Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: Where are you DeviousJ
Posts: 3,405
Exclamation Okay, so we're gonna talk about Stranger Things in here

Spoiler-friendly I gotta say, sorry Mals.

Here's some deep analysis: season 1 excellent, season 2 100% trash, season 3 pretty good again.

I don't remember season 1 having the broad humor this show quickly developed. I miss the more serious tone, like Erica is straight-up just a sassy sitcom character. On the other hand I like Erica, so I am conflicted.

What did you folks think and do you agree Hopper was a complete dick all season and that it's always been obvious Will is gay. Do you.

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
smashingjj
netphoria deep state
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: like an online community, but in real life
Posts: 33,252
Default

I'm watching it right now

I disagree with your opinions about the seasons. 1 was great yes, after that it felt like they were milking it and it still kind of does. I didn't feel that season 2 was 100% trash at all, just really not as good as the first one. this one is pretty much the same to me. Entertaining enough

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: Where are you DeviousJ
Posts: 3,405
Lightbulb

I think tonally 2 and 3 feel very similar, but for some reason 3 just works for me where 2 did not. It's got propulsion to it and I feel like it gets better as the season goes on. When I watched the first episode I thought "great, this shit again," but it picks up.

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
smashingjj
netphoria deep state
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: like an online community, but in real life
Posts: 33,252
Default

hm, I don't know. I'm at episode 6 at the moment. it's just entertaining mostly to me.

also that whole 80's aesthetic is really nicely done, but we're kind of used to it by now.

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #5
FoolofaTook
Immortal
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: Trump first sold Hawaii to the Japanese to now be right saying Barack Obama isn't born in the United States. -Crognan's Bluff
Posts: 29,411
Default

loved season one

quit season two on second episode


not sure about giving it another try








































fuck

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #6
Skradgee
Boardcaster
 
Skradgee's Avatar
 
Location: reporting live
Posts: 3,624
Default

/me binge watched and regrets it only because he wants more

The 80s nostalgia is like...the subtle hook. I think they can keep drawing from it.

That said, I hope they quit before the show hopefully doesn't get run into the upside down.

 
Skradgee is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #7
FoolofaTook
Immortal
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: Trump first sold Hawaii to the Japanese to now be right saying Barack Obama isn't born in the United States. -Crognan's Bluff
Posts: 29,411
Default

dark >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> stranger things

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
toase
Apocalyptic Poster
 
toase's Avatar
 
Location: AA meetings
Posts: 3,642
Default

S1: Very good
S2: Good
S3: Bad

 
toase is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #9
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: Where are you DeviousJ
Posts: 3,405
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
What did you folks think and do you agree Hopper was a complete dick all season and that it's always been obvious Will is gay. Do you.
On reflection, I realize I have never been the father of an out-of-control teen and thus may have a limited grasp of what was going through Hopper's head all season long, though I maintain that this stress manifesting as rabid jealousy toward Joyce was taking things too far

Will has always been gay tho

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
toase
Apocalyptic Poster
 
toase's Avatar
 
Location: AA meetings
Posts: 3,642
Default

of course he is gay, his role is to suffer and be ignored

 
toase is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #11
FoolofaTook
Immortal
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: Trump first sold Hawaii to the Japanese to now be right saying Barack Obama isn't born in the United States. -Crognan's Bluff
Posts: 29,411
Default



i would never ignore you toase, you are a cool dude! who else do i know that listens to white heaven? no one!!!

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #12
FoolofaTook
Immortal
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: Trump first sold Hawaii to the Japanese to now be right saying Barack Obama isn't born in the United States. -Crognan's Bluff
Posts: 29,411
Default

i think will is a weak actor tho. sometimes he can't keep a straight face.

eleven tho, kills it.

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #13
LaBelle
Socialphobic
 
LaBelle's Avatar
 
Location: Away
Posts: 10,228
Default

I loved this season, much better than season 2 (ugh)

Robin was a great addition and the whole Scoops Ahoy crew just clicked together beautifully.

 
LaBelle is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #14
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963
 
Elvis The Fat Years's Avatar
 
Posts: 31,423
Default

I liked season 2 up until Eleven went to Chicago. That episode was balls. It tried to recover after that but never really got there.

 
Elvis The Fat Years is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM   #15
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: Where are you DeviousJ
Posts: 3,405
Angry

Just wanna add I've never seen product placement so egregious as what they do in the second-to-last episode

They literally pause the story to talk for several minutes about how great a product is and hey, wouldn't you know it, that product went back on shelves thanks to a promotional tie-in with the show

Does everyone know Robin is Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke's daughter, because I did not, but it is screamingly obvious now

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM   #16
Rider
Minion of Satan
 
Rider's Avatar
 
Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler
Posts: 9,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Just wanna add I've never seen product placement so egregious as what they do in the second-to-last episode.
Really because they did the same exact thing an episode or two before that with the fucking Slurpee thing.

This season was terrible no real plot. just a bunch poorly strung together tropes and "hey you guys 'member shopping malls right?"

 
Rider is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM   #17
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead
 
teh b0lly!!1's Avatar
 
Location: PROWLING THE BADLANDS
Posts: 16,089
Default

sorry to be the voice of reason guys but Stranger Things was always fucking terrible from the get go

it's basically fuzzy's TMNT pasta fascination in televised form as tastelessly reimagined by the wrong kind of hipsters

 
teh b0lly!!1 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #18
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963
 
Elvis The Fat Years's Avatar
 
Posts: 31,423
Default




 
Elvis The Fat Years is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:32 AM   #19
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: Where are you DeviousJ
Posts: 3,405
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Really because they did the same exact thing an episode or two before that with the fucking Slurpee thing.
Okay, I looked it up, and the producers claim there was no actual product placement—i.e., a brand paying to be included on the show—anywhere. What I'm talking about, though, is a product that came back to store shelves after decades specifically because of a promotional tie-in that ended up with Lucas singing the product's praises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
tropes
I can never figure out if this or "canon" is the worst recent word to enter common usage when talking about stories.

Last edited by topleybird : Today at 12:03 PM. Reason: seemed mean

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #20
FranchisePunter
Amish Rake Fighter
 
FranchisePunter's Avatar
 
Posts: 14
Default

Season 3 was just a slightly weirder version of a network sitcom, mainly for 80s kids to get member berries. That said, I watched the whole thing because I am a rube and have no delusions about my taste.

 
FranchisePunter is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:25 PM   #21
cork_soaker
full of longing
 
cork_soaker's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
sorry to be the voice of reason guys but Stranger Things was always fucking terrible from the get go

it's basically fuzzy's TMNT pasta fascination in televised form as tastelessly reimagined by the wrong kind of hipsters
fukkin nailed it, teh

 
cork_soaker is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:27 PM   #22
FoolofaTook
Immortal
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: Trump first sold Hawaii to the Japanese to now be right saying Barack Obama isn't born in the United States. -Crognan's Bluff
Posts: 29,411
Default

me in a games of thrones thread

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:40 PM   #23
FoolofaTook
Immortal
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: Trump first sold Hawaii to the Japanese to now be right saying Barack Obama isn't born in the United States. -Crognan's Bluff
Posts: 29,411
Default

so nice of you guys to show up, btw. would you like some crackers with your milk?

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:58 PM   #24
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: Church of United Bald Lords, praying for your souls
Posts: 8,761
Default

very much looking forward to the day i can truly participate in this thread. currently on the final ep of season 2—fuck the nay-sayers!

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5X LP Siddartha release T&T Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 841 07-03-2019 08:29 AM
shit fuckers can type! sickbadthing General Chat Message Board 60 05-23-2019 11:18 AM
So when is Jimmy coming back? Elphenor Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 36 03-08-2018 11:35 PM
Age Of Innocence Big Truck05 Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 38 05-01-2017 12:25 PM
Brings me back to my original Rock Band days. T&T Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 9 01-31-2016 12:59 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 PM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2019