx.com/wp-content/up...221a280a34.jpg

Old 08-12-2014, 05:49 AM   #45
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
i propose that in reality NOBODY gave a shit about robin williams and he knew it and that's why he's dead
Robbin Williams is sooo funny. I bought this old VHS of his standup act in he 80's from an old decrepit video store a year ago and it's fucking hilarious. You can tell he's so high on blow.

The guy's great at playing a wide range of roles. I was just watching that movie "Jack" where he plays a little kid a couple moths ago (that I also bought from the video store) and I got a kick out of it.

And One hour photo. Si the photo guy... Just epic.

Such a tragic loss.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:57 AM   #46
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
Good stuff. Unfortunately human nature overrides that vigilance far too often. The stigma behind the mental illness, if you care to call it that, needs to change drastically.
Yeah, It's a shame that in this generation people still have to feel shame and hide their emotional problems

Old 08-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #47
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

someone mentioned medications and ilikeplanets rears her ugly head.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #48
whywontyoulistn
Ownz

Ju-fucking-manji.

p.s. the kid was Kirsten Dunst. Fuck.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #49
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

http://www.salon.com/2014/08/12/mari...de_by_hanging/

Quote:
Mr. Williams was last seen alive by his wife at approximately 10:30 pm on August 10th, 2014, when she retired for the evening in a room in the home. It is unknown at this time when Mr. Williams retired for the evening in a bedroom in his home. At approximately 10:30 am, on August 11th, 2014, Mr. Williams’ wife left the home believing Mr. Williams to still be asleep. Mr. Williams personal assistant became concerned at approximately 11:45 am when he failed to respond to knocks on his bedroom door.

At that time, the personal assistant was able to gain access to Mr. Williams’ bedroom and enter the bedroom to find Mr. Williams clothed in a seated position, unresponsive with a belt secured around his neck with the other end of the belt wedged between the closed closet door and the door frame. His right shoulder area was touching the door with his body perpendicular to the door and slightly suspended. Mr. Williams, at that time, was cold to the touch with rigor mortis present in his body and rigor mortis positioned appropriately from the position he was in. The inside of Mr. Williams’ left wrist had several acute superficial transverse cuts. A pocket knife with a closed blade was located in close proximity to Mr. Williams. The pocket knife was examined and a dry, red material was located on the blade of the knife which appeared consistent to dried blood. It is unknown at this time if the dried, red material is, in fact, blood or if it is Mr. Williams’ blood. But scientific testing will be conducted to evaluate its investigative value

Old 08-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #50
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i've had several close friends who've committed suicide. you don't know shit

Old 08-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #51
slunken
Virgo

top 3 movies:

1. toys
2. mrs. doubtfire
3. good morning vietnam

Old 08-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #52
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

first day as a woman and i'm already getting hot flashes

Old 08-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #53
Order 66
Socialphobic

i liked when he played capt hook.. he was also cool as aladdin

Old 08-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #54
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
Scotty, it sounds like you need a lesson in feeling bad for people that hang themselves.

Lesson 1: feel bad when someone hangs themself
Lesson 2: don't use hanged man emoticons
Lesson 3: everyone has a disease. Find out what yours is and you won't be held responsible for anything that you do.
wow, what a fresh, no-bullshit approach to mental health. this guy sees mental illness for what it really is: an excuse to abdicate responsibility for your actions. i've seen the light. how can i subscribe to your newletter?

Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #55
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

williams was sick and is also responsible for what he did. it's not either or.

it is sad but if he really wanted to die, he made it 63 years in pain and imo has the right to do whatever the fuck he wants with his life. so im sort of happy for him that he is not in pain anymore. obviously it would have been better if he had been able to get his illness under control, but since he obviously couldn't, i don't begrudge him. he was bipolar and a drug addict (off and on) his entire life and was very open about it all. this isnt exactly the most surprising way for him to die.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #56
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

this is why i sometimes dont think i can ever be a therapist. i dont think suicide is immoral or wrong in any way. i would obviously do everything i could to help a client but after years of therapy and medications and no improvement i would empathize with their urges to kill themselves. perhaps because i have been there. it's not a selfish thing at all. i think no pain is better than severe pain for the rest of your life.

then again i've been in situations where i've called police on suicidal people.

oh well #yolo right

Old 08-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #57
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis The Fat Years View Post
did tony stewart hit him too?
I think he would have appreciated this joke.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #58
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Poot, youre a fucking jackass

Old 08-13-2014, 12:23 AM   #59
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

netphorian tradition.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:25 AM   #60
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

searching for threads with hell in the title brings lots of lols