Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2021, 03:10 AM   #31
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
Yeah, not disagreeing with you. Just trying to get the story straight, although it's no surprise there are inconsistencies. I remember in the Graceful Swans documentary them saying drugs were forbidden, and anyone who was found to do them was going to get kicked out of the band. I think they said that about alcohol too but I'm not sure.

Obviously that was untrue and they've been pretty forthcoming about the Gish era and LSD. It bums me out a little to hear there were shows played high in the SD era just because I kind of liked the idea that Billy just kinda gave up the rock star pretensions when he realized he couldn't pull it off and just decided to be himself. It doesn't ruin it for me or anything but whatever. Not surprised at all to hear about drug use in LA post MCIS as that seems to fit the overall vibe of that time.
Yeah that no drugs bullshit is a huge lie for sure until at least Jimmy got kicked out, and likely much after. He even admitted taking pills with the "Manson boys" during Adore era. Maybe there was a sober period in there.

For the record, I don't think LSD/mushrooms should be put on the same plane as other drugs in this case. They aren't drugs of abuse, not even in the way pot can be for some. So if he said "drugs weren't allowed" and they were just doing psychs I wouldn't consider that much of a lie in the same way as doing actual hard drugs.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:12 AM   #32
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I saw a TBK era show (I know) and I guess the pot smoke pissed Corgan off because he bitched about it several times and literally pointed fingers in the direction he thought it was coming from.
He's been making spicy pot diss half-jokes since at least 2007.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:14 AM   #33
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

This is 1997, so post Jimmy being kicked out.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #34
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
Yeah, not disagreeing with you. Just trying to get the story straight, although it's no surprise there are inconsistencies. I remember in the Graceful Swans documentary them saying drugs were forbidden, and anyone who was found to do them was going to get kicked out of the band. I think they said that about alcohol too but I'm not sure.

Obviously that was untrue and they've been pretty forthcoming about the Gish era and LSD. It bums me out a little to hear there were shows played high in the SD era just because I kind of liked the idea that Billy just kinda gave up the rock star pretensions when he realized he couldn't pull it off and just decided to be himself. It doesn't ruin it for me or anything but whatever. Not surprised at all to hear about drug use in LA post MCIS as that seems to fit the overall vibe of that time.
He mentioned in the infamous "go ride around in a white van" interview from 2010 that the band stopped taking psychedelic drugs before shows in 1991/92 after it became too difficult to remember the arrangements and keep the playing tight as the songs got more complex.

Old 11-19-2021, 11:04 PM   #35
srt4b
Ownz

remember when Jimbo was a Silicon Vally tech douche ceo of a fucking IE toolbar play for like 5 minutes?

Old 11-20-2021, 12:10 AM   #36
Ram27
dumb

i don't understand how that site was different than twitch or youtube