Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #91
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Why were people hyping up Towers of Rabble? Hasn't the Double Door recording been out for a while? Or was everyone hoping for a studio version.

The very first fill pisses me off, at 42 where he randomly hits a tom. Are we totally sure Mike Burns didn't rerecord this?
Yes, because as far as the rest of the song is concerned, the drumming is pretty damn gorgeous.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #92
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
M2 version is tons better. Better mixing, Jimmy drumming.
There's no doubt about it.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #93
Kahlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post

guess we'll have to keep trying to get mike garson to leak the actual actual actual demo. *sigh*
he doesn't have it...and for those of you moaning about it being brickwalled. Fucking shut up. It's free and you still drone on like a bunch of cunts.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #94
zbeast78
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
There's no doubt about it.

just cuz jimmy's drumming doesn't change the fact that this is a boring meh recording. i agree with the person who said earlier that the pumpkins simply never got this one right in the studio.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #95
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
he doesn't have it...and for those of you moaning about it being brickwalled. Fucking shut up. It's free and you still drone on like a bunch of cunts.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #96
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
no, I wouldn't change a thing.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #97
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

At least the Machina ii version feels like it's going someplace. Listening to the new one is like pushing a Volkswagon up a hill. The chorus drum fills contribute very much to this.

Too bad Rick Rubin didn't pitch "Beverly Hills" to SP before Weezer.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #98
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboy88 View Post
Perhaps judging the clipping off of a YouTube rip is a bit premature. I'm holding onto hope that the actual release is properly mastered and normalized.
That's what I was thinking. I'm sure it's a bit of both though.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #99
chucklescrotum
Banned

This version of LMGTWTY is complete shit.

Bring on more quality leaks ARMS OF SHEEP!

Old 08-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #100
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

The string part is really nice, I think the ending needed the strings to do more instead of the repeated title.

It's really growing on me though. Considering how much bitching and moaning I do on here, I'm happy to say I'm very pleased with this. I was expecting something Saturnine-esque with electronic noodling and a clunky beat.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #101
panda show
Ownz

instrumentally, the live version is far superior to any other version.. they were never really able to get it right in the studio.. but the live version, with 2 great sounding guitars, kenny aronoff, all those percussionists and a keyboardist, sounds perfect instrumentally.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #102
s0ss
Demi-God

Hold on a second- this sounds like a demo.

How can this be a final studio recording of a song?

Old 08-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #103
paranoid
Minion of Satan

This whole 'didn't quite get it right in the studio' thing.. Couldn't that be said about most of the songs on adore? I always saw that record as a collection of captured snap shots if those songs for the time, but they could have been completely different songs if recorded a couple years later. Or even a couple of months for that matter

Old 08-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #104
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Also, I think this recording is the closest example we might have as to how adore may have sounded if jimmy stayed in the band

Old 08-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #105
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Also, I think this recording is the closest example we might have as to how adore may have sounded if jimmy stayed in the band
except Jimmy could do a drum fill

Old 08-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #106
Syrial Carpens
Pledge

The MII version sounds lifeless.

This version sounds...not quite as lifeless, but almost.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #107
panda show
Ownz

Quote:
This whole 'didn't quite get it right in the studio' thing.. Couldn't that be said about most of the songs on adore? I always saw that record as a collection of captured snap shots if those songs for the time, but they could have been completely different songs if recorded a couple years later. Or even a couple of months for that matter
ah, I don't know.. it's really a tough thing to think about in the first place.. I kind of doubt that Jimmy's presence would have changed the sound of adore and the musical approach they used.. even during many MCIS-era interviews, they (and jimmy too) were saying how they like the idea of experimenting with beats/samples and electronic stuff and they see themselves going in that direction for the next album..

Old 08-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #108
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda show View Post
ah, I don't know.. it's really a tough thing to think about in the first place.. I kind of doubt that Jimmy's presence would have changed the sound of adore and the musical approach they used.. even during many MCIS-era interviews, they (and jimmy too) were saying how they like the idea of experimenting with beats/samples and electronic stuff and they see themselves going in that direction for the next album..
Right, but who knows what would have happened. I just remember listening to the live boots a lot that summer and dreaming of a version that had some of the arrangements they were doing during the shows. Adore felt like it was ongoing and still being written, even after release. The version of to Sheila they were playing in the early 2000 tour was pretty close to perfect, IMO. I love the version on adore, but I'd also love to hear it recorded that way. Same kind of thing could be said about a lot of the other songs on adore.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #109
workingdogv1
Pledge

Quote:
Ehhh sort of, I meant that, while arrangements would change, the songs on Adore sound like fully-fleshed-out compositions while LMGTWTY always felt like it was missing something essential that might have been worked out in the studio had it been given the full shake it deserved.

It's hard to explain, but I think the outro on this version as compared to the M2 version is the clearest indication. It seems like some key elements still needed to be refined and it might not have happened because this was never a marquee song on either album.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #110
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I was expecting something Saturnine-esque with electronic noodling and a clunky beat.
Definitely. It sounds like a Teargarden era LMGTWTY versus an Adore era LMGTWTY.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #111
Venom
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bye june View Post
I thought the Pisces bonus disc was the only thing fucked up so far.
Gish and SD were decently remastered with a little clipping here and there. The main two MCIS discs came out pretty decently as well but the bonus discs were fucked. I won't be surprised if the Adore remaster is decent but the bonus material is bricked to fuck.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #112
Ram27
dumb

Why is it coming out in mono and stereo? What's the point?

http://celebsnetworth.net/wp-content...-net-worth.jpg

Old 08-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #113
Venom
Ownz

Because the mono mix already exists so why not?

Old 08-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #114
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

So much disappoint and WTF is with the drums.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #115
redbull
Immortal

drums are off, everything else is excellent. this would work terrifically if they took the kit off and threw a timpani on it ala disarm.

i prefer the M2 version still

Old 08-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #116
redbull
Immortal

this is whats up, should be included on the reissues

Old 08-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #117
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
this is whats up, should be included on the reissues
Dat D'arcy.

I hope the live tracks on the reissue are high quality enough to actually hear the other two percussionists.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #118
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
100% agree. For everyone saying that the live version is better - wasn't that true for all the Adore songs? In that Beyond Mellon Collie VHS magikarp recently uploaded it becomes quite clear that BC was without a solid vision in the studio, for the most part.

After a cursory listen from a phone's speaker and then a couple more hours later through a decent set of headphones, I really like this version and it's a nice accent with all of the others. Don't have a problem with the drumming at all. It's not Jimmy but it clearly sounds like some electronic drums with someone playing live over top. Probably more so than any Adore track i can think of. I wish the galloping drums and the strings weren't quite so buried.

Was looking again over the Deluxe tracklisting and I'm extremely excited to hear more early demos and alt versions etc.

Anyone know offhand who was playing drums on this?

Old 08-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #119
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Dat D'arcy.

I hope the live tracks on the reissue are high quality enough to actually hear the other two percussionists.
You really are an idiot.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #120
slunken
Virgo

Guys like Ram27 are the reason brickwalled audio even exists.