Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #4141
Disco King
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: "The worst poster on this board by far." -- The worst poster on this board by far

Just purchased the Rocksteady Arkham trilogy yesterday. I had already played and 100%ed the first one, and then purchased the second one, but never got a chance to play it before I ended up losing a bunch of my stuff, and I never got around to replacing that 360.

I ended up winning an Xbox One at a staff party a couple of years ago, but because Microsoft is shit for backward compatibility, until recently, it meant that I couldn't get back to playing muh Arkham games. When the latest one came out on the newest systems, I still didn't buy it because I'm weird and a completionist and I want to play all the games in order, even though there's no real point of insisting upon (I also didn't buy it because I never buy new releases because I don't like games enough to justify dropping eighty fucking dollars on one; I have no problem waiting until they are, like, $20 or something).

I just happened to be at the mall yesterday and saw that they were selling used copies of the first and second games remastered for the One, as well as the latest game, for pretty cheap, so I bought them. Origins wasn't remastered for the new system, but maybe I'll get around to buying another 360 by the time I get around to finishing Arkham City.

I also purchased that Telltale Batman game.

Game store employees can probably tell that I'm not really a gamer when I come in and only buy Batman stuff. I don't know enough about games to select them upon anything other than brand recognition.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #4142
Disco King
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: "The worst poster on this board by far." -- The worst poster on this board by far

I really loved Arkham Asylum when I played it, but the aesthetic design wasn't really my thing (bulky roid Batman, grungy text, etc). I dunno, I've always liked the more streamlined comic-book artists (Jack Kirby, Bruce Timm, Darwynn Cooke, Chris Samnee, Steve Rude, Michael Cho, Kevin Nowlan Mike Mignola, etc.), so it'd be cool to have another Batman game in that style.

I guess we already got that with stuff like Batman: Vengeance (underrated game, BTW), but, like, do that again but with modern graphics.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #4143
Elphenor
Socialphobic

Felt like the series never topped the 1st one

Old 03-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #4144
Disco King
Apocalyptic Poster

It's the only one I've played, so it's the only one I can really comment on.

A lot of people like the second one and it looks like it expands a lot on the first.

From what I've heard, Origins doesn't really expand a lot on the mechanics or game play of City, it's just kinda the same game with a different story (Although, is that always a bad thing? Sometimes if something is good, you just want more of it).

And I hear Knight has the opposite problem: putting a lot of emphasis on the new Batmobile aspect of the game play apparently took away from more than it added to the game.

I guess I'll be seeing if I feel the same way in the near future, Probably won't really start playing this stuff until the summer hits (which means that if it's all shit, I won't be able to return any of it).

Old 03-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #4145
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
And I hear Knight has the opposite problem: putting a lot of emphasis on the new Batmobile aspect of the game play apparently took away from more than it added to the game.
don't listen to the people who say that. the batmobile rocks

Old 03-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #4146
Disco King
Apocalyptic Poster

Also, what's with the whole

thing?

Old 03-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #4147
Disco King
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshfacedyouth View Post
don't listen to the people who say that. the batmobile rocks
I sure hope so. The past video games that let you use the Batmobile (Vengeance and Begins) were both a little limited, even if there were fun aspects to it. Making the use of it a lot less linear is probably something I'll find fun.

Speaking of Batman Begins, even though Arkham Asylum is the superior game, there are some things I miss about the fear mechanic in Begins. Like, instead scaring the shit out of mooks wasn't always about drawing from the same toolbox in every level, some levels would have unique tasks. Like, you have to go around sabotaging the supports of this structure and then make the whole thing topple and when everyone is freaking out, you can jump down and beat them up. Or you have to go around turning on these gas stoves and then use a spark to set the place on fire.

At the same time, Begins was too linear, in that you had to perform those sets of actions to progress in the level. Some combination of the fear tactics in both games would be really cool.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #4148
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Old 03-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #4149
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Pre-loading Mass Effect Andromeda today.

Unfortunately, early buzz on the game is mixed. Apparently planet scanning is more tedious than ever and the writing isn't up to Bioware's usual standards. Environments and combat are supposed to be solid though.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #4150
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post

Unfortunately, early buzz on the game is mixed. Apparently planet scanning is more tedious than ever and the writing isn't up to Bioware's usual standards. Environments and combat are supposed to be solid though.
Yeah people are shitting on the first ten hours. I really hope it's good, I adore the original trilogy. I even like the end of 3 that people hate.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #4151
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

If it's gonna be a 44GB pre-load with a forthcoming Day One patch, it'd better be at least passable.

They've been working on this game for five damn years, for crying out loud. You'd think with all that development time, it'd be damn near perfect...

Old 03-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #4152
FlamingGlobes
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I sure hope so. The past video games that let you use the Batmobile (Vengeance and Begins) were both a little limited, even if there were fun aspects to it. Making the use of it a lot less linear is probably something I'll find fun.

Speaking of Batman Begins, even though Arkham Asylum is the superior game, there are some things I miss about the fear mechanic in Begins. Like, instead scaring the shit out of mooks wasn't always about drawing from the same toolbox in every level, some levels would have unique tasks. Like, you have to go around sabotaging the supports of this structure and then make the whole thing topple and when everyone is freaking out, you can jump down and beat them up. Or you have to go around turning on these gas stoves and then use a spark to set the place on fire.

At the same time, Begins was too linear, in that you had to perform those sets of actions to progress in the level. Some combination of the fear tactics in both games would be really cool.
Wooow. Haven't thought about the Begins game in a looong time. I had a lot of fun with that one, though I'm not so sure it would hold up. I remember really enjoying the bits with the Batmobile.

Fun fact: I was playing a lot of Enter The Matrix around the same time. Games sure have changed, huh? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 03-18-2017, 09:40 PM   #4153
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
If it's gonna be a 44GB pre-load with a forthcoming Day One patch, it'd better be at least passable.

They've been working on this game for five damn years, for crying out loud. You'd think with all that development time, it'd be damn near perfect...

Old 03-18-2017, 09:43 PM   #4154
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:

mass effect sucks & bioware has low standards

Old 03-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #4155
Trotskilicious
Banned

idk how people played dragon age origins and thought "this is good"

if i would have played that game before mass effect 3 i would have been "yah no this game was destined to suck a bunch"

the good stuff about baldur's gate was done by people who don't work for the company anymore, same with me 1 & 2...idk why this company has so much brand loyalty its like being attached to miramax or something

Old 03-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #4156
Trotskilicious
Banned

DAO was the first time I ever encountered a role playing game where the entire cast was almost entirely unlikable, cliched or boring and this was only saved by Shale but thats a DLC character

Old 03-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #4157
Trotskilicious
Banned

although i will say that one of bioware's signatures is the whiny love interest weakboy/psychotherapy subject which is a terrific legacy to have

anomen, kaiden alenko, alistair. just a stellar series of characters.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:20 AM   #4158
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Never liked DAO. Played it for a few hours and it just didn't jam with me. Give me Skyrim (bugs and all) and The Witcher 3 over DAO.

Unfortunately, Trots is right about the vast majority of the personnel that made Bioware great are gone now.

P.S. That animation was downright embarrassing. So does everyone in ME:A walk around like they're doing the robot then? God, this game is gonna be brutal.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:25 AM   #4159
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

It seems like Bioware is doubling-down on everything wrong with the first Mass Effect game with this new game. Like, the fuck??

Old 03-19-2017, 01:44 AM   #4160
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

I got a new gaming rig so I can run Pac-Man at thirty frames

Old 03-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #4161
Run To Me
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty sp View Post
I got a new gaming rig so I can run Pac-Man at thirty frames
Lol big spender here

Old 03-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #4162
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I'll get there someday

Old 03-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #4163
reprise85
Submortal

Location: Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.

trots i took your mod suggestions for FO:NV and am enjoying them. i had to turn the blur one down a bit though, it was ultra-blurry

Old 03-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #4164
Trotskilicious
Banned

blur? like i guess the dynavision?

Old 03-19-2017, 09:25 PM   #4165
reprise85
Submortal

Location: Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.

yes, makes the background a bit out of focus compared to what you're looking at

i also took the wacky world perk or whatever when i started a new game playing as an unarmed evil person

Old 03-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #4166
Trotskilicious
Banned

instead of trash effect andromeda i decided to go indie on my PC and picked up FTL

which is ultimately the same game only more interesting & without the CW dawson's creek teenage vampire diaries level soap opera writing

this is why pc is bettar btw, i can run 16 bit indie games

Old 03-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #4167
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post

this is why pc is bettar btw, i can run 16 bit indie games

Old 03-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #4168
Trotskilicious
Banned

yeah that was a few years ago

Old 03-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #4169
Run To Me
Apocalyptic Poster

Playing chrono trig on the 3ds when I can't sleep, forgot how ungodly amazing the music is in this bitch

Tappin for battles is way more fun too

Old 03-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #4170
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

friend got a nintendo switch today and wouldn't stop shoving it in everyone's fucking face

for some reason he walked about 10 miles to a target to buy it at 7 am this morning while it was raining. yesterday morning he tried a gamestop

it was cool to see it in action but i couldn't stop wondering why he would do that and i'm worried for the next few weeks he's gonna be like "look guys, i brought the party!" every time my friends and i hang with him. i know for sure the rest of us aren't purchasing one, at least not any time soon