Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #181
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
you misspell a ton, too, johnny boy, but you don't notice since you don't know how to spell what you misspell.

ok?

in Austraya, we would call this stunner vayue entertainment

Old 11-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #182
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

she should of never said anything

Old 11-17-2017, 08:34 PM   #183
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Plus I mispell my name.

It has no h. It's a heterodox thing.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #184
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

took misuses word on purpose, i mean obviously. his two main descriptors (senescent and diphthong) are made up definitions that sound like they could be right but are completely wrong. i mean does anyone not realize he does it on purpose?

Old 11-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #185
TheEdgeboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I don't know, but they should. Franken should just resign. If he stays, he damages the Dems.

Having said that I don't think the assault he is guilty of is quite as bad as cruising the town trying to have sex with children, holding them against their will, attempting to rape them in your car, etc. but yeah Franken committed battery, he needs to go

If this is where you draw the line, there might be 5 people left in all of congress when its all said and done.

Those 2 democratic ladies that got dissed by the DNC and i'd guess there's at least 3 actual monogamous scandal free Republicans.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #186
vixnix
Socialphobic

We should get black coffee and no food sometime Took and engage in an argument about what is truly seminal Borges

Old 11-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #187
vixnix
Socialphobic

I can't believe I just missed the opportunity to say semenal Borges

I am untr00 and will separate myself from the camp. prepare the pigeons

Old 11-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #188
buzzard
Minion of Satan

This Franken guy looks like Boromir's dad in the Lord of the Rings movies.

...and Pacey's dad in that horrible Fringe show.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #189
FoolofaTook

Thank you reprise.

Vixnix Borges is awesome but I won't lie some of his stories are beyond me. I am sure I miss tons of stuff that's in his stories. He was an intellectual; I am an astral navigator.

Btw it was Boris that turned me on to Borges with their song A Bao A Qu. I love Boris.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #190
FoolofaTook

Boromir's Dad.

DENETHOR II SON OF ECTHELION II

Old 11-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #191
FoolofaTook

Did you guys know that Aragorn served Ecthelion II when Denethor was a wee lad?

He used the name Thorongil to hide his identity. He was a captain of the Fleet of Gondor and did some major damage to the Havens of Umbar (or something I forget exactly.

And that doofushead Boromir dared question his legitimacy! Faugh!

Old 11-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #192
FoolofaTook

See Aragorn was ubersenescent. Through his mortal bloodlines he goes back to Beren and Turin and Huor and Hurin, four of the most badass badasses of all time. Through his Elven bloodline he goes back to Luthien who was the daughter of Melian who was a Maia. That's a demi-goddess, one step below the Valar aka the Ainur who helped Iluvatar create the Universe.

So Aragorn was really fucking badass, in conclusion.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #193
FoolofaTook

(this is what happens when I am sober).

Old 11-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #194
vixnix
Socialphobic

Here's an interesting and potentially damning fact about me.

I have never read Tolkien.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #195
vixnix
Socialphobic

Should I? Obviously my own answer is no, but I've been waiting all my life to be persuaded otherwise.

It was right there on the bookshelf in the living room along with every other book and record my Dad owned. He never forced anything on us. I picked up Shostakovich and Mahler from him, and Dostoyevksy. And Kafka. But Tolkien just never appealed.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:49 PM   #196
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Should I? Obviously my own answer is no, but I've been waiting all my life to be persuaded otherwise.

It was right there on the bookshelf in the living room along with every other book and record my Dad owned. He never forced anything on us. I picked up Shostakovich and Mahler from him, and Dostoyevksy. And Kafka. But Tolkien just never appealed.
he's kind of like the smiths in that if you don't get into it when you are 16, it's too late

Old 11-17-2017, 10:09 PM   #197
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i read the hobbit when i was like 20 and i hated it. it wasn't terrible but i don't get the hype whatsoever. never considered reading the other books.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:04 AM   #198
buzzard
Minion of Satan

How else are you going to learn the history of a fictional species of humanoid smoking fictional plant matter that's effectively indistinguishable from tobacco?

Making it through a single page of Tom Bombadil is how I earned my bravery award.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:47 AM   #199
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
i read the hobbit when i was like 20 and i hated it. it wasn't terrible but i don't get the hype whatsoever. never considered reading the other books.
not that it means you would like the other stuff, but the Hobbit is the outlier

Old 11-18-2017, 03:11 AM   #200
FoolofaTook

The Children of Hurin

That is Tolkien at his best.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:33 AM   #201
FoolofaTook

You like Dostoevsky Vixnix? Me too. Have you read Memoirs from the House of the Dead? That is visceralitude. White Nights is cool too, early Fyodor.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:34 AM   #202
FoolofaTook

Tolkien is for ppl who enjoy reading Samuel and Kings and the Vedas. Not for everyone.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:36 AM   #203
FoolofaTook

I found a Old Testament connection today in the Silmarillion. Eol tries to kill his son Maeglin with a javelin just like Saul tried to kill David with a javelin and later his son Jonathan with a spear.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #204
vixnix
Socialphobic

Are you kidding me, Samuel and Kings are the best. I couldn't read the Gita like you though. Are you going to move onto the Srimad Bhavagatam?

I hung with some Krsna devotees for a while. I brought my guitar along to jam with them, it had a sticker on it that I'd made with a label maker at the pizza shop I worked at. It said EMMA ROCKS. The devotees thought Rocks was my last name, and called me Emma Rocks. I liked them a lot. Plus, they shared my love of coriander and turmeric.

Actually I am a fan of everything OT except Deuteronomy and Numbers because you know. There are only so many recaps a reader needs.

What's your favourite OT book? For a long time, mine was Daniel. He was like the first ever hippie stoner, with his vegetarian ethics and wild visions. I guess you can't really compare the different books, like you can't really compare the books of the prophets with like Ecclesiastes or anything. Obviously Ecclesiastes is top 5. I love Jonah, too. I love how Jonah is like wtf, why did I even come here and God is like eh, stfu. So many great vayue entertainment books like that. People are all like God, wtf. And God is like that's how I roll, you wanna take this outside? Didn't think so. It's like the ancient Hebrew version of the "And then I woke up and it was all a dream" storytelling device. Like "And then God decided not to do that after all, the end." Brilliant. Five stars.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #205
vixnix
Socialphobic

I haven't read Memoirs from the House of the Dead. Will track it down.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #206
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Do you really believe that Harvey Weinstein was only outed for literally raping several women in order that somebody like Franken might go down for that picture?

Because that's pretty dumb.
There was some political analyst on a popular programme yesterday talking about how his sources say this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as politicians being outed goes...

So instead of the public thinking that just Washington is a bunch of perverts and sexual abusers, a bunch of Hollywood types get thrown under the bus in preparation for what's to come. That way they can spin it as just "a cultural changing of the tide" or a new era "enlightenment". Saves Washington from the anger and hatred that they otherwise would have had coming.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 11-18-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #207
fuzzyroes
Banned

TOC called it before I heard anyone else mentioning it. And it makes total sense when you think of it.

To think that this shitload of celebrity exposes just suddenly come out from sheer happenstance would be naive.

I'm telling you guys, when it comes to politics TOC knows his shit. He deciphers how it all goes down. He was right consistently in 2016 during the presidential race and me and Poots were the only ones to point it out. I can understand if you don't like the guy or something, but give props when props are due.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #208
FoolofaTook

Yeah check out Memoirs. It's his first mature work after his Siberian exile. Based on his time in the gulags. Really grim. I have Demons downloaded which I have to read at some.point.

If you like Daniel you should check out Bel and the Dragon. It has been called the first mystery story ever and Daniel pwns some Babylonian priests in it.
The best stuff in the OT is the end of Job when God speaks and various Psalms (137 is my fav). My my fav major Prophet is Jeremiah (the Weeping Prophet) and his Lamentations. It's really sad. He basically preaches to give up. I also love the Elijah/Elisha tales in Kings. But like you said there is TONS of good stuff. Jonah and Esther are super cool little books, Joshua Judges Samuel are badass, Zechariah Joel are hella underrated etc etc.

Having said all this (my dad is an OT scholar so I have always been biased in that direction) the best book in the Bible absolutely has to be The Gospel of John. Reading that in the KJV is a profound literary experience.

Happy Sabbath!

Old 11-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #209
vixnix
Socialphobic

My Grandpa was an OT scholar. He likes Job, too. I'm reading Job with the 12 year old at the moment. We're at chapter 18 and it's you know. A little maudlin at this stage.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #210
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
TOC called it before I heard anyone else mentioning it. And it makes total sense when you think of it.

At this point it looks like the Dems may be willing to throw some choice pols under the bus to get at Trump's sex-abuse allegations. It seems reactionary though and they better hurry, buzz is there's a video about to come down that shows Obama/Clinton administrative collusion with Russia on the Uranium One deal.