Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #841
The Omega Concern
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Recently received my Fuzzhugger(fx) Sonic Shroom. A pretty cool fuzz. Self-oscillates, but is still really playable because the oscillations fade when there's a signal. The controls are kinda unorthodox, they are really interactive with each other instead of being independent, and they don't have quite the same functions as a typical fuzz pedal's knob.

Between that and all my other fuzzes, I think my fuzz craving is finally satiated. There is some chance that I may check out some Devi Ever pedals somewhere down the line, but they aren't "must-gets." I'm pretty stoked with the palette I've got already.

Fades when there's a signal? interesting, sort of like a dynamic delay that kicks in when you stop playing. I'd like to combine those two.

Don't know if this stuff would be redundant for you, or you may already know of JPTR fx, but they are also very interesting. If I didn't already have enough delay's, I'd be all over the dual one this guy makes. The Super Weirdo Fuzz may be down your alley?

Old 01-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #842
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Just picked up one of these!

Old 01-22-2017, 08:54 PM   #843
The Omega Concern
Minion of Satan

ohhhh man...i'm jealous, you're stoked.

friend of mine kinda talked me out of one because for recordings we have a Roland XV-88 at our disposal, so it's not really needed. But I still want a Mel-9 on the pedalboard regardless.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:35 AM   #844
he/she/it
Pledge

I've just bought myself this Digitech Valve FX guitar preamp.

I paid a little on the high side for it, along with a foot controller, but this is apparently a very good condition one, with, hopefully, the latest firmware, and an LCD screen upgrade that Digitech offered - which is a big plus, because with some of these, the original blue LCD becomes faded over time, and harder to read.

I'm going to make a 2nd, smaller rig with this, that I'm thinking I'll use for playing live (which I want to actually start doing).

As I think can be heard in this demo vid, this preamp is at the centre of some of Machina's heavy guitar sounds (eg. Imploding Voice).

The Valve FX was also a part of BC's Machina tour rig. There are a whopping 5 of them in this setup:

Aside from the LCD screen fading with age, another issue these preamps seem to have is specific to the European versions, and it again affects the LCD screen, though it is apparently caused by voltage routing, for the sake of adapting the USA model to European voltage level:

http://www2.digitech.com/soundcomm/g..._id=1022050967

Quote:
When the unit powers up - voltage runs through the front LCD display and onto the main CPU, hitting the eeprom along the way. This screws the memory after a while hence a factory reset would be the only way to get back to base with the unit. I asked Digitech (US) if they had a solution to this along time before talking to Arbiter - the US had not come across this problem - the main reason for this is because the power up design would not affect the US user since they only run on 110v. They just inserted a voltage switch when the unit was shipped to Europe - I don't know where you guys are based but this could also be your problem.

Anyway, a great guy at Arbiter replaced the front LCD blue boot display for another green display and it now works fine. Looks a little like a GSP 21 Legend from a distance but who cares!

As for the RPedit program - I have the last revision if you can't get hold of it. Let me know, I check these pages every couple of weeks.
BTW, while looking for a used unit to purchase, I also found this one that's going for cheap ($90 USD) on Craigslist, though its screen is reportedly largely faded - but the device is otherwise functional. If it's possible to source a replacement LCD, then it'd be a sweet deal for someone: https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/6001596016.html

Last edited by he/she/it : 02-16-2017 at 12:49 AM.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #845
The Omega Concern
Minion of Satan

that's a purdy lookin pre-amp. I'd like to have one of the Avalon mic-pre's but its a pretty steep price point.

Fun with pedals: