Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #61
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I can vouch for that, I took anatomy and studied the week of and pulled Bs...so dropped out. Loser alert!

Old 09-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #62
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

It's pretty hardcore. I thought language courses were work intensive but I study probably 2x as much for anatomy, perhaps more.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #63
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Having said that, it's not hard work...just a lot of it.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #64
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Never took an anatomy course, no.
I can give you a free lesson.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #65
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I can vouch for that, I took anatomy and studied the week of and pulled Bs...so dropped out. Loser alert!
I kinda slacked at the end and got a 78 on the final. Got an 80 on the midterm. Aced most of the quizzes. I ended up with an A b/c of a shit ton of extra credit. But I never worked so hard for one credit before.

Pulled mostly Cs for the lecture tests

The problem with 1 is it is like... memorize EVERY bone and facets... memorize EVERY muscle... every cell type... etc... with very little physiology. 2 is awesome so far cause it's almost all physiology.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #66
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Having said that, it's not hard work...just a lot of it.
absolutely. definitely not hard. just an extreme amount of information. at least 50% of the class dropped the A1 lab and lecture.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:56 AM   #67
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

where's the redemption?

Old 09-08-2015, 08:56 AM   #68
Cool As Ice Cream

i want mine with cream on top.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #69
vixnix
Socialphobic

Yeah and a lot of class time, too - 3 X 1 hour lectures + 3 hour lab, each week. And everybody always complained that the lecturer went too fast to take good notes, so you had to write them up a second time at home. And there wasn't enough time to finish everything in the labs, either - always work to take home from those. Plus, nobody ever tells you that if you're crap at drawing, don't bother taking anatomy. Exercise in total frustration.

Not everybody is cut out for humanities and law, but if you are, if you have a decent fist for writing, you can definitely spend more time at the pub than science students, I reckon.

Philosophy courses had 2 essays & and exam - the essays were just due in any time before the exam. I would hand them in the morning of the exam having written them in the 48 hours immediately before, and running on no sleep, would then sit the 3 hour exam. And I was still an A student...it was my kind of subject :P

Old 09-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #70
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
where's the redemption?
if you want to be a nurse you must pass anatomy 1, 2, and microbiology

i dont want to be a nurse but my program requires 2 2000 level biology courses. so i had to take 2 out of biology for science majors/anatomy 1/anatomy 2

Old 09-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #71
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Yeah and a lot of class time, too - 3 X 1 hour lectures + 3 hour lab, each week. And everybody always complained that the lecturer went too fast to take good notes, so you had to write them up a second time at home. And there wasn't enough time to finish everything in the labs, either - always work to take home from those. Plus, nobody ever tells you that if you're crap at drawing, don't bother taking anatomy. Exercise in total frustration.

Not everybody is cut out for humanities and law, but if you are, if you have a decent fist for writing, you can definitely spend more time at the pub than science students, I reckon.

Philosophy courses had 2 essays & and exam - the essays were just due in any time before the exam. I would hand them in the morning of the exam having written them in the 48 hours immediately before, and running on no sleep, would then sit the 3 hour exam. And I was still an A student...it was my kind of subject :P
Our course is 2x 75 minute lectures and 1x 1:50 lab per week. The lab time is def. not sufficient but we have a lab classroom in the learning center with all the models and slides so I've gone there a few times.

My prof offers a basic outline to print and bring to class which definitely helps for the lecture. The lab manual was written by two professors on my campus (my prof being one of the authors) so there's little to no extra info. Everything in there you must know.

I suck at drawing and haven't had to draw anything.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #72
vixnix
Socialphobic

Soccer emails continue, my last one reads like this:

Quote:
When I heard about this email thread being passed to [Age group coordinator for totally different age division - who happens to be a friend], and read my own words being quoted behind my back and described as passive aggressive, while nobody thought to address me directly, I could really only laugh.

You guys don’t have enough volunteers as it is, and by someone else’s estimate about 70% the ones who have stepped forward know just about nothing about football, coaching football, or running a novice/volunteer club.

As I said, [club name] is not my first experience with soccer clubs. [Age group coordinator]’s right - I did step up to be the coach of the Raptors when nobody else wanted to. I’m not sure if you noticed, but with me as coach we were only defeated once during the playing season and were graded up two divisions.

I’m not an arrogant person but I am pragmatic. I’m probably the kind of person you would like to have volunteering to be a coach because I get along well with players and parents, understand the game, and can motivate kids to learn new skills and play together as a team. Given my track record with the Raptors this season and my own experience playing the game at this age I’m probably the kind of coach at this level who could contribute insight to the grading process as well.

If you two weren’t so busy engaging in a pissing contest and gossiping behind my back like a couple of fourteen year old girls, one of you might have thought to engage with me directly and get some feedback.

Honestly, what a couple of muppets. I’m not filling in the form because it’s a waste of everybody’s time. Honestly. Take my advice, I’m offering it for free. It’s a waste of time.

cheers,
[My name]
the club is run by muppets, as suspected

Probably went too far, calling them names. Screw 'em.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #73
Cool As Ice Cream

bahahahahahaha

[My name]

Old 09-08-2015, 09:26 AM   #74
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Our course is 2x 75 minute lectures and 1x 1:50 lab per week. The lab time is def. not sufficient but we have a lab classroom in the learning center with all the models and slides so I've gone there a few times.

My prof offers a basic outline to print and bring to class which definitely helps for the lecture. The lab manual was written by two professors on my campus (my prof being one of the authors) so there's little to no extra info. Everything in there you must know.

I suck at drawing and haven't had to draw anything.
I was taking science nearly 20 years ago and the thinking at my uni back then was that there was only one way to learn - they wrote it on the board, and we wrote it down. In the lab it was more of the same...to be honest I know that it didn't suit everyone but for the majority I think it was pretty effective, and it did weed out a lot of people like me with a terrible work ethic...!

Old 09-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #75
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Hi [grading manager's name],

I’m fundamentally opposed to leaving the evaluation of players in the hands of one or two parents, as I have first hand experience with how the subjectivity of that analysis renders lets say interesting results.

I’m the coach of the [team name] (only 3 losses this year, including gala day!) but as I use a mac, the evaluation template won’t load properly. Is there a mac-friendly version?

As I said, I’m not chomping at the bit to evaluate the players I’ve coached all season in this way, and I am also aware that the previous coach of the [team name] returned his results diligently, only for them to be completely ignored.

But if you are keen to have me return the form can I please ask for a pdf.?

Kind regards,
[My name]

[my phone number]
yeah, that was great, vix.
you ruined your own point entirely by going on and on about the file format. well done.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #76
Cool As Ice Cream

and we know [Your name]
you posted it

Old 09-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #77
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
I’m not an arrogant person but I am pragmatic.
Honestly. Take my advice, I’m offering it for free.
lol

Old 09-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #78
vixnix
Socialphobic

Oh, there were emails in between. I can post them if you like, with the [brackets] in them....it has been pretty amusing for other people, tbh. I guess I posted here to get honest feedback on whether I really am out of line and passive aggressive. because I'm pretty sure you guys won't mind telling me.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #79
Cool As Ice Cream

i definitely wouldn't mind

Old 09-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #80
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

it sounds like you take volunteer soccer coaching way too seriously imo

Old 09-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #81
vixnix
Socialphobic

Here's the first one I got back

Quote:
Hi [brackets]

Thanks for your email. Comments in-line below…

Thanks
Douchebag

DR DOUCHEBAG GRADING COORDINATOR

On 1/09/2015 9:55 pm, "[brackets]" <[brackets]@icloud.com> wrote:

Hi [brackets],

I’m fundamentally opposed to leaving the evaluation of players in the hands of one or two parents, as I have first hand experience with how the subjectivity of that analysis renders lets say interesting results. [DGC: I applaud you intent to discuss with the parents of all team members, if that is what you intend. The more open a discussion and individual player analysis the better. Having coached my own boys’ teams in previous years, I always ensured that I collaborated with other parents. Please be my guest to continue down this path]

I’m the coach of the U10 R team (only 3 losses this year, including gala day!) but as I use a mac, the evaluation template won’t load properly. Is there a mac-friendly version? [DGC: strange; this template has been developed with Office for Mac 2011, and no other coach/manager has expressed any difficulties. Perhaps you could ask one of the other team parents to download – Mac or PC?]

As I said, I’m not chomping at the bit to evaluate the players I’ve coached all season in this way, and I am also aware that the previous coach of the U10 R team returned his results diligently, only for them to be completely ignored. [DGC: I find this quite disappointing to be honest. I can absolutely assure you that the previous season’s coach feedback was taken into consideration as part of the grading process, and will again be duly considered in 2016. By not providing an evaluation, you are actually disadvantaging individuals in your own team; your own child inclueded. I’m sure you’ll be familiar with our Grading policy and process, but here is a link to the relevant information posted on our website: [brackets]. Your current Age Coordinator, [brackets], can attest to the work-effort that went into the grading process and evaluations last season. I am currently receiving and reviewing evaluations forms from approx 60 teams across U6 – U18 [bracket] teams. Your input would be most appreciated. If you need assistance, then please let me know]

But if you are keen to have me return the form can I please ask for a pdf.? [DGC: attached as requested]

Kind regards,
[brackets]

Last edited by vixnix : 09-08-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: more brackets

Old 09-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #82
vixnix
Socialphobic

man you think I take it seriously you should check out these guys. They could have just said OK, who cares. But no....they couldn't do that.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #83
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

that sounds like a perfectly reasonable email...? assuming this guy is an elected official or is being paid...?

Old 09-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #84
Cool As Ice Cream

lol vix there was nothing wrong with that reply
seems completely reasonable to me

Old 09-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #85
ilikeplanets
Braindead

mmm redemption and cream

Old 09-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #86
vixnix
Socialphobic

My second email:

Quote:
I’ve followed your method and added my comments.

On 2 Sep 2015, at 10:15 pm, [douchebag] wrote:

Hi [brackets]

Thanks for your email. Comments in-line below…

Thanks
Douchebag

DR Douchebag Grading Coordinator

On 1/09/2015 9:55 pm, [brackets] wrote:

Hi Douchebag,

I’m fundamentally opposed to leaving the evaluation of players in the hands of one or two parents, as I have first hand experience with how the subjectivity of that analysis renders lets say interesting results. [DGC: I applaud you intent to discuss with the parents of all team members, if that is what you intend. The more open a discussion and individual player analysis the better. Having coached my own boys’ teams in previous years, I always ensured that I collaborated with other parents. Please be my guest to continue down this path]

I figure this must be rare, as I’ve never heard of it at [brackets]. But thank you for telling me that as it is what I intend to do.

I’m the coach of the U10 R team (only 3 losses this year, including gala day!) but as I use a mac, the evaluation template won’t load properly. Is there a mac-friendly version? [DGC: strange; this template has been developed with Office for Mac 2011, and no other coach/manager has expressed any difficulties. Perhaps you could ask one of the other team parents to download – Mac or PC?]

I don’t have Microsoft Office, it didn’t come with my 2015 Mac and I have had no need for it, outside of this one instance. Not keen to clog my machine up with Microsoft software I don’t need, just so I can fill out this form.

As I said, I’m not chomping at the bit to evaluate the players I’ve coached all season in this way, and I am also aware that the previous coach of the U10 R team returned his results diligently, only for them to be completely ignored. [DGC: I find this quite disappointing to be honest. I can absolutely assure you that the previous season’s coach feedback was taken into consideration as part of the grading process, and will again be duly considered in 2016. By not providing an evaluation, you are actually disadvantaging individuals in your own team; your own child inclueded. I’m sure you’ll be familiar with our Grading policy and process, but here is a link to the relevant information posted on our website: [brackets]. Your current Age Coordinator, [brackets], can attest to the work-effort that went into the grading process and evaluations last season. I am currently receiving and reviewing evaluations forms from approx 60 teams across U6 – U18 [brackets] teams. Your input would be most appreciated. If you need assistance, then please let me know]

[Age coordinator] herself has asked me if players in U10R seemed to have been incorrectly graded, and has described the grading/evaluation process this year as less than effective. 2014’s grading efforts at [third party venue] could only be described as shambolic, which is how I described it and I was definitely not alone!! The children turned up to be graded and all flocked into the nets without any of the people who were supposed to be grading, taking note of names.

This year’s grading was equally ineffective, and at one point there were not enough people to run the grading stations and poor [club president] was left to beg parents face to face, to help. They all ignored her.

I know of three players who have left, or are leaving [brackets], because of their frustration with the grading/evaluation process. I know of other families that plan to switch codes because they are sick of the lack of organisation and communication at [brackets]. I don’t doubt that it is a huge amount of work, and that it is very stressful for age group coordinators. I think that is all the more reason to forego these coach evaluation forms.

I began playing football at 10 years old because my younger brother was beginning and I tagged along. I loved it so much that I played for two more years at club level and then another 2 years at my all girls high school, before being forced to choose between football and choir (choir won, obviously). With respect to my experiences of both club and high school football I can only remark that MiniRoos level football at [brackets] is dysfunctional.

I find it hard to see how I am disadvantaging players in U10R by not filling out the form. To be honest I think giving 9/10 year olds a numerical score so that they can be rearranged into supposedly better teams, is disadvantaging them, because their abilities as players can’t be adequately reflected by numbers in seemingly arbitrary columns. On top of that, it is a long time until next year, for kids of this age. The improvements they are able to make in that time are immense. Conversely, other players who were good this year may stagnate or lose interest.

On top of that, how is poor [brackets] to know if I’m an ‘easy’ or ‘hard’ marker. What if my 4 is another person’s 2? It’s a waste of everyone’s time, in my opinion.

I support the decision to outsource grading next year to [brackets]. Have each player assessed individually without the baggage of a (probably) inaccurate and unhelpful coach evaluation from 6 months ago.

But if you are keen to have me return the form can I please ask for a pdf.? [DGC: attached as requested]

Thanks. I’ll get those parents who are keen to give feedback on their children fill out the appropriate scores, and leave blanks for the others.

Kind regards,
[brackets]

Old 09-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #87
buzzard
Minion of Satan

This is essentially the email equivalent to parents bickering on the sidelines at a children's sporting event. Not a great look and hardly in keeping with the spirit of things, eh?

Last edited by buzzard : 09-08-2015 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Highly offensive material removed.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #88
vixnix
Socialphobic

And no, not paid. Just another parent who has decided to run the grading at our soccer club.

I googled him and guess what he does for a living, despite listing himself as "Dr. Blahblah" in his signature.

Yes, that's right, he's a consultant. As if we couldn't guess. He and his wife are co-directors of a consulting company. That has no website lol. They're currently working on a contract at the same big bank as my husband and are no doubt contributing to the useless jibber jabber consulting culture there, that engineers and data scientists and you know, people who actually like to get work done, have to put up with.

doooooouche

Old 09-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #89
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
This is essentially the email equivalent to parents bickering on the sidelines at a childrens' sporting event. Not a great look and hardly in keeping with the spirit of things, eh?
would be so much easier if he, like I would, just say "no problems, I understand."

Old 09-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #90
vixnix
Socialphobic

but no. we gotta have the pissing contest