Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default The Truth About Popular Music

Fuck man, this video really hammers the nail on it's head. It's a shame what popular music has become.

Billy Corgan has a cameo in this video. He's actually quite articulate when talking about music.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
Elphenor
Braindead

Axl Rose.jpg

Old 07-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #3
fuzzyroes
Banned

There's a great clip in that video of Frank Zappa explaining how humanity was better off with these old out of touch cigar chomping music executives than the young hip kids that manage the labels today.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #4
Elphenor
Braindead

why executives at all

you're comparing now to a time where independent release and niche labels didn't exist

now that they do, pop can just be pop, and if you don't want that don't listen to the radio

Old 07-04-2018, 11:10 PM   #5
fuzzyroes
Banned

While you have a point, it's hard for people to invest in having a career in music when there's no route to making a living off of it (even in the short term).

There's a reason why some of the best music of the last 70 years has been by major label acts.

Passion is great and everything, but eventually people have to pay the bills, and when that happens, music usually takes the backseat.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:15 PM   #6
Elphenor
Braindead

on the contrary careerism is often what leads to exactly the lowest common denominator music you are supposedly concerned about

Old 07-04-2018, 11:18 PM   #7
Shallowed
Braindead

I fucking knew it was going to be a Paul Joseph Watson video.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:20 PM   #8
Elphenor
Braindead

besides fuzzy you want the same vapid shit just with robust guitars because masculinity roar

Old 07-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #9
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

the problem is more that the quality music that is available to the general public has inarguably decreased a crazy amount over the years, and unless you have a special interest in music and take the time and effort to explore rabbitholes (which most people don't), the great majority of what you're gonna hear out there is music that doesn't even attempt any sort of craftsmanship, but has a sole purpose of making as much money and hooking as many children as possible. that's everybody's loss, and it's a damn shame if you ask me, because even though it was always Money Talking, there used to be a lot of substance to be found even in mainstream music

Old 07-04-2018, 11:25 PM   #10
Shallowed
Braindead

It's so easy to know what to think when your confirmation-bias daddies make videos titled "The TRUTH about _________"

Old 07-04-2018, 11:26 PM   #11
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i mean yeah me personally, i'm not affected, because i just don't listen to the radio and i explore my own avenues. but it's still a pity that music as a general idea that belongs to the public has been downgraded such a critical amount

Old 07-04-2018, 11:28 PM   #12
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

yeah i bet you explore your own 'avenues'

ZARATHRUSTRA!!!

Old 07-04-2018, 11:31 PM   #13
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
the problem is more that the quality music that is available to the general public has inarguably decreased a crazy amount over the years, and unless you have a special interest in music and take the time and effort to explore rabbitholes (which most people don't), the great majority of what you're gonna hear out there is music that doesn't even attempt any sort of craftsmanship, but has a sole purpose of making as much money and hooking as many children as possible. that's everybody's loss, and it's a damn shame if you ask me, because even though it was always Money Talking, there used to be a lot of substance to be found even in mainstream music
this might be true I just don't see a reason to sweat it

I guess because I have a "it's not for everyone" mentality towards a lot of the music I like

Old 07-04-2018, 11:36 PM   #14
fuzzyroes
Banned

Well think Elphie, you think any of those great post-punk bands you like would've found a platform in today's musical climate?

Fat chance.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:38 PM   #15
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

the general public has internet access. so everything you and i listen to is available to them as well.

it's they're own fault they listen to shit.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:40 PM   #16
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Just the truth or the REAL truth?

Old 07-04-2018, 11:40 PM   #17
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Wow so edgy

Old 07-04-2018, 11:41 PM   #18
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Well think Elphie, you think any of those great post-punk bands you like would've found a platform in today's musical climate?

Fat chance.
about half of them are more popular today than they were in their prime

Old 07-04-2018, 11:43 PM   #19
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
besides fuzzy you want the same vapid shit just with robust guitars because masculinity roar
Not true at all. You look at the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and even the start of the 00' and there was always creative good mainstream music to be found. Yes, I realize there was a ton of shit too, but there WAS good stuff. Recently they've switched the music at my work to only current hits and let me tell you brother... YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH IT SUCKS. I think that's what people don't realize. Most of us don't listen to the new mainstream shit, but god, let me tell you. It is BAD.

That video I posted does a spot on job of articulating why it's as bad as it is.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:45 PM   #20
fuzzyroes
Banned

This song plays all the time at my work... Like 2 times a shift and it seriously gets me angry. Like I start getting edgy and pissed off whenever it's on.

227,647,516 views of this shit on youtube.

People gotta stop vindicating these record labels by supporting this shit.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:45 PM   #21
Elphenor
Braindead

I guess if I had to say something negative about music in 2018 it's that local scenes can't form isolated and idiosyncratically as well, the world is too connected, and if you didn't have unlimited access to music on your phone you'd be more inclined to support your local scene

Old 07-04-2018, 11:49 PM   #22
fuzzyroes
Banned

or have you guys heard this shit?

This song really pisses me off too.

1.3 billion views.

I bet RBG likes it lol

*edit* I really had no idea what the band looked like. I can't believe that they look like punk guys. I never would've imagined that in a million years.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:50 PM   #23
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Not true at all. You look at the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and even the start of the 00' and there was always creative good mainstream music to be found. Yes, I realize there was a ton of shit too, but there WAS good stuff. Recently they've switched the music at my work to only current hits and let me tell you brother... YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH IT SUCKS. I think that's what people don't realize. Most of us don't listen to the new mainstream shit, but god, let me tell you. It is BAD.

That video I posted does a spot on job of articulating why it's as bad as it is.
idk man when I was subjected to radio at work it was a station of all 70's and 80's pop and I can't say it was any better

but being forced to listen to music you don't like is awful, so my condolences

Old 07-04-2018, 11:59 PM   #24
fuzzyroes
Banned

lol that's what we used to listen to, trust me man, it was wayyyyy better.

I'm also struck by how much this new shit all sounds the same. And I think that video does a good job of explaining why that is.
It seems like all these singers sound like Maroon 5 these days. It's weird. And it's all like super repetitive and basic melodies with that downtempo vibe, sorta like that Lorde Royal vibe. I've been doing a pretty good job of just tuning it out, but sometimes those songs you really hate just drive a person nuts.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:01 AM   #25
Elphenor
Braindead

your warehouse has radio?

why would it, that's strange

Old 07-05-2018, 12:02 AM   #26
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
Bingo!

Old 07-05-2018, 12:03 AM   #27
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
your warehouse has radio?

why would it, that's strange
It's like a satellite feed that plays throughout the whole building, the store and the warehouse in the back and it's significantly louder in the back than it is on the sales floor.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:04 AM   #28
Elphenor
Braindead

oh it's connected to the store I see

change jobs

Old 07-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #29
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
or have you guys heard this shit?

This song really pisses me off too.

1.3 billion views.

I bet RBG likes it lol

*edit* I really had no idea what the band looked like. I can't believe that they look like punk guys. I never would've imagined that in a million years.
they’re fine and decently creative

not my style but I appreciate em

Old 07-05-2018, 12:06 AM   #30
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah, it really is time I do that. I need to start making more money. It's just hard though, when you're complacent and know exactly what to do.

I don't even talk to my manager at all or have task lists, I just come in and know what to do. It's nice to have no one breathing down your neck, although night shifts can be a little bit lonely.