Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2016, 11:15 PM   #1291
cork_soaker
full of longing

Old 09-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #1292
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

OK so my band MINE is recording an album and here's a couple a songs from it.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #1293
cork_soaker
full of longing

Old 09-17-2016, 03:22 AM   #1294
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

as usual, i love this, cork. really subtle and unintrusive. like the harp.
waaaay too short though. you should start making longer pieces. 10+ minutes. this feels like a snippet.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:02 AM   #1295
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
hey you guys love a guy with an acoustic guitar right?
this song is like an hour old. shitty sound cause i recorded it on my cell phone just now.
i have no idea if it's worthless or not. i'll need to revisit it in a few days or something to know. proceed with caution, i'm not a good singer. lyrics in description if anyone doesn't get enough sad vibez from my posts.

I think you have a great voice, a great instrument anyway. If we recorded together we could sing in unison, sounds like we have a similar range. I think it was you I talked to here, about not ironing out imperfections so that it didn't end up sounding contrived. The feeling matches the words. And the words are pretty good.

You could slide this into a Jose Gonzales album and I wouldn't know the difference, but I'm not sure if that's the last thing you want to hear, or not. Sorry, if it is.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #1296
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

thanks vix.

i listened to Jose Gonzales (never heard of him before) - i kind of like the comparison because he has an intimate vibe of just a guy with a guitar presenting his work somewhere in the world, that i liked, but he's kinda boring, seems to mostly play cover songs, and is pretty non-engaging.

so i guess the comparison is probably accurate, but 2real4me

Old 09-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #1297
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
as usual, i love this, cork. really subtle and unintrusive. like the harp.
waaaay too short though. you should start making longer pieces. 10+ minutes. this feels like a snippet.
thanks, t43 br0. your listen is much appreciated, as always.

re: length- i generally prefer making longer pieces that take their time, but hesitate to share 'em simply because they're long, and, well, who the hell wants to listen to all that??

Old 09-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #1298
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

The other day my girlfriend and I wrote and recorded a song called "Spider Sex".

It's about spiders... having sex.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #1299
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
thanks vix.

i listened to Jose Gonzales (never heard of him before) - i kind of like the comparison because he has an intimate vibe of just a guy with a guitar presenting his work somewhere in the world, that i liked, but he's kinda boring, seems to mostly play cover songs, and is pretty non-engaging.

so i guess the comparison is probably accurate, but 2real4me
I just went and listened to some of his stuff. I haven't listened for ages. He definitely has a kind of 'affect' going on. I think the power chord, tugging at the heartstrings, soft, warm, and exceptionally tuneful voice was what prompted the comparison.

Some of the words in your song could be sung against a more discordant or jarring chord or chord progression IMO.

I've been compared to this guy before. I think it was meant as a compliment. I know he seems dull to you, but a lot of people connect with his stuff, so I imagine they'd connect with yours, too.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #1300
The Omega Concern
Banned

trying to work out a solo for this...

Last edited by The Omega Concern : 09-29-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #1301
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Trying to work out a solo to put over that solo? We're double-soloing now?

Cool stuff, though. I noticed that you mostly use upstrokes. Is this part of some economy-picking technique, or just a quirk of yours?

Old 09-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #1302
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Didn't wanna post this because I have this weird thing about not letting people see works in progress, where I only want them to see the final product and not know what goes on behind the curtain, but it's not like I'll ever finish anything anyway so might as well post it.

It's really rough with random volume fluctuations and choppy verse/chorus transitions and the bass and lead guitar are probably both way too loud but this was just supposed to be a rough demo to block in the basic structure of the song so yeah that's my excuse.

I probably won't have time to turn this into an actual song for the next little while, but I'm just wondering if the bassline during the opening riff really fits. I dunno, it feels a little "wrong" to me in the opening part, but then when that distorted riff comes back, it's with the exact same bassline, but it feels okay there.

Also, what's the better method for recording songs that alternate between clean and distorted? Do you guys do the clean verse and distorted chorus as different guitar tracks, or just do it all in real time? I think me doing them in separate tracks is part of why it feels so choppy and weird.

Should the distortion kick in a little before the chorus' first measure (in a lot of tracks, I hear this feedback right before the actual chorus kicks in)? Should I have the chorus abruptly stop as the verse starts, or should I have it fade into it and overlap for a little bit by rapidly attenuating the volume?

Also, the verse in this is the exact same chords as the chorus, but in a different order. I like the transition between them, but overall, it makes the song feel to samey (have this same problem with another song I was working on that is actually just one chord progression, and the chorus just has a riff go overtop it). Like, I dunno if I should just give the verse a different progression, or add another bridge (but the song is kinda long as it is, and though I don't mind long songs, everything I record ends up being around five minutes or more, and I feel like I need restraint). Also feel like the song could do with a bass solo with just a lead guitar going over it, but I can't detect any part where that would fit in nicely.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #1303
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Also I just realized that I don't even hear the bassline when I just use my laptop speakers so maybe it isn't as loud as I think.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #1304
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Trying to work out a solo to put over that solo? We're double-soloing now?

Cool stuff, though. I noticed that you mostly use upstrokes. Is this part of some economy-picking technique, or just a quirk of yours?

hmm...I guess its a quirk. I don't solo much really, but when I do, I drink Dos-equis after a night in a Holiday Inn.

I looped a rhythm part and just played over it. I prefer slow-hand leads a-la david gilmour but proper phrasing is the key to that. Got a little lucky catching a decent wave and will prolly use about 90% of that solo structure.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #1305
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
be careful, I've done the same thing and been like "needs more bass can't hear though computer" then pumped it up and then sounded like bass-ass in the car
Bass is notoriously difficult to monitor, I'll 2nd the try it in the car advice

Basically unless you're monitoring in a treated room, you're gonna need to check that bass on like 3 different sources to get an idea how it'll sit in the mix

Another tip: check your EQ sig on your non-bass bass parts, if you can, and run a high pass filter so those frequencies are freed up for your bass parts

Old 10-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #1306
The Omega Concern
Banned

Old 10-08-2016, 02:54 AM   #1307
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

my band are going to put out a new album in the next coupla weeks, & this is the first single

bonus: tha remix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbLK_y96cpg

Old 10-08-2016, 05:46 AM   #1308
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
i listened to Jose Gonzales (never heard of him before)
also check out junip. it's a band that contains jose gonzalez.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #1309
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
my band are going to put out a new album in the next coupla weeks, & this is the first single

bonus: tha remix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbLK_y96cpg

Your singer there has a nice presence on vocals. Good to hear a guy not have to compromise technique to display an attitude. Nice song overall.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:12 AM   #1310
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i'm the singer

thanks OC

Old 10-09-2016, 12:52 AM   #1311
The Omega Concern
Banned

well done, mate.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:27 PM   #1312
cork_soaker
full of longing

Old 10-16-2016, 09:09 PM   #1313
The Omega Concern
Banned

Corker, that is flat-out fucking awesome. I barely know what the hell it was, but its quite a ride.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #1314
The Omega Concern
Banned

Old 10-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #1315
cork_soaker
full of longing

dear friends and mentors,

our own tehb0lly!!1 graciously permitted me full unbridled and invasive use of two of his lovely creations, Shadows and Faint, previously posted and admired in this very thread. struck by their tender dulcet grace and lonely desert jazz, it came to mind that i might mangle them into forms yet unknown

it is my great pleasure to submit to you a true netphorian sonic collaboration, Shanghai'd.

Disclaimer: no supplementary sounds were added to tehb0lly's original traxx in the creation of this piece; i manipulated only the raw song files

Old 10-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #1316
cork_soaker
full of longing

Last edited by cork_soaker : 10-25-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:56 PM   #1317
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
dear friends and mentors,

our own tehb0lly!!1 graciously permitted me full unbridled and invasive use of two of his lovely creations, Shadows and Faint, previously posted and admired in this very thread. struck by their tender dulcet grace and lonely desert jazz, it came to mind that i might mangle them into forms yet unknown

it is my great pleasure to submit to you a true netphorian sonic collaboration, Shanghai'd.

Disclaimer: no supplementary sounds were added to tehb0lly's original traxx in the creation of this piece; i manipulated only the raw song files
badass

Old 10-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #1318
cork_soaker
full of longing

Old 10-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #1319
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

It sounds like stepping on several distortion pedals at different intervals.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:40 AM   #1320
cork_soaker
full of longing

thanks for listening