Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
where is me
Demi-God

Default Billy's Voice - The Last Scream

The end of the beautiful Pumpkins as we knew it, or the end of SP1 whatever, had several reasons I guess. But mostly, to me, it was the change of his voice.

But when and where was the change? I don't know, Zeitgest? And why? I remember that he started having vocal lessons, after most of his words were sung half.

In the formation of SP, wasn't this one of the last screams?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqRjtpgFh1A

Just felt like discussing this again

Thank you.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:40 PM   #2
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

There is a zeitgeist era scream where I believe he passed out on stage can someone please post

Old 11-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #3
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

There was one that went semi-viral during the Byrne era. I remember in interviews around that time, he mentioned that it had happened in 2008, and had occurred a handful of times over the history of the band, but to my knowledge, this remains the only one with footage. If I remember correctly, he said he never compeltely backed out, as he heard the crowd the whole time, but got light-headed and fell into the drum.

Old 11-09-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
where is me
Demi-God

Hey nice find, didn't knew that!

It has been probably ten years or more that I posted somehting on this forum, good to see that it is somewhat still alive!

Old 11-10-2021, 05:33 AM   #5
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

His voice changed between Machina 2 and Zwan. M2 still had touches of the "old" voice, there was no vibrato, it certainly wasn't mixed high, and he did that soft / loud contrast.

By the time Zwan was out, he was singing with vibrato, his vocals were way too high (both in the mix, and the notes he was reaching for), and it was the one "voice" the whole time, without the contrast and certainly no more whispery, Obscured-like vocals.

It's only gotten worse, but there's been some moments over the years - his vocals on Loki Cat for example, are nice. And some of the vox on Oceania aren't bad either. And he's done a few nice things on his solo albums (e.g. Fragile The Spark).

Old 11-10-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
spguitar0
Pledge

https://youtu.be/uVIzbfK3qfU?t=5939

Old 11-10-2021, 10:02 PM   #7
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
There is a zeitgeist era scream where I believe he passed out on stage can someone please post