Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

Unhappy Songs that have made you cry.

I'm not really one to cry (far too manly, of course), but I can think of at least two songs, and they both relate to the same thing, really, now that I'm coming out of this "coma" and noticing what I lost way back when things fell apart.

My only long-term relationship ended after three years with me having a total breakdown and then getting hospitalized. I shut down emotionally for a very long time. I first noticed I was getting my feelings back when I started to well up hearing this. The lyrics fit so well it might as well have been written by my ex, who, in hindsight, was the best thing to happen to me.

It corresponds so well, what with our almost constant drinking (my influence) and with us being "mischievous", etc. Even "I got your message by the way" fits, seeing as she finally acknowledged a Facebook PM I'd sent asking for forgiveness for a bunch of stuff. Anyway, she's got a partner and a baby now and I'll never see her again, but really I'm just happy that I'm finally sad about losing her, which is better than being totally numb.

Anyway, I can hear it now with no tears, but there was a time when it really got to me.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

This is the second one, and it's even more appropriate, it was kind of "our song", but not in a cheesy way. Just reminds me of the "honeymoon" period where we'd just met and couldn't take our eyes off each other.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

Sorry for being a big cry baby.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Old 11-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
slunken
Virgo

Old 11-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
never heard this one before, but... bbbut...20 seconds in and

Old 11-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

slunks that tune is GREAT

Old 11-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #9
pavementtune

Old 11-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #10
slunken
Virgo

i think i've posted that video a handful of times here and there. it's from the ex-wu lyf frontman and it's a couple years old. i guess it was meant to be though because while searching for it i noticed he finally released a follow-up just a few weeks back. under the name "luh" and the song is called "unites"
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/17178-luh-unites/

Old 11-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

yeah i was dissapointed by the lack of album upon googling him. I didn't really dig Wu Lyf but Luh seems good.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #12
slunken
Virgo

lost under heaven

Old 11-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #13
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah

Old 11-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #14
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I don't know...we'll be here all day....

Let's start with some of the latest ones first:

Its kinda pointless to get into the Radiohead songs because that's like half of them but i've tried to think of the one that does it the most and i think it has to be:

Even if "if i could be who you wanted all the time" in FPT is pretty much certain to still get to me me everytime.

This one might seem weird cause its pretty utempo and not really sad lyrics but I kinda associate it with my mental problems a lot . The chorus mainly. I remember a pretty bad nervous breakdown many years back where i couldn't stop sobbing during the "everybody's crazy" part.

And im sorry to be super soppy but this is "our" songs. I mean me and my gf. And they still make me cry everytime i hear them:

Old 11-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #15
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Fuck you i just lost my shit to melancholy hill again.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:16 PM   #16
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

But in my opinion the song which i still believe 20 years after i first heard it is probably objectively the saddest song in the history of mankind is this french classic:

I know y'all don't know french, but the lyrics are extremely well written (btw sorry for the lame video with lyrics, it was all live otherwise) and what they are about is.... how with time everything and everyone goes away and you're left with nothing and even your good memories of youth turn to shit and your love dies and well....yeah...REAL FUN STUFF....and Leo ferre was old when he wrote this so he should know. Well im not sure he was super old but over 60 anyway. Perfect song to kill yourself to. I remember being 16 and thinking well shit if he thinks this way with his life experience..why should i even bother i already think things are shit..

Old 11-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #17
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Perfect song to kill yourself to.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #18
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

waking to the silence in your voice ~

even coming from a place of sheer happiness and contentment, I have difficulty listening to this

Old 11-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #19
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
I wasn't being serious.

Mainly saying the song is SO sad and such a downer you might as well after hearing it.

Though if you were to compile a list of french songs people committed suicide to most, i wouldn't be surprised if it topped the list...

Old 11-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #20
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

If a song makes you feel like commiting suicide OR you are thinking about which song you are going to listen to while you commit suicide then NEWSFLASH you don't actually want to die.

Suicide is a real thing that happens to real people. It is NOT a cultural token of your romantic ideas about sadness. If you were to compile a list of french songs people committed suicide to the most? Seriously?

Old 11-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #21
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

What I need is somebody around here who can defend a position worth a damn so I don't get bored enough to engage with people like teb

Old 11-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #22
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
If a song makes you feel like commiting suicide OR you are thinking about which song you are going to listen to while you commit suicide then NEWSFLASH you don't actually want to die.

Suicide is a real thing that happens to real people. It is NOT a cultural token of your romantic ideas about sadness. If you were to compile a list of french songs people committed suicide to the most? Seriously?
And I need to relax?

jesus man. What the fuck. you need to learn how to read my tone.

If you need to know cause apparently you do cause you just assumed a lot of things about me... i'm not a suicidal person nor romanticize it. So no, i dont actually want to die because it doesn't even cross my mind. Death does, a lot, but not suicide. I'm too terrified of death to kill myself. Death is actually the LAST thing i want.

And yes its a real thing, i'm not making light of it either. Though it is something that there and exists, its not a taboo thing to mention, or even joke about...

Old 11-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #23
pavementtune

Quote:

Its kinda pointless to get into the Radiohead songs because that's like half of them but i've tried to think of the one that does it the most and i think it has to be:

Even if "if i could be who you wanted all the time" in FPT is pretty much certain to still get to me me everytime.

This one might seem weird cause its pretty utempo and not really sad lyrics but I kinda associate it with my mental problems a lot . The chorus mainly. I remember a pretty bad nervous breakdown many years back where i couldn't stop sobbing during the "everybody's crazy" part.

yea, I thought about which songs I had bawled my eyes out while hearing it, and well, a whole list of Radiohead songs came to mind. I couldn't decide which one to post, and thought fuck it, Radiohead duhuh.
but this one is number 1 on my list, I had a pity party with this song on repeat for several months. runner up is Exit Music.

and thanks to slunken and that fantastic track I have a new instant-crying track now. I love that song already.

also on the crying list - PJ Harvey The River, and yes of course Buckley's Hallelujah, and um, 30 more, not counting Blues/Jazz. Porgy and Bess - you can cry throughout. (and not counting Pumpkins, I cried to SP on repeat when MCIS came out.)

Old 11-20-2014, 12:42 AM   #24
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
And I need to relax?

jesus man. What the fuck. you need to learn how to read my tone.

If you need to know cause apparently you do cause you just assumed a lot of things about me... i'm not a suicidal person nor romanticize it. So no, i dont actually want to die because it doesn't even cross my mind. Death does, a lot, but not suicide. I'm too terrified of death to kill myself. Death is actually the LAST thing i want.

And yes its a real thing, i'm not making light of it either. Though it is something that there and exists, its not a taboo thing to mention, or even joke about...
teb

dude

relax

Old 11-20-2014, 12:43 AM   #25
pavementtune

Quote:
As far as Radiohead, Codex is one of their saddest songs.
I can easily cry to almost any Radiohead track by now. I was at their 9/11 gig, and sometimes I get some sort of PTSD stuff going when hearing Radiohead.

and these lyrics, fuck you whoever started this thread. fuck me for listening to this

Old 11-20-2014, 12:47 AM   #26
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
teb

dude

relax

Well cut me some slack.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:49 AM   #27
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

dude relax

Old 11-20-2014, 12:49 AM   #28
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
who is calmer right now, TEB or Sonic Johnny? Calm contest, GO
Im just lying here in bed with my laptop over my chest. And a cat on each side. Pretty goddam calm.

Correction, one of the cat just decided he really had to be on me actually.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:54 AM   #29
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

True Love waits is one of the great ones to induce crying for sure.

If i name my top ten rh song i probably have cried to any of them many times..

Old 11-20-2014, 12:54 AM   #30
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

relax