Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #631
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
My friend whose uncle works on the Tonight Show said that instead of Solara they are going to play Where Boys Fear to Tread. Should be cool!
fuck me up fam

Old 06-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #632
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
It's a rather nuanced song. It reminds me of Transformer, You're All I've Got Tonight. But also The End is the Beginning and Tarantula. I also hear a strong goth vibe sorta like Ava Adore but I can't quite put my finger on it. The lyrical connections to Porcelaina too- (and in my mind I'm everyone).
I hear Nirvana, Cars, some punk aspects, pop, indie. Jimmy's drumming is spot on and makes the song. And I can't help but move to it.
It recalls later Rembrandt, and you can also sense the influence of Spenser in the song's structure. I also get the strong intuition that Billy was meditating on the Tibetan Book of the Dead when writing the curious line, "I'm not everyone."

There are so many layers to this song, I feel as though I've barely scratched the surface on my ninth listen.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #633
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Like/Dislike ration would probably be 50/50 and they fucking KNEW that. So they obviously disabled that shit quickly.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #634
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

That means they knew the song was garbage. It's not like they disabled likes/dislikes on anything released in the 90s.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #635
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
My friend whose uncle works on the Tonight Show said that instead of Solara they are going to play Where Boys Fear to Tread. Should be cool!
Yeah and Jonathan Melvoin’s ghost is gonna play keyboards and D’arcy is going to play a 2nd bass

Old 06-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #636
Candy Cane
Demi-God

Location: Where the willows weep and the whirpools sleep you'll find me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theendiscoming View Post
In concert the song appears to have a lot of energy for the moshers.

If they extend the beginning of the song in concert the amount of energy being created & released will be huge. If they change the drums when they are in that part of this song it will again be a build up for the crowd to expel energy.

The Metallica guitar riff in the front lets them kind of get people interested who like the sound. What nobody is seeing or hearing is the fact that Billy wants to keep grunge alive and there are many parts in this song that are 110% 1990s grunge sounds. I hear many parts that sound like a cover of something Nirvana would have played or sang. Listen to the "i'm not everyone" and its spot on. The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is the word "SUN" . That word has not been used much for phrases of songs that have long term life. There is 1 song though and that's Soundgarden Black Hole Sun which is a song that has the statue of bands to stay away from and not mess with it.

So to see them take a Metallica guitar riff, Nirvana segments here & there and then use of the word "sun" shows that Billy is yanking peoples past memories & current for those of us who know music and bringing it back like a subliminal message.
Just thought I'd quote this for anyone who missed it.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #637
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 06-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #638
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
It's terrible. There's no point in it existing.

Some people could be fooled into thinking it's good because there's nothing obviously wrong with it (other than the drumming which is so bad it sounds like either a cry for help or a coded message to listeners - "Yes I know this song is terrible"). The performance, mix and mastering are fine. It's all in tune and in time. Billy doesn't do a rap verse or sing anything really lame. The vocals aren't as good as 90s Corgan but, technically, he can sing ok. It, superficially, "rocks". It doesn't go on too long. It's fine. So it's difficult to say it's terrible as it doesn't do anything wrong.

It's hard to evaluate because ordinarily something like this wouldn't get released. People aren't used to hearing music that's this awful / competent. If it were a new band then they wouldn't get picked up because..why? And if an established band handed something like this in they'd get told to try again and end up in record label limbo. In 2018 with the Smashing Pumpkins though, who cares? It probably took a day in the studio and they can stick it on youtube and spotify, no ones losing any money.

Here's an attempted comeback by novelty band, Limp Bizkit, listen and compare to Solara.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGednQsQ-h8

It's not a fair fight at all - this is a song completely forgotten by everyone by a shit band that no one likes and it destroys Solara on every level.
Summed it up amazingly. Great post.

Totally right about Limp Bizkit.

Here's one of their newer songs, destroys the effort of Solara

https://youtu.be/3xId0y9bycM

Old 06-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #639
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
that's 3 days in, though.

I'm surprised how many views this got already, by the end of the tour it might have more than what Drum+Fife got in 3 years, no?
Weezer has 4,176,662 views on a silly cover that they released less than 2 weeks ago.

200K views for a long awaited Smashing Pumpkins reunion single isn't very good... Even for 3 days in.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #640
fuzzyroes
Banned

They even have a million hits on this cover in 2 weeks and it wasn't promoted at all.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #641
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i don't like limp bizkit's songs but they really do impress me when i watch them live. mostly the guitarist but even durst. half of the time he sounds like a whining 12 year old but when he's in the groove and screaming he sounds pretty damn great

Old 06-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #642
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

for example

Old 06-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #643
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah, they've always been a top notch live band. Always super tight and locked in.

I think in a lot of ways that they're actually quite underrated.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #644
Elphenor
Braindead

fucking hell

Old 06-10-2018, 10:16 PM   #645
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Weezer has 4,176,662 views on a silly cover that they released less than 2 weeks ago.

200K views for a long awaited Smashing Pumpkins reunion single isn't very good... Even for 3 days in.
Youtube clicks really means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Dave Matthews Band doesn't get a lot of views on their songs but they always sell tickets extraordinarily well. Then to play the reverse, that Gotye song "Somebody That I Used To Know" has literally a billion views, yet the tour that supported that single couldn't give away tickets.

I would compare Smashing Pumpkins to Smashing Pumpkins when it comes to youtube to determine how much of a following a song has.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:50 PM   #646
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
for example

even this piece of shit video has 1.7 million views lol

Old 06-10-2018, 11:09 PM   #647
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
Youtube clicks really means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Dave Matthews Band doesn't get a lot of views on their songs but they always sell tickets extraordinarily well. Then to play the reverse, that Gotye song "Somebody That I Used To Know" has literally a billion views, yet the tour that supported that single couldn't give away tickets.

I would compare Smashing Pumpkins to Smashing Pumpkins when it comes to youtube to determine how much of a following a song has.
plus africa by toto is popular right now, it's become a cultural meme. obviously that video is going to get a lot of views from people who would otherwise not ever check out a new weezer song, like me for instance and everyone else on this board

Old 06-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #648
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Always thought the band was called Wizard

Old 06-10-2018, 11:16 PM   #649
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
It’s a better song than Solara

Old 06-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #650
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
I think that's honestly my favorite Wes Borland get-up that I've seen yet. I mean look at that, coupled with his guitar. The guy's great.

*edit* odd, the image shown on the video has him holding a different guitar from the one he uses in the video.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:42 PM   #651
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
plus africa by toto is popular right now, it's become a cultural meme. obviously that video is going to get a lot of views from people who would otherwise not ever check out a new weezer song, like me for instance and everyone else on this board
Okay, well the god-awful single off their last album has well over 5 million views

and that song is even worse than Solara.

Point is, there seems to be a lack of curiosity surrounding the reunion if a brand new "original Smashing Pumpkins" song can only muster up around 300 000 Youtube plays in it's first week.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:43 PM   #652
fuzzyroes
Banned

I mean, I alone have listened to Solara like 30 times on Youtube.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:55 PM   #653
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Fuckin' rocks, doesn't it bro

Old 06-11-2018, 02:18 AM   #654
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Okay, well the god-awful single off their last album has well over 5 million views

and that song is even worse than Solara.
No it isn’t.

Weezer might write goofy attempts at pop songs, but they are still listenable and it’s less embarrassing than trying to be grimdark profound. The White album was a return to form and the last album has some decent tracks. The production and vocals are way better than what Bill is doing.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 06-11-2018 at 02:23 AM.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:03 AM   #655
FoolofaTook

yeah this sucks.

what a surprise.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:05 AM   #656
FoolofaTook

the kills are playing in kragujevac (40 km from where I am) on the 21th, one day after I leave for Israel.

this disappoints me greatly.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:32 AM   #657
vajohna
Ownz

Quote:
Candy cane walks... 'oooown

You know he's going to drop the D off of "down"

Old 06-11-2018, 05:40 AM   #658
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

You know things are getting pretty bad for Pumpkins fans when they start referencing a shitty old "comeback" album from a shitty band doing its worst Rage Against The Machine impression.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #659
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
You know things are getting pretty bad for Pumpkins fans when they start referencing a shitty old "comeback" album from a shitty band doing its worst Rage Against The Machine impression.
Exactly. Solara is THAT bad.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #660
Cool As Ice Cream

best pumpkins single since 1979.