Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2019, 07:57 AM   #121
T&T
Socialphobic
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 10,056
Default

that grudge must be 30 years old. I don't ever expect an Albini/Corgan team up in any lifetime.

 
T&T is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #122
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 3,009
Default

Funny but I think Billy doesn't hold any grudge. He actually praised Albino on his Instagram q&a the other day.

 
Forgotten Child is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #123
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster
 
NovaFritz's Avatar
 
Location: luna
Posts: 1,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Billy's gotta family and shit now. Still seems weird. I always figured that the old bastard would die alone.
not to spoil his life, but i don't think having children guarantees you won't die alone
bill has years of mental trauma to inflict on them

 
NovaFritz is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #124
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Location: sagandi
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Funny but I think Billy doesn't hold any grudge. He actually praised Albino on his Instagram q&a the other day.
Albini is good at polishing a turd (see Razorblade Suitcase)

Teaming up with him would be too smart for Corgan

 
ninsp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #125
incubator
Demi-God
 
Posts: 363
Default

Albini isn’t really a “producer” producer. I think he even describes himself as a “recorder” or some shit. Dunno if that would be good for Billy and Friends or not.

 
incubator is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:08 PM   #126
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: https://twitter.com/fuzzyroes
Posts: 9,805
Default

Bill would probably have too much of a chip on his shoulder for whatever reason to work with Albini - we're probably more likely to get a collab with Malkmus or something

Honestly they should just self-produce the next thing. As much as one can complain that Machina II wasn't the greatest-sounding record, it was a hell of a lot more exciting to listen to than Shiny & O So Trite

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #127
myosis
Minion of Satan
 
myosis's Avatar
 
Location: the institute
Posts: 6,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
Albini isn’t really a “producer” producer. I think he even describes himself as a “recorder” or some shit. Dunno if that would be good for Billy and Friends or not.
he is a recording engineer, but he is ready to work with anyone who genuinely wants to work with him, and try to get the most accurate sound that is representative of the band.

 
myosis is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #128
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Location: sagandi
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
Albini isn’t really a “producer” producer. I think he even describes himself as a “recorder” or some shit. Dunno if that would be good for Billy and Friends or not.
Well yeah, I know, my point is that he’d give the band some live grit on record which is what they need.

 
ninsp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #129
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster
 
fluxequalsrad's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,243
Default

Albini despises the smashing pumpkins and went out of his way to mock them on multiple occasions. He hates Siamese Dream. There is no way in hell they will ever work together. Billy also can't write songs anymore so there is that.

 
fluxequalsrad is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #130
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: https://twitter.com/fuzzyroes
Posts: 9,805
Default

Where's that gone down? Worst I've seen from him re: the Pumpkins was that SD wasn't his "cup of tea"

In terms of Billy I only ever saw the thing where he called him something along the lines of perfectly amicable

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #131
myosis
Minion of Satan
 
myosis's Avatar
 
Location: the institute
Posts: 6,111
Default

"If somebody wants to work with me I'll usually try to do it. I don't have the luxury of turning down work for petty reasons."

 
myosis is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:14 PM   #132
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: Where are you DeviousJ
Posts: 3,760
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad View Post
Albini despises the smashing pumpkins and went out of his way to mock them on multiple occasions. He hates Siamese Dream. There is no way in hell they will ever work together.
I think this covers most people here

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #133
emilem
Pledge
 
emilem's Avatar
 
Posts: 241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
he is a recording engineer, but he is ready to work with anyone who genuinely wants to work with him, and try to get the most accurate sound that is representative of the band.
he's a producer with a 'i'm not really a producer' gimmick. bob weston is the true engineer. and yeah people say albinie tries to make the band sound most accurate to their live sound, but every band on the planet must really sound alike because you can tell an albini production effort form a mile away. i love steve but he's always bullshitting his way out of admiting he's a bit of a one trick pony. the big drums dry guitars recorded live because he'd rather be somewhere else playing poker kinda guy.

 
emilem is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #134
incubator
Demi-God
 
Posts: 363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilem View Post
he's a producer with a 'i'm not really a producer' gimmick. bob weston is the true engineer. and yeah people say albinie tries to make the band sound most accurate to their live sound, but every band on the planet must really sound alike because you can tell an albini production effort form a mile away. i love steve but he's always bullshitting his way out of admiting he's a bit of a one trick pony. the big drums dry guitars recorded live because he'd rather be somewhere else playing poker kinda guy.
Sounds like Rick Rubin. Big drums would be great tho

 
incubator is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:55 AM   #135
eviltimeban
Ownz
 
eviltimeban's Avatar
 
Posts: 626
Default

While I love the Albini sound (Rid Of Me in particular), it wouldn't work for the Pumpkins. SP aren't a "live in the room sound" kind of band. They are a "each part has to be perfect and tweaked to the nth degree" kind of band. At least, they used to be.

SD was a studio album, not a live album. Gish and MCIS were more live sounding, but SD is where the real fire is. Adore again was a studio album. Machina was sort of a cross between the two.

The conclusion? SP are / should be a studio band.

 
eviltimeban is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:19 AM   #136
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 3,009
Default

I totally disagree. One thing that made me a fan was how the was able to understand the differences between live and studio performances. I saw Radiohead in the in rainbows tour and even tho the band performed well, I wasn't very impressed. It was technically good, but I didn't feel like I they were challenging themselves as a live band.

You hear Adore and then you see the band playing the same songs live with totally different arrangements and it blows you away. I know sometimes it doesn't work, but I kinda like that, it feels (or use to) like they were always on the edge.

How many alternative live versions of Rocket we've got? It even disarm, muzzle etc?

 
Forgotten Child is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #137
smashingjj
netphoria deep state
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: My dad is from the Balkans, so he used to wear speedos.
Posts: 33,640
Default

SP fans on Albini: an exercise in stupidity

Many uninformed takes in this thread, but this one takes the cake for dumbest post I've read in a long time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Albini is good at polishing a turd (see Razorblade Suitcase)
lol

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #138
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: ...:
Posts: 30,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
I saw Radiohead in the in rainbows tour and even tho the band performed well, I wasn't very impressed. It was technically good, but I didn't feel like I they were challenging themselves as a live band.

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #139
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: https://twitter.com/fuzzyroes
Posts: 9,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
SP fans on Albini: an exercise in stupidity

Many uninformed takes in this thread, but this one takes the cake for dumbest post I've read in a long time:



lol
yeah i was gonna respond to that but ultimately opted out. in short: "polishing a turd" is pretty much the polar opposite of what Albini does

if anything he would simply "present the turd" in its best possible lighting

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #140
smashingjj
netphoria deep state
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: My dad is from the Balkans, so he used to wear speedos.
Posts: 33,640
Default

exactly. if you play shitty or your amps/instruments sound don't sound great, you're gonna hear exactly that.

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #141
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: ...:
Posts: 30,845
Default

What say you to that, NINSP?

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:48 PM   #142
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 3,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
I had the chance to talk to s few people after the gig and they did exactly the same "it sounded like the album, but something was missing". I stopped listening to Radiohead back then.

 
Forgotten Child is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #143
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: https://twitter.com/fuzzyroes
Posts: 9,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
What say you to that, NINSP?
i believe he's off re-evaluating the genius of BUSH

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #144
Woody
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Woody's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,598
Default

Hey.

Aside from Knights, Shiny Vol.1 is pretty good, guys. It just came on my playlist and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

If we can praise TFE then I’m not embarrassed to admit I’m hyped for Vol.2.

 
Woody is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:56 AM   #145
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: ...:
Posts: 30,845
Default


 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #146
eviltimeban
Ownz
 
eviltimeban's Avatar
 
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
I totally disagree. One thing that made me a fan was how the was able to understand the differences between live and studio performances. I saw Radiohead in the in rainbows tour and even tho the band performed well, I wasn't very impressed. It was technically good, but I didn't feel like I they were challenging themselves as a live band.

You hear Adore and then you see the band playing the same songs live with totally different arrangements and it blows you away. I know sometimes it doesn't work, but I kinda like that, it feels (or use to) like they were always on the edge.

How many alternative live versions of Rocket we've got? It even disarm, muzzle etc?
None of that disproves my point that the best SP work is on record and not on stage. They were never a great live band, even back in the day. Maybe in the Gish era but SD on record blows any live SD performances out of the window. It's a different league.

Same with Adore. You can't get the intimacy of that record across in a live setting. Especially when you have two drummers and keyboard players and the like.

 
eviltimeban is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #147
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 3,009
Default

I am not sure of that either. I love some live performances more than the studio versions, from Gish to now. In fact, a few live shows made me like songs I didn't like the studio version.

 
Forgotten Child is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #148
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: ...:
Posts: 30,845
Angry

You got something to say to that, eviltimeban?

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:15 PM   #149
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: https://twitter.com/fuzzyroes
Posts: 9,805
Default

i don't understand how anyone could think MCIS-era SP was "not a great live band"

or the subsequent two eras for that matter

SD-era I guess I can get finding the live sound too "jarring" in comparison to the record but even so I think it's great. The way the Gish songs were so super-charged and whatnot (well, aside from say Rhinoceros) was awesome as well

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:20 PM   #150
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: ...:
Posts: 30,845
Default

he's either trolling or untr00. either way he should be banned, which would be irony, given his "name".

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Star Wars Episode 7 MyOneAndOnly General Chat Message Board 1073 10-07-2016 11:54 AM
SNL'S TREASURE TROVE OF NUGGS VOLUME 3:TODAY IS THE GREATEST MACHINES OF GOD soniclovenoize Pumpkins Archive 59 02-06-2014 04:33 AM
Itunes Volume Leveling Help bja1288 General Chat Archive 3 09-12-2007 06:49 PM
the continual folly of bolly - roy thomas baker makes records loud at any volume wHATcOLOR Pumpkins Archive 35 08-18-2006 02:42 AM
DONNUTSS Cunt_Magenta General Chat Archive 9 08-17-2006 08:46 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 PM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2019