he's right, they actually sound great. there's a lot you could do with those

Old 08-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #1262
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
You mean a mic wired to my laptop or?

It just doesn't feel right
No something like a zoom where you can either record directly from the speaker of your amp (built in microphones) or directly from the amps headphone jack or a mixer (direct input)

Old 08-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #1263
slunken
Virgo

Yea I mean you're basically not going to find/want to pay for a standalone tape recorder. I have a stereo tape deck unit hooked up to my mixer and if I didn't have a digital recorder I would still record everything to tape but I would just go through way too much tape (which is getting scarce/pricey).

Buy a digital recorder. Record all you want for free and then bounce down to tape. If you plan on sharing music it's going to be bounced to digital at some point or another.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #1264
slunken
Virgo

Zoom H4N is discontinued I believe but it was the best investment of audio equipment I ever bought. I use it for everything all the time.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #1265
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Yea I mean you're basically not going to find/want to pay for a standalone tape recorder. I have a stereo tape deck unit hooked up to my mixer and if I didn't have a digital recorder I would still record everything to tape but I would just go through way too much tape (which is getting scarce/pricey).

Buy a digital recorder. Record all you want for free and then bounce down to tape. If you plan on sharing music it's going to be bounced to digital at some point or another.
also couldn't fathom recording directly to tape without a mixer

Old 08-27-2016, 04:57 PM   #1266
slunken
Virgo

Zoom H2N is still available. Just buy this and be done with it. https://www.zoom-na.com/products/fie...handy-recorder

or look for a used/refurbished H4N

Old 08-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #1267
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i'm oddly aggravated that they'd stopped making the H4N, i was planning on getting one some day. that never seems to happen, but now i'm still annoyed they stopped making it. the new one looks bollocks.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #1268
slunken
Virgo

Lord only knows why they would discontinue their most popular model. Probably to sell other models.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:12 PM   #1269
slunken
Virgo

"everyone keeps buying the h4n and ignoring all the other models. i know! we'll pull it off the shelves!"

Old 08-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #1270
Elphenor
Braindead

Alright that looks legit

I want the recording to sound exactly the same as I hear it blaring from the amp in my bedroom you know what I mean

Because I create music through exp with the instrument I don't go in with this picture of what I want already, that would be more conducive to mixing and shaping post recording

Idk if I'm making sense

Old 08-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #1271
slunken
Virgo

Quote:

I want the recording to sound exactly the same as I hear it blaring from the amp in my bedroom you know what I mean
That's digital recording. Just play around with mic placement. I put mine up right next to the cone a little to the side but still touching the grill of the amp.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #1272
slunken
Virgo

If you find an H4n you can do cool things like if you eventually end up buying real microphones you can hook them up directly to the unit instead of using the built in mics (which are great - don't get me wrong). I don't think the H2n has the option (if I recall all the inputs are 1/8" - whereas h4n and other models are 1/4" and XLR)

I'm just saying if I had bought a model that didn't allow me to hook up my own microphones I would have bought another one by now. I bought the H4n shortly after it came out on a lark and I can't stress enough how amazing it is.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #1273
slunken
Virgo

Douglas Rushkoff would disagree with me though. Digital recordings are only a simulation, he would say, and not a physical chain reaction in time and space.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:35 AM   #1274
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
hey you guys love a guy with an acoustic guitar right?
this song is like an hour old. shitty sound cause i recorded it on my cell phone just now.
i have no idea if it's worthless or not. i'll need to revisit it in a few days or something to know. proceed with caution, i'm not a good singer. lyrics in description if anyone doesn't get enough sad vibez from my posts.

i'm on weed right now and this sounded great. I think I listened to Headspin before but that one is cool too. it has a great slowcore mark kozelek vibe

Old 08-29-2016, 01:35 AM   #1275
redbreegull

just kidding acoustic guitars fucking suck balls

booooooo

Old 08-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #1276
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

thanks rbg.

tbh i just realized both Headspin and Shadows are just really rough demos that probably don't really represent fully what i'm about. they're both much simpler than what i usually do, and are so raw and bare bones, with no additional parts or production flourishes or whatever. in their current form, i only really stand behind Overrun.

but i'm glad you liked it. it was probably because you were high.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #1277
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I'm also on weed and tried to click the player in the quoted posts a few times first. But yeah i really like it, I felt fully immersed which is how I know it's good. Nice voice too.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:30 PM   #1278
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

acoustic guitars are for assholes

hear me play electric

this kind of came out of my fingers today. jazzy reverb-y ambient mood thing. slunken if you're reading this, i kinda got a Jon Porras vibe from it while i was playing in this style.

tbh i really like this.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #1279
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Sweet tracks, teh b0llz

I can't fingerpick that well, especially when coordinating it with vocal lines (Shadows)

Old 09-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #1280
cork_soaker
full of longing

new skitch

Last edited by cork_soaker : 09-08-2016 at 12:58 AM.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:02 AM   #1281
cork_soaker
full of longing

i love it

Old 09-08-2016, 03:12 AM   #1282
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Didn't wanna post this because I have this weird thing about not letting people see works in progress, where I only want them to see the final product and not know what goes on behind the curtain, but it's not like I'll ever finish anything anyway so might as well post it.

It's really rough with random volume fluctuations and choppy verse/chorus transitions and the bass and lead guitar are probably both way too loud but this was just supposed to be a rough demo to block in the basic structure of the song so yeah that's my excuse.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:26 AM   #1283
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
new skitch

Ever scored a film before? Your stuff is really atmospheric and feels almost like soundtracks.

If not, maybe there are filmmakers in your area looking for music like this to create the desired mood in their films?

Old 09-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #1284
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
You think I could just record straight to cassette I think I might go that route

Like just a big tape recorder

Looking online right now

What I know for sure is that I never want anything to do with production software it's not for me
You will eventually have to transfer the tapes digitally anyways. Why bother?

Quote:
Alright that looks legit

Because I create music through exp with the instrument I don't go in with this picture of what I want already, that would be more conducive to mixing and shaping post recording

Idk if I'm making sense
Then you are better off investing the $$ to get a good mic and a mixer/digital interface.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #1285
Elphenor
Braindead

nah I don't want to do any mixing other than what I do on my amp

Old 09-08-2016, 01:13 PM   #1286
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Ever scored a film before? Your stuff is really atmospheric and feels almost like soundtracks.

If not, maybe there are filmmakers in your area looking for music like this to create the desired mood in their films?
I've played around with this a bit on my own, using stock video clips and assembling them against the music — as opposed to setting music to a preexisting narrative and visual sequence.

I would love to collaborate with someone—a filmmaker or visual artist of some sort—but admittedly haven't looked into seeing who's out there or interested. Not sure where to start. Any suggestions?

Old 09-08-2016, 01:35 PM   #1287
Disco King
Minion of Satan

There was a guy on the Oboard who went by blanket_skies who was enrolled in film school in New Zealand and would make short films. I remember him looking around for someone to score them sometimes. I think he collaborated with another poster there, kreatorkind (or something like that), to do the soundtrack to at least one of them.

I mean, I guess that doesn't help, seeing as blanket doesn't post here. Other than that, I dunno, though. Maybe there are Facebook groups for indie filmmakers in your area?

Old 09-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #1288
Cool As Ice Cream

kreatorkind? is he the guy who brings his guitar to billy's tea shop?

"i've opened for billy corgan."

Old 09-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #1289
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i think scoring for other people's work would do corky no justice.

he needs to do his own films for it to be right. or hook up with somebody very like-minded.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:53 AM   #1290
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
kreatorkind? is he the guy who brings his guitar to billy's tea shop?

"i've opened for billy corgan."
That was probably him, because that sounds familiar. I remember him being good at music, although it was music I didn't have a heck of a lot of interest in. But he was real chill and one of the posters who helped me a lot with gear suggestions back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i think scoring for other people's work would do corky no justice.

he needs to do his own films for it to be right. or hook up with somebody very like-minded.
Yeah, scoring other people's movies would certainly bring challenges, like having to work within the confines of what the film director's vision is and having to respond to their work. But it could also bring new inspirations.