Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2014, 12:23 AM   #31
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry's Ray View Post
"He and I were the top two scribes, and everybody else was a distant third"

See billy, this is why people hate you...
Because of his ego or because he used the word "scribes"?

Old 12-06-2014, 12:26 AM   #32
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

SP was really only huge around 96/97. GnR were huge between 87-93, but U2 was still fucking massive between 91-94. The Zooropa tour was highly successful and the epitome of excess. Hell, they even video called the fucking president while in concert. Everywhere I went it seemed like there was fucking "U2" everything.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:29 AM   #33
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

He could have easily have said it in a way that didn't shit on others.
He always has this type of moment with every new album, though.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #34
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Didn't Nirvana take GnR's rock spotlight in 91? Axel even wanted Nirvana to tour with them and Kurt was like, "you sound like a 12 year old girl choking on a brillo pad."

Old 12-06-2014, 12:45 AM   #35
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Nirvana started getting recognition but Use Your Illusion was fucking massive for GnR.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:57 AM   #36
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
NIN before Kurt

It's not much to do with Kurt and grunge. He was into harsher industrial himself (even if yes he'd done commercial synthpop with earlier bands). TVT really wanted him to make commercial records. That's why he broke away from them for Broken because they wouldn't have released it, they wanted him to make synthpop and he wanted to do harder industrial.

Also their appearance on Dance Party USA was a joke. They demanded to be get on it as a joke and actually got on.

Also its not like Kurt is sole responsible for the change that happened in music. The success yes but that kind of music had already been happening in the underground for years.

The only thing Nirvana helped is that it was now acceptable to labels to release more aggressive sounding records cause they sold.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:00 AM   #37
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

1991 movie:T2 GnR song: you could be mine.

Brings back memories!!

Old 12-06-2014, 01:15 AM   #38
slunken
Virgo

i was up above it

Old 12-06-2014, 01:17 AM   #39
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

When is james going to do this to bill? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3t-kFt10i2w

Old 12-06-2014, 01:20 AM   #40
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belteshazzar View Post
yeah, looks like Billy was right when he called Kurt an asshole, post-mortem. at least Billy can admit Axl has one of the greatest and most unique voices in rock history.

I found the publicization of Kurt's diaries in Barnes & Noble the other day. Was reading some of Kurts stuff and I couldn't help but thinking, man, this kid is one immature dick who has the luxury of living in a sheltered enough world to form such self-righteous opinions and be obsessed with things that, in the grand scheme, really matter so very little. Head waaaay up his own ass. Just my first impressions. Didn't take too long for me to put it back on the shelf in disgust.
Kurt hated axl because axl was a misogynist & homophobe. Oh now I see why you hate kurt.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:28 AM   #41
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
Kurt hated axl because axl was a misogynist & homophobe. Oh now I see why you hate kurt.
That's what I remember that story being as well. They represented everything that Kurt hated about the machismo rockers and their sexist/misogynist/homophobic lyrics that dominated the airwaves (along with the other hair metal bands of the 80s, but he also disliked Led Zeppelin for similar reasons).

Old 12-06-2014, 01:33 AM   #42
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
yeah, looks like Billy was right when he called Kurt an asshole, post-mortem. at least Billy can admit Axl has one of the greatest and most unique voices in rock history.

I found the publicization of Kurt's diaries in Barnes & Noble the other day. Was reading some of Kurts stuff and I couldn't help but thinking, man, this kid is one immature dick who has the luxury of living in a sheltered enough world to form such self-righteous opinions and be obsessed with things that, in the grand scheme, really matter so very little. Head waaaay up his own ass. Just my first impressions. Didn't take too long for me to put it back on the shelf in disgust.
Dad?

Old 12-06-2014, 01:35 AM   #43
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

I really respect kurts directness about that stuff.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:42 AM   #44
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I really respect kurts directness about that stuff.
Same. One of the great things about that era is that women in rock music flourished and it really didn't depend on the way they looked, where they were from, or who they were screwing.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:42 AM   #45
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I always get a kick out of what an obnoxious Anglophile Corgan is. "Scribes."

Old 12-06-2014, 01:51 AM   #46
ilikeplanets
Braindead

fuck u2

Old 12-06-2014, 02:01 AM   #47
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
just to be devil's advocate and challenge the presumption here...who was janis joplin screwing to get famous? when did she care about how she looked?
First, I didn't mean screw as in screwing to the top, several women in those bands were bisexual or homosexual. Although, I guess you can argue that these days that who women entertainers are screwing is a big tabloid topic.

Second, Janis Joplin was quite an exception and she was openly insulted for her looks by male musicians. It was really her powerful voice and the atmosphere of the hippie sixties that made someone like her possible.

Third, I wasn't comparing different generations of women in rock to other generations. But I'll bite, in the 80s (and 70s) many of the women in mainstream music were pop singers, the ones in rock bands were still largely "underground" alternative, especially so in America. Kurt and his ilk just kind of opened the door for some of them into the mainstream.

And lastly, Belteshazzar, were you actually around to remember the early 90s?

Old 12-06-2014, 02:02 AM   #48
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Axl was a misogynist and homophobe directly to kurt and courtney. That is how the shit began.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:07 AM   #49
BloodstainedJar
Amish Rake Fighter

I love how Corgan calls out Vedder for making something about himself. Oh, the irony.

Interesting though that he reveres Kurt as the most talented artist of the era. I mean, I have great respect for Cobain; the guy's music was awesome and clearly influential. But I never really saw him as being particularly talented, at least not when you compare him to other artists who were so far ahead of him from a technical standpoint. As a guitarist, he had nothing on Corgan, Kim Thayil, Mike McCready, Jerry Cantrell, Dean DeLeo, etc. As a vocalist and songwriter, I'd say he was on par with Layne Staley and Cantrell, Scott Weiland, Eddie Vedder. I'd say Chris Cornell blows them all away in terms of pure vocals, and Corgan was the best from a pure songwriting standpoint.

Yet there was something about Cobain that stood out. I'm not even sure what it was exactly. Something about him resonated with everyone at the time, more so than any of the other ones. I suppose you could chalk that up to talent but it's almost like he had some additional gift that the others couldn't quite tap into. I think the Pumpkins came the closest though, and perhaps took over for him for a time with the release of Mellon Collie. In fact, I think that had Corgan not fired Jimmy and abandoned the Pumpkins rock sound for a while, it's possible that SP could have truly filled the void left by Nirvana. But well, that didn't happen. Not that I'm complaining; Adore was an amazing album. But I think if SP had released another great rock album after Mellon Collie, they might have retained their overwhelming popularity for the long haul.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:14 AM   #50
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Kurt's success is what motivated billy to write amazing songs. Billy was competing back in the day to be as big as kurt. Unfortunately, billy has to say this shit in a jackass way.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:21 AM   #51
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Lol, classic belt.

I think there is an actual video of what happened or audio.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:23 AM   #52
BloodstainedJar
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Kurt's success is what motivated billy to write amazing songs. Billy was competing back in the day to be as big as kurt. Unfortunately, billy has to say this shit in a jackass way.
Billy seems to have to say everything in a jackass way. On one hand, it's a bit refreshing that he doesn't just make canned, generic statements that are carefully crafted to not offend or upset anyone. On the other hand, every time he opens his mouth, it's like he's daring us to hate him or something. I usually end up wishing he would just make music and never do interviews.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:54 AM   #53
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Belt needs to make me a frosty

Ha ha!

Old 12-06-2014, 02:58 AM   #54
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Wasn't Metallica the biggest band at the time? they were killin it.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:58 AM   #55
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah. It was the first Nickleodeon Kids Choice Awards.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:44 AM   #56
null123
Minion of Satan

top 2 scribes you aint gotta remind me
top 2 scribes you gotta rewind me
im high up on the line you can get behind me
but my head so big and bald you can't sit behind me

Old 12-06-2014, 04:00 AM   #57
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
GNR is definitely an influence on some of the Gish guitar work. Funny, SP opened for GNR in like 92' and got booed.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:23 AM   #58
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
top 2 scribes you aint gotta remind me
top 2 scribes you gotta rewind me
im high up on the line you can get behind me
but my head so big and bald you can't sit behind me

http://photofunia.com/output/6/1/M/k...w7il-AGdxw.jpg

Old 12-06-2014, 04:31 AM   #59
null123
Minion of Satan

that's fucking scary

Old 12-06-2014, 05:41 AM   #60