Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default New Jimmy C interview

https://art19.com/shows/born-optimis...9-423729631181

Quote:
How art for art's sake can make the world a better place from one of rock's greatest drummers who devotes himself to change through education.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:26 AM   #2
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Pessimism is subscribing to a fear-based existence
Didn't realize Jim got abused as a kid as well. (@around 14 mins) Sad.

Quote:
I still very much am a stranger in [SP]...culturally I didn't really fit in with those guys
Quote:
The thing about me is that I can always play...I always play at the highest level
Quote:
There came a point in my life after I was dismissed from the band where I thought music could take me down....I even quit playing for a while, and now I've gotten back to the point where I do have an accountable relationship with my instrument...I have a session from 8-9 every morning where I practice; it's an amazing thing to have.
Quote:
When you look at kids today, they're exposed to so much fear in the current educational system in America, the first thing kids start thinking about is 'what if I don't get a good grade?'....'What if I don't get good grades in college and I don't get a good job; I'm going to be miserable'. Those are all fear-based initiatives, that's how the general public generally lives their lives....that's counter to the artistic process, where the universe knows best....I'm going to allow for the great things that are going to happen to me to happen; that's a difference experience than this holy shit moment after holy shit moment that kids are experiencing today.....you can manufacture a life as a doctor, but there's so much more that can happen....
Quote:
I'm a successful musician because I get my ass out of bed every morning and practice from 8-9 every goddamn day
Quote:
I don't live in a world where Trump or anybody else rules my existence

He's such a good guy though. He is kinda new age-y and hippie-ish like Corgan, but I respect him about 200x more. Plus he's actually giving back, starting this monastery, doing drum clinics, selling his old equipment, being awesome; rather than doing Alex Jones interviews and being shitty about new Pumpkins stuff and just generally coming off like a dick.

http://refugearts.org

Last edited by Ram27 : 04-04-2017 at 01:38 AM.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:42 AM   #3
lawson
Apocalyptic Poster

I was just reading a couple of these quotes to my wife, which led me to ramble a bit about jimmy/drummers which ended in, "well I guess you can't be a drummer and not be cut as hell." It was funnier if you were very tired and here

Old 04-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
He's such a good guy though. He is kinda new age-y and hippie-ish like Corgan
he sounds like a rich artist neoliberal to me

Old 04-04-2017, 02:05 AM   #5
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I sure hope it was.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:48 AM   #6
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

BORING NEWS regarding the SMASHING PUMPKINS:

(>>34:10)
"We were talking about maybe doing a PUMPKINS-tour later on in the year, but nothing that really, nothing that was really making me go wild "this is gonna be amazing", right."

Doesn't sound like much interest in a reunion with James or even D'arcy...

Old 04-04-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post

"We were talking about maybe doing a PUMPKINS-tour later on in the year, but nothing that really, nothing that was really making me go wild "this is gonna be amazing", right."

I get the sense James is more into the idea of playing in the Pumpkins again than Jimmy, which is really funny if you think back to what was happening ten years ago.

I wonder what's changed for him, because it seemed like he enjoyed the manson and plainsong tours.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Quote:

To give it a more positive spin, he might have just as much interest in a reunion, but not have liked the parameters set out. Maybe there was talk of doing just a few festival shows, or a short tour, and he wanted something more epic. It could just as easily been too SMALL of a tour for him.

Does make me a little twitchy about missing this last in plainsong tour. Figured Jimmy would be here to stay.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:49 PM   #9
Todd White
Pledge

Quote:

I think the context is lost in this short quote. He was discussing routine stuff in the works versus new growth opportunities in 2017. A Pumpkins reunion isn't what challenges him as a musician in 2017. It isn't fair to say he's not interested.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:15 AM   #10
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd White View Post
I think the context is lost in this short quote. He was discussing routine stuff in the works versus new growth opportunities in 2017. A Pumpkins reunion isn't what challenges him as a musician in 2017. It isn't fair to say he's not interested.
It's also irritating that Billy Corgan in March only announced a solo acoustic tour this fall, two weeks later from David Lagana corrected to happen next year...

I'm already sure his solo record won't come out this May

Lagan(n)a's popularity in his wrestling days:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fY0dRSijLp..._6911399_n.jpg

Old 04-04-2017, 02:32 PM   #11
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
I don't live in a world where Trump or anybody else rules my existence
ugh gross

Old 04-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #12
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
I'm a successful musician because I get my ass out of bed every morning and practice from 8-9 every goddamn day
for example, this is a textbook neoliberal self serving circular argument. he's successful because he practiced & worked hard and implies that people are not successful because they are weaker & work less & don't practice as much

its kind of annoying when office professionals say it but its exceptionally perspectiveless drivel when musicians, actors or athletes say it

i'm not trying to put down their hard work but there's lots of failures who worked very hard & practiced a lot. people need to be more concessionary to chance but that doesn't fit into the neoliberal attitude that success in the system & society is a merit based hierarchy so jim sits atop a mountain of someone else's songwriting, collecting royalty checks, and insists its because he "practices 8 hours a day" which, uh, many people can't do because they aren't collecting a paycheck every time "Tonight, Tonight" gets played

Old 04-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #13
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
for example, this is a textbook neoliberal self serving circular argument. he's successful because he practiced & worked hard and implies that people are not successful because they are weaker & work less & don't practice as much

its kind of annoying when office professionals say it but its exceptionally perspectiveless drivel when musicians, actors or athletes say it

i'm not trying to put down their hard work but there's lots of failures who worked very hard & practiced a lot. people need to be more concessionary to chance but that doesn't fit into the neoliberal attitude that success in the system & society is a merit based hierarchy so jim sits atop a mountain of someone else's songwriting, collecting royalty checks, and insists its because he "practices 8 hours a day" which, uh, many people can't do because they aren't collecting a paycheck every time "Tonight, Tonight" gets played
Holy shit you're right I fucken hate Jimmy now

Still probably can't help but cum to his drums, tho

Old 04-17-2017, 04:14 AM   #14
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Good post. There's a lot of battles ordinary people face each day that Jimmy doesnt really have to concern himself with.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #15
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

good points

Old 04-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #16
Trotskilicious
Banned

nah he's just a basic dude, nothing to hate really. its unfortunate how many people get sucked into self-serving concepts tho

i mean we all know jimmy is better at drums than dave grohl does anyone think thats because of "practice"? nah, jim's got some quantifiable x factor that was probably what bill noticed

Old 04-04-2017, 05:26 PM   #17
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
nah he's just a basic dude, nothing to hate really. its unfortunate how many people get sucked into self-serving concepts tho
It's one reason I'm so reticent to ever read or listen to anything from my fave artists, and have sworn off bill completely

It's hard cause I'm curious and wanna know about the making of the things I dig. But then they say something that makes you wanna fart and next time you listen to 1978 it's just a tiny bit less fun somehow

Old 10-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #18
Ram27
dumb

nvmd can't read sorry

Old 04-04-2017, 05:29 PM   #19
Trotskilicious
Banned

bill is who taught me never to read about musicians as people or listen to their interviews, thom yorke's weird whiny fits cemented it

granted there are exceptions like bowie, eno, nick cave, leonard cohen but these guys clearly have a level of intellectual brilliance that puts b0lly corrigan to shame

Old 04-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #20
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Being an awesome musician is no more guarantee of being a great intellectual than being an awesome athlete is.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #21
Trotskilicious
Banned

imo actors are by far the stupidest tho when you break it out

Old 04-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #22
Trotskilicious
Banned

because lebron has an eidetic memory and the dude is low-key brilliant intellectually i'm not kidding, he knows how to manage his brand, direct his business, leverage his standing, he's charming & funny, has weathered relentless criticism & even outright hatred effortlessly and he's been doing this since he was 18

i mean honestly guys with high basketball iq/court vision are usually very very smart dudes

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 04-04-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #23
Trotskilicious
Banned

but if you ask almost any of these people (except sometimes musicians or gregg popovich) about world events/society you get a basket of dumb

Old 04-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #24
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

LeBron is basically the David Bowie of basketball.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:17 PM   #25
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Trots I ban you from using the word neoliberal anymore

Old 04-04-2017, 06:27 PM   #26
Trotskilicious
Banned

do you know what it is

Old 04-04-2017, 06:27 PM   #27
Trotskilicious
Banned

or are you full on bluetarded hillbot fuckhead tho

its basically rand & hayek & friedman & reagan & thatcher & clintons & yes even obama and the overall economic philosophy of late stage western liberal capitalism and if you think it doesn't exist & people can be banned from criticizing it well buddy you must be a democrat

Old 04-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #28
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I know exactly what it is. But when it's used frequently as a blanket insult it's just kinda like dropping cuck all the time

(and fuck hillary)

Old 04-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #29
Trotskilicious
Banned

i'm going after a guy who is virtue signalling his hard work as the sole contributor to his success how am i not to use "neoliberalism" thats one of its pillars, the virtuous natural capitalist hierarchy of work & dedication

Old 04-04-2017, 08:20 PM   #30
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
i'm going after a guy who is virtue signalling his hard work as the sole contributor to his success how am i not to use "neoliberalism" thats one of its pillars, the virtuous natural capitalist hierarchy of work & dedication
I think I'll chime in and just ask if you could hate pls for us more things more often. Then, when you go after neoliberalism, it's great.

In fairness, times are dire and there's a lotta to say about this. But I feel your rage is deeper and wider. I believe in the trotskilicous who inks the lavender skies with spite, god above with his own love, etc