Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 08:27 AM   #1
smashingjj
Immortal
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: roboplegic wrong-cock
Posts: 25,941
Default listen to the new sun kil moon album

http://www.sunkilmoon.com/commonaslight/

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
smashingjj
Immortal
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: roboplegic wrong-cock
Posts: 25,941
Default

my expectations weren't very high. Maybe that is the reason i quite like it so far

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
Elphenor
Socialphobic
 
Elphenor's Avatar
 
Location: Swamp Dance Party
Posts: 12,170
Default

No.

 
Elphenor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
Elphenor
Socialphobic
 
Elphenor's Avatar
 
Location: Swamp Dance Party
Posts: 12,170
Default

OK maybe later

 
Elphenor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
redbreegull
Immortal
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: best looking resorts you'll never visit
Posts: 22,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
my expectations weren't very high. Maybe that is the reason i quite like it so far
is it actually any good? his last few releases have been quite a slog to get through

 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:43 AM   #6
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
 
wHATcOLOR's Avatar
 
Location: *whip* that's for stealing !! *whip* And that's for getting blood on my whip !!! || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!
Posts: 45,565
Default

is this a command?

 
wHATcOLOR is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:44 AM   #7
smashingjj
Immortal
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: roboplegic wrong-cock
Posts: 25,941
Default

Are you questioning my orders?

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #8
smashingjj
Immortal
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: roboplegic wrong-cock
Posts: 25,941
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
is it actually any good? his last few releases have been quite a slog to get through
Afraid not. I liked parts of universal themes but he really seems to have lost all his quality control this time. Almost very song is overlong, hardly memorable and downright boring. The whole thing is something like two hours too.

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #9
ohnoitsbonnie
pocosin ✩ princess
 
ohnoitsbonnie's Avatar
 
Location: russlin' trash can 🍧
Posts: 18,926
Default

Marco Kozaleki dropped the ball

 
ohnoitsbonnie is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:54 AM   #10
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
 
wHATcOLOR's Avatar
 
Location: *whip* that's for stealing !! *whip* And that's for getting blood on my whip !!! || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!
Posts: 45,565
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Are you questioning my orders?
Sir, no sir!

 
wHATcOLOR is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #11
redbreegull
Immortal
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: best looking resorts you'll never visit
Posts: 22,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Afraid not. I liked parts of universal themes but he really seems to have lost all his quality control this time. Almost very song is overlong, hardly memorable and downright boring. The whole thing is something like two hours too.
Since he started his own label, he has just been continuously ramping up his rate of releases. Now it seems he puts out at least 1 album a year plus a live LP or two and a disc of covers or a collaboration... I would love to be inundated with this amount of work from him, except his last five releases seem like as much work went into them combined as April.

 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #12
Elphenor
Socialphobic
 
Elphenor's Avatar
 
Location: Swamp Dance Party
Posts: 12,170
Default

My online friend with good tastes (who's 22 named Chris and 6'3 no joke) says this album was pretty good for Sun Kills Moon better than whatever they did last

 
Elphenor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #13
smashingjj
Immortal
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: roboplegic wrong-cock
Posts: 25,941
Default

it's just the latest few things that bother me. I even like parts of Universal Themes and the Jesu collaboration album. I saw them live together and it wasn't good though. The sound was really bad and the songs probably even worse.

I still love Benji and everything before that. I cherish my autographed Benji lp like the little fanboy i am <3

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #14
redbreegull
Immortal
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: best looking resorts you'll never visit
Posts: 22,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
it's just the latest few things that bother me. I even like parts of Universal Themes and the Jesu collaboration album. I saw them live together and it wasn't good though. The sound was really bad and the songs probably even worse.

I still love Benji and everything before that. I cherish my autographed Benji lp like the little fanboy i am <3
to me, there is a big dividing line between Admiral Fell and everything that has come out after. Every single album of originals up through Admiral Fell is solid through and through, but starting with Among the Leaves, he really changed and his songs began to seem like a lot less work went into them. I liked parts of Leaves, parts of Benji (a few songs are very very good), parts of Perils from the Sea, parts of Universal Themes. But overall his newer style really doesn't do it for me. It's hard for me to appreciate a really gifted singer purposely singing like he just woke up with a cold, and a really gifted lyricist penning prosaic errand lists as lyrics

 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:33 AM   #15
smashingjj
Immortal
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: roboplegic wrong-cock
Posts: 25,941
Default

i get that. that 'rambling' phase he seems to have fully embraced now started about there, on Leaves. I remember really not liking that album at first. It has slowly turned into one of my favourites though. I think Benji is perfect. There was a lot of that rambling (i'm just calling it that to refer to what he does now) but it really worked for me on that album. Lyrics were painfully personal and it was kind of a musical revelation to me.

Have you heard the Desertshore albums? this one is really really good. It kind of sounds exactly like a regular Sun Kil Moon album from that phase, but I think the guys from that band also played with SKM live.

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #16
redbreegull
Immortal
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: best looking resorts you'll never visit
Posts: 22,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
i get that. that 'rambling' phase he seems to have fully embraced now started about there, on Leaves. I remember really not liking that album at first. It has slowly turned into one of my favourites though. I think Benji is perfect. There was a lot of that rambling (i'm just calling it that to refer to what he does now) but it really worked for me on that album. Lyrics were painfully personal and it was kind of a musical revelation to me.

Have you heard the Desertshore albums? this one is really really good. It kind of sounds exactly like a regular Sun Kil Moon album from that phase, but I think the guys from that band also played with SKM live.
Yeah I like that one quite a lot. Sounds a bit like Red House Painters actually, I think at least one of the other musicians is from the RHP days.

at this point I'm just a bit tired of hearing about lying in bed with his cat watching wrestling and how annoying touring is and eating crab cakes with ben gibbard.

but even his guitar parts have undergone this minimalist transformation. Many of the songs off the last few albums are just classical guitar loops that go on for like 8 fuckin minutes

 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #17
smashingjj
Immortal
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: roboplegic wrong-cock
Posts: 25,941
Default

yep.

and even that part hasn't improved - which is a big understatement

that fake tinder picture scotty posted about SKM being a 'dad rap project' is painfully true

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Something I have noticed... rottenugly General Chat Message Board 38 04-17-2012 03:25 PM
So I ordered pizza last night Dead General Chat Archive 16 03-10-2007 12:13 AM
del Geek USA General Chat Archive 9 03-08-2007 05:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2014