Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: can Billy still make a great album?
I still believe 32 32.99%
I am losing faith 28 28.87%
I lost faith with Zeitgeist 20 20.62%
He lost it years ago 17 17.53%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Question how many of you still believe..

..that Billy can still make an amazing album?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
paranoid
Minion of Satan

he was still writing some incredible songs in the first half of the decade.. he just wasn't releasing them . I had held out hope that he would snap out of it and start making records that consisted of his best material.. but he duped me.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
vanitycrieswhy
Oblivious Virgin

i actually liked the residency songs. listen to No Surrender regularly

Old 03-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Shallowed
Braindead

No Surrender and Question Mark were the first of the residency songs to stand out to me. Later I started enjoying Peace and Love, the rest I've forgotten about.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Shallowed
Braindead

I hate this foward thinking shit. Billy has written so much good stuff that he's left to gather dust, probably never to be picked up again. He seems so insistant on working on and releasing the most bollocksy shit he can concieve. It would be neat if he had a look at some of the older stuff he's done this decade, put it on a higher rotate on his repertoire, then come full circle and work on the stuff that he's currently doing.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

"I lost faith with Zeitgeist" is closest to how I feel. The Zeitgeist album was pretty mediocre thanks to its super-shitty production values (an all-time low for Billy, which is frightening considering he's the same guy who crafted Siamese Dream, which is one of the best sounding albums I'll ever hear); that being said, the tour that followed was outstanding, all the way up to Jimmy leaving (or should I say, getting fired by an increasingly out of touch asshole). After Jimmy left, it's like Billy completely stopped caring. The gap in quality of his work up until Jimmy left (Superchrist, Gossamer, As Rome Burns) to what we have now (Widow Wake My Mind, misc. boring uninspired wannabe hippie shit) couldn't be any more obvious. As someone who has at times blindly defended Corgan's output in the past, I can't anymore; after Jimmy was fired it's like Billy put up a white flag. He doesn't care that he's now at best mediocre because he seems to know what's best for his "band".

Old 03-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
TuralyonW3
Immortal

why the fuck is ihaguitar not muted. are there any sp board mods anymore?

Old 03-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I think he's still capable of putting out good songs from time to time. GLOW and Stitch in Time are evidence of that. But an entire album of quality material? I really doubt it.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
Astur
Apocalyptic Poster

He can certainly put out an amazing album. How about an old fashioned double CD of remastered outtakes and stop fucking around with horrible single half-assed mp3s.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
28if
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: yeah seriously i think we've more than established a consensus on reality, it's not that abstract.

I definitely believe Billy has the capability to make another amazing album, but I just don't see it ever happening at this point.

i think we need an adore II.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
I think he's still capable of putting out good songs from time to time. GLOW and Stitch in Time are evidence of that.
uhhh

I think songs like Zeitgeist and As Rome Burns might be evidence of this.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
Catherine Wheel
Banned

What's wrong with GLOW and Stitch in Time?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #13
Order 66
Socialphobic

depends on what you mean by 'amazing album' ... I think all albums of the past ten years were ok in what they set out to be, though I admit Mary star and zeirgeist pushed the mediocrity envelope a bit. TFE was supposed to me a mellow breakup record so in that respect it was pretty good

Teargarden seems like its going to be a sp/BC take on 70s folk rock. so if you can get past that I think it will turn out as his best post 2000 work. If you're expecting geek USA or jellybelly then you're going to complain about t on netphoria

Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #14
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

He has a swan song left.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #15
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermcphilp View Post
He has a swan song left.
I wish.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #16
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Unhappy

i wish this is how i felt

Old 03-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #17
arCHI
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta of Muppet View Post
I hate this foward thinking shit. Billy has written so much good stuff that he's left to gather dust, probably never to be picked up again. He seems so insistant on working on and releasing the most bollocksy shit he can concieve. It would be neat if he had a look at some of the older stuff he's done this decade, put it on a higher rotate on his repertoire, then come full circle and work on the stuff that he's currently doing.
i sort of agree. i think billy can still write grood new music it just seems that his idea of 'modern music' or 'popular music' is really fucked up.

a lot of the residency songs were good. the bonus part of IAGW with the band playing acoustically was great. billy can write good songs, if anything it is his aesthetic that is lacking. he is trying too hard to make his music sound unique...

if billy recorded an album that was mostly acoustic it would probably be really good. he needs to accept the fact that he is not a rock god, or a trendsetter anymore and just write some good songs.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #18
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

The Zwan stuff done live before the album was released was great. Shame it never saw the studio or was butchered in it by Billy the Production Guru...

Old 03-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #19
Cade McNown
Pledge

I don't see what was so bad about Zeitgeist. It isn't as good as pre-2000 material, but against most music it's still a damn good album.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #20
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

you must not have heard much other music since 2000.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #21
arCHI
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cade McNown View Post
I don't see what was so bad about Zeitgeist. It isn't as good as pre-2000 material, but against most music it's still a damn good album.
there were some decent songs on ZG (though some of the decent ones were butchered in the studio) but as an album it is pretty crappy.

it certainly isn't better than 'most music.' maybe most music you hear on a shitty radio station, but not most music in general. come on.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #22
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

There will probably be an original members album/tour when they hit their 50s. Even the most fractured lineups are trotted out in their 50-60 year range as original member tours. That may be the one.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #23
applepwnz
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly View Post
There will probably be an original members album/tour when they hit their 50s. Even the most fractured lineups are trotted out in their 50-60 year range as original member tours. That may be the one.
Frankly that's the 1 main thing I'm hoping for, as long as D'arcy doesn't kill herself with drugs, I could totally see this happening

Old 03-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #24
Cade McNown
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by arCHI View Post
there were some decent songs on ZG (though some of the decent ones were butchered in the studio) but as an album it is pretty crappy.

it certainly isn't better than 'most music.' maybe most music you hear on a shitty radio station, but not most music in general. come on.
If you have suggestions, I'd appreciate it, but I don't listen to shitty radio.

There are individual albums, but the only band I have listened to that's put out music consistantly better than Zeitgeist is Coheed and Cambria. Most of this board jizzes about Radiohead, and I just don't get it. In Rainbows was a pile of shit and Hail to the Thief was mediocre at best. Maybe it's because they compose themselves better that they get more blind following than SP, but they put out a lot better music before 2001.

And maybe I blindly follow SP, but I find myself longing for the days of MSOTS, TFE, and Zeitgeist over this new garbage (Teargarden and friends).

Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #25
IWishIWasBlank
Apocalyptic Poster

I've lost faith.

FATHER FORGIVE ME!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #26
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Hail to the Thief was mediocre at best.
WTF

Old 03-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #27
slunken
Virgo

If this turns into another thread about Tool I'm packing up my things and going home.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #28
cork_soaker
full of longing

hey, how bout that Tool?

Old 03-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #29
slunken
Virgo

You don't mean that.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:47 AM   #30
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i assume he's got another 20 years or so yeah? i'll give him credit that he could maybe make one good album in that time span.