Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
JessiMercury
Ownz

Default for pet lovers: hamster and vet drama

i posted this on a hamster messageboard, because i had to resort to asking internet people on how to keep my hamster alive. an unknown fact about me is that i'm an animal lover. i have cats, hamsters, and a cockatiel. well, yesterday i had a nightmare experience at the vet. if you're bored and give a shit about animal welfare, you could bother reading this.

Really upset---wet tail ordeal.
« on: Today at 2:42pm » Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove
So this morning I noticed my brand new hamster, Princess, had what could only be wet tail. She stank, and her bottom half was sticky and wet. Being Sunday, ALL the vets are closed except for an emergency clinic about half an hour away.
I get in the car with Princess and drive to the clinic after they told me they DO have a doctor that can treat hamsters.
Finally, I get there, and wait. And wait. I wait an hour, noticing that people with dogs who had waited a lot less time than me being treated first. Then I'm finally told to go in a waiting room. I wait there. FOR OVER HALF AN HOUR. FINALLY, someone comes in, only to tell me "sorry, there's two dog emergencies". So I wait another 45 minutes, only to find out that the doctor doesn't even know what wet tail is, and doesn't even want to pick up my hamster. She goes and reads a book to find out what wet tail is and comes back with a syringe and a small bottle of antibiotics. I'm supposed to shove the syringe in her mouth and give her the goo orally.
So I now am finally home, she's in a quarantine tank and I'm really sad and nervous. She had a pretty stress free start at my home, so I'm very upset.
Has anyone ever had their hamster survive wet tail? I'm going to do everything I can, I'm just not the kind of person that can sit back and let an animal die. I'm so sad right now.
What really bothers me also is how I waited the longest of anyone there, because I had "just a hamster". It was like a joke to the vet's that I bothered to take her for treatment instead of throwing her in a garbage can. I'm sorry, I love and have a dog, but I believe all animals are equal and I shouldn't have been looked over. I got kicked out of the waiting room so they could see a dog that just got there and nothing was even wrong with him.

More wet tail/vet drama----a note on bad vets.
« on: Today at 5:41pm » Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My boyfriend, upon coming home from work and seeing me crying and upset, heard what happened and immediately called this so called vet. He said we shouldn't have to pay the service fee, only for the antibiotics, because the "vet" didn't even hold, touch, or examine my hamster. She took my word for it because she was clueless about wet tail. She was much more concerned about the dogs in the other room.
Well, not only did my boyfriend get the same excuses and attitude, he was LIED to. They said that "the hamster had been taken into a backroom and examined". An outright lie, since Princess had been with me the whole time. When he called her out on the lie, she said "I'm sorry you feel that way". Well, he reamed her out, saying that we would tell EVERYONE about their awful treatment of small animals and their owners.
I called them back, informed them we would fight their "service" fee to the end when the bill came, and hung up.

I actually just called the editor of the newspaper in the clinic's area. I told her everything, and she seemed interested in running it. Hopefully they will, because this clinic outright lied to my boyfriend about having "examined" my hamster, thinking I couldn't hear. That is unethical, and shows that all they care about is maintaining their payment. Not to mention they showed no sympathy--only attitude--to someone whose pet is deathly ill.
I managed to give Princess her dose of antibiotics, along with syringe-feeding her Pedialyte. I can only pray and hope for the best. I am definitely calling my REAL vet tomorrow, and plan to tell them about my ordeal and ask about my hamster...I really don't trust the other doctor's dosage prescription. I swear, we know more about hamsters than anyone at my "SERVICE" there.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

more boob pics, less typing

Old 09-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

i say we pull train on her and her hamster.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

I'm tired of you always making me be the engine

Old 09-03-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
I'm Hardcore
Banned

do you have head problems

Old 09-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
Karl Connor
ADMlNISTRATOR

thats why i'd never get a small animal like a mouse or hampster as a pet. when they get sick there really isn't anything you can do

Old 09-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Connor
thats why i'd never get a small animal like a mouse or hampster as a pet. when they get sick there really isn't anything you can do
you can post about how sick they are on forums.

and when they die, you can make a new thread about how sad you are and everyone will give you virtual hug.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #8
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

I hope the owner of the 2 dogs doesnt call the editor too. That would really suck.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
Mo
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickbadthing
you can post about how sick they are on forums.

and when they die, you can make a new thread about how sad you are and everyone will give you virtual hug.
post/av

Old 09-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #10
KrazeeStacee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Connor
Well it all depends on where you live. Here in Chicago there's enough people who care to have special service vets for rodents and exotic pets.

That really sucks about your ordeal, there's nothing more I HATE than asshole vets. We just switched back to our old vet rather than the one we go to that's 2 blocks away from us because they're assholes.

You did the very best you could for your little guy and just remember that. So many people would just let the hamster die in the garbage can rather than drive a half hour to an emergency vet on a Sunday. That's the best you could've done, and asking your current vet when you can would be good. Hopefully they have something more to offer you. Sorry I'm of no help, I know next to nothing about hamsters or their illnesses. Good luck, I hope it works out. You really care about your animals and that's a wonderful thing.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:38 PM   #11
JessiMercury
Ownz

i expected basically this response. only heartless assholes and serial killers don't like animals, and the latter category comprises about 98 percent of everyone on the board.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #12
JessiMercury
Ownz

except stacee.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiMercury
i expected basically this response. only heartless assholes and serial killers don't like animals, and the latter category comprises about 98 percent of everyone on the board.
well hey at least i'm not a retarded shallow bitch.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #14
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

In my defense, I did not read one word in your post so I do not feel like I should be labeled as heartless.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #15
Mo
Immortal

Angry

/wrong thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #16
JessiMercury
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickbadthing
well hey at least i'm not a retarded shallow bitch.
At least I'm not a disgusting pig who never gets laid. Only guys who never get chicks speak that way. Or who have serious self esteem issues, perhaps over having a microscopic penis.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:48 PM   #17
JessiMercury
Ownz

oh and i'd venture to say having 15,000+ posts on netphoria doesn't do much in the getting any pussy category.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:51 PM   #18
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

Quote:
At least I'm not a disgusting pig who never gets laid. Only guys who never get chicks speak that way. Or who have serious self esteem issues, perhaps over having a microscopic penis.
whoa check out the psych major on netphoria!

forum asshole + male gender = fat small dick jerk who never got hugged by his mommy

how did you figure me out so quickly?

Old 09-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #19
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

It had to have been the post count.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #20
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
oh and i'd venture to say having 15,000+ posts on netphoria doesn't do much in the getting any pussy category.
oh shutup

Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #21
I Ate My Hamster
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
But posting naked pictures of yourself on myspace says nothing?

Old 09-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #22
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

Old 09-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #23
I'm Hardcore
Banned

lol

Old 09-03-2007, 10:05 PM   #24
I'm Hardcore
Banned

making 10 posts a day over 5 years equates to roughly 15000. That leaves plenty of time to "get pussy", as you so eloquently put it.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #25
I Ate My Hamster
Apocalyptic Poster

With girls like JessiMercury around, it's always easy to get pussy.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:09 PM   #26
I'm Hardcore
Banned

lets get some pussy man

Old 09-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #27
I Ate My Hamster
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore
lets get some pussy man
*Highfive*

Old 09-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #28