Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

Default Comments from concerned parents regarding Wii Beer Pong

7:17 PM Sheri wrote ...

When I was not quite 16, my mom marched me down to the closest restaurant and told me I was getting a job - give me a taste of "real world" hard work. I learned everything I need to know about alcohol and every illegal drug I've ever heard of in that restaurant. And had to drive home a very drunk 16 year old coworker one night. I think my parents would have preferred me playing a video game. Kids get exposed to stuff so they can get used to making up their own minds, useful as an adult!
7:09 PM Jay wrote ...

I've been playing Grand Theft Auto since it's inception and I haven't had the urge to steal one car.
7:02 PM Jabba wrote ...

You know, I can understand games like Halo, and sports games like Madden because they're escapist entertainment for those of us who don't go to battle (in outer space) or play in the NFL. Are we really in need of a game that simulates two beer mugs and a ping pong ball? Are we really getting that lazy!
7:02 PM Nate wrote ...

So will the kiddies be able to go to Wiihab? Will they slip into Wiilapse? Bottom line, its a stupid idea for a game. I think the real tragedy is that people are peddling mediocre garbage to your children, and you are paying high dollar for it.
6:53 PM bigjay wrote ...

I am a parent of 2 boys. If i think a video game will teach them something I don't want them to do or learn then I do something crazy!!!! I don't buy the game. Parents need to stop worrying about everyone else policing their kids and start doing it themselves.
6:45 PM Cant wait to buy it! wrote ...

I'm 30, this game looks like fun for my crowd, parents, keep your kids away from my games. There are plenty of other titles out there that are more suitable for your kids, and would be mind numbingly lame for me to play. BESIDES.. wasn't the WHOLE IDEA BEHIND THE Wii TO ENGAGE MORE THAN JUST THE KIDS?! Get a life unreasonable parents. There's a good chance the commercial with the half naked supermodel with the beer in her hand has been more detrimental to your kids than any game would be.
6:28 PM - wrote ...

accountability for yourself.... ppl will sue/complain about anything...this is sad
6:17 PM Anonymous wrote ...

I can't believe this article has gotten this many comments. Get over it. It is a video game made for entertainment purposes. People are reading into it to far.
6:13 PM Justin M. wrote ...

It's really simple. It's a game. If parents don't like it, then they have a choice to be good parents and not allow their children to play it. The responsibility lies with the parents of those who are underage, while those of us who are of legal drinking age are within our rights to do as we please with the game. Stop acting so "offended" and get with the program America! Grow up and take responsibility for your actions and decisions...especially all you whinning parents.
6:11 PM Eric wrote ...

Give me a break. Your kid's going to drink anyway, and a video game throwing a ping-pong ball in a cup is not going to make that any worse. Oh, and motheroftwo - "frat" is a mature word? You can't be serious.
6:07 PM Heather wrote ...

There is already a "beer pong" Wii game out there. It's part of the game called "Game Party" which includes other "bar" games like darts, shuffle board, basketball & trivia.
6:07 PM Jusedawg wrote ...

Just be cause something has the work beer in it, does not make it beer or bad for a 13 year old to play. Teach your kids right instead of trying to put the parenting and the blame on everyone else. You, the parent is to blame and no one else.
5:44 PM Justin wrote ...

and on a further note to my first comment: the news report is inaccurate, the game will not "be hitting store shelves", its a WiiWare game, which means it has to be downloaded straight to the console via the online store.
5:41 PM Nanch wrote ...

I just wish the article would have gotten comments from more sources. I would have loved to hear the perspective of a college kid or a teenager. Very poor journalism to quote from only one source.
5:21 PM Stephen wrote ...

The only people that are gonna buy this game are people who dont have enough room to play beer pong. Or kids who want people to think they're cool and drink. Otherwise I can take any video game and make it into a drinking game.
5:13 PM Militaryman77 wrote ...

Even though everyone has said this I feel a need to also. Parents, do your job and this shouldn't be an issue. Our country is falling apart, not because of the government, or the economy, but because we are afraid to offend anyone. People who cry that their rights are being violated and get away with frivolus lawsuits are the reason for this countries demise. When I was young if your kids were at my house and not acting repectful of my parents, my father would disipline them as they were his
5:13 PM Ian wrote ...

This game looks awesome! I'm definitely buying it. A message to the producers: Don't change the name, change the rating! I want to play beer pong! Although, beirut would be ok, pong toss is just lame
4:58 PM lindsay wrote ...

In more civilized societies, people start drinking when they're in their teens (12-13) or younger. Our nanny state has made us think alcohol is a bad thing. Well, you know what, it's only bad if you make it bad. Alcohol in moderation never hurt anyone. Someone needs to grow up and it's not the kids.
4:58 PM Anonymous wrote ...

People who are underage are not always tempted to drink because of what they hear and see about drinking (like this game), but because of what they don't know/want to find out. They are curious, just like you were at that age. If underage drinking wasn't such a 'taboo' topic then I don't think it would be as much of a problem. Kids need to be taught personal responsibility rather than sheltering them from the topic. Besides, many will try drinking no matter what you tell them.
4:53 PM Anonymous wrote ...

Is flip cup on there too?
4:52 PM Adam wrote ...

This mom and the attention she is causing are going to cause her children to drink, not the game itself. I'm getting this as soon as it hits shelves.
4:47 PM Pooter wrote ...

Excuse me for speaking out of turn! But some of my favorite people play beer pong, or "beirut" and some of them are very good "people." It may be that this game decreases drinking for those who play beirut, or "beer pong," because they want to work on their shot skills. Also, because in "beirut," or beer pong, you only have to drink when your opponent makes a cup, if people can practice on the Wii, then they will have to drink less.
4:46 PM Tired of lazy parents... wrote ...

Any decent parent that involves themselves in the life of their kids won't have a problem because of a game, regardless of the content of the game(PERIOD)
4:41 PM Matt wrote ...

When I got to college I was dangerously underequipped to play beer pong at a college level. If they had started lessons in 2nd grade maybe I would have had a better college experience. We start math in first grade, why not beer pong (with apple juice).
4:37 PM Missouri wrote ...

I agree parents need to stand up and be parents. When did it become the governments place to raise our children? If we don't want them to play the games then don't buy them. If we don't want them to watch the TV shows then dont let them watch them. Parents need to start taking responsibility for their parenting skills or lack of and start being held accountable, instead of using the old scapegoats, it the video games fault, etc, etc, etc.
4:32 PM nikki wrote ...

This will help kids stay sober because the better they are at beer pong, the less they'll be drinking as a game requirement!
4:29 PM Mark P wrote ...

Man, how lazy do you have to be to play a video game of beer pong. I can hardly wait for the video game of yourself playing a video game.
4:25 PM Seven wrote ...

I'm planning to buy that game for my child. The one I conceived while drinking underage at a frat pong party. Seems only fitting.
4:18 PM Ben wrote ...

I think the game should be for 21 if it is called Beer Pong. Also, I think KSFY.com should be for 21 for giving instructions on how to play the game
4:17 PM Frattastic wrote ...

Boom City! Me and my bros will dominate this game. Drinkin rules yo
4:07 PM Annoyed wrote ...

"We don't need to teach kids to drink, you know, get ready for drinking games. They'll start drinking earlier maybe." Maybe? You mean, you're not sure? There's no scientific proof? This shouldn't even be an article; it's a sensationalist non-issue. Where's the real news?
4:06 PM bay area wrote ...

if parents don't like the game then don't let your kids buy it. Is sheltering them from the things in life they ARE going to come across going to help them to make the right decisions later? look at the games 12 years ago, no one had news reports on them and guess what kids turned out fine.... parents need to stop nit picking stupid things and start with discipline, manners, and common sense- things that MATTER!!!
4:06 PM Tom wrote ...

These rating systems don't mean anything anyway. They are just arbitrary ratings given to the games by a group of people. People need to quit trying to get other people to parent their children with these rating systems and start parenting their children themselves. It shouldn't be some 16 year old kid at Bestbuy that is obligated to watch out for your children. You should be a parent yourself and spend more time with them.
3:56 PM MOTHER OF 5 wrote ...

I know, I know... if you don't like it DON"T BUY IT for YOUR KIDS. !!! common sence people!
3:55 PM Technomama wrote ...

I do not agree with sensor ship. A dependable and appropriate rating system could help parents who are working and spending time with their family and just do not have time to test drive to research every game/movie their kids ask for. A "drinking" related game should not be advertised as approved for ages 13 and up. I am disappointed in Nintendo to hear that "13 and up" was even considered.
3:53 PM Dann wrote ...

I see no problem with the game. Not for nothing, but anything can be turned into a drinking game. Wathcing Cheers when I was in College was a major drinking game. "Norm!" Movies become drinking game. Darts is a Drinking game in some atmospheres. If one is concerned about exposure to the concept of drinking to one's children - perhaps they should educate them rather than just hiding what it is and making it taboo (and thus desired).
3:50 PM Wong wrote ...

This article should be properly marked as advertisement "promoting" a mediocre video game.
3:50 PM Cody wrote ...

Why would you tell people to contact Nintendo? Nintendo has nothing to do with this game, the company who made the game is the one you should contact, not Nintendo. What is with people today wanting to blame the problems in society on everyone else? The main reason teenagers end up drinking is because of peer pressure, and they can't seem to think for themselves. I do not drink, smoke, or do drugs and you know why...because I was raised to know what's right and wrong and to think for myself.
3:48 PM MMmmBeer wrote ...

So, the ESRB made a mistake. End of story. Next item?
3:43 PM jordan wrote ...

Ok, good idea, but who really wants to play a drinking game on a video game? The point of drinking games is to have fun with your friends and socialize...and heaven forbid you might get a little tipsy (parents, we all know you have, so don't give us the parenting talk). As far as the rating for 13 and up, if you don't want your kid playing a stupid video game, be a responsible parent and don't allow them to play it! - Its that simple. Censorship is so pointless - ITS CALLED PARENTING!!!!
3:43 PM Chadryan44 wrote ...

If you think that it will send a bad message to your children....DON'T BUY IT FOR THEM!
3:43 PM Karen wrote ...

Parenting is definitely important, but it's wrong to say it’s the only thing that matters. I’m a communications major at college, and all the statistics indicate that that the way the media (this includes video games) portray certain things (especially violence, sexuality, and, yes, drug/alcohol use)correlates with real-life behavior and attitudes. More than you probably consciously realize. It’s not the only thing, and good parenting is certainly most important. But to completely negat
3:39 PM ogdensr wrote ...

Why don't you blame the ESRB (video game ratings group)? It's not the game manufacturer's fault or Nintendo's. They should just rate it mature. Oh yeah, and don't let your 13-year-old by the game. Once again, parents want to put responsibility on companies, not themselves.
3:38 PM Cody wrote ...

I feel that some of this reporting is misleading. 1) The game can't be bought in stores, only online 2) The name had already been changed prior to this article. I can understand that some parent's might be concerned, but the companies have already acted to correct the issue. By burying the up to date information in the bottom of the article just to get a rise out of people is irresponsible. The game looks awful anyways
3:38 PM SchmidtUltra wrote ...

I think this game doesn't promote negative acts nearly as much as games like Man Hunt (where the objective is to brutally murder people with malice) or Grad Theft Auto which is almost always brought up as the most controversial game today. Sadly for Nintendo, this game will most likely be a flop. Most people that are interested in beer pong will end up playing ACTUAL beer pong. This isn't like Wii Sports where the player would need a bowling alley or tennis court. Just a case of beer. Boring.
3:33 PM dumb parenting wrote ...

if parents like Carrie Haugan don't like the game because they believe that it encourages drinking the answer is very simple: don't let their kids get it!
3:24 PM Some Guy wrote ...

I understand why people are so upset, after all, just as violent video games have lead to an increase in incidence of violent crime in the US... oh wait, it hasn't? Violent crime rates have been declining since the early '90s? Never mind. http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/viort.htm
3:12 PM Skewed wrote ...

So, lets blame a video game and forget about where the real problem comes from. OH NO!!!! It couldn't be a parenting problem could it.
3:12 PM Ping Pong wrote ...

I've been playing Wii beer pong for months!! It's already out as "Ping Cup" on Wii Party Games. I'm still an upstanding citizen as well.
3:00 PM Mark wrote ...

The US is one of only a handful of countries where 21 is drinking age, seriously, in Germany its 16 to buy beer or wine, and last I checked, they're doing just fine.
2:57 PM ButchCantz wrote ...

My kids Lunch and Zoe play this game all day long. They love it. They are 10 and 8. I don't think i am a bad parent for letting them play. If they go to college in the future, I want them to be good at this
2:54 PM Mike wrote ...

Who the heck would buy a game that simulates a drinking game but which lacks the best part?
2:53 PM Annoyed wrote ...

Here's an idea for a game: "Pull your head out". A game for control freaks who think it's society's fault their kids are useless.
2:51 PM Mick wrote ...

The reporter did their job of reporting this and their editor found it newsworthy. Good work KSFY. In viewing the responses, the issue is worthy of debate. I respect both sides of the argument and in my own conclusion believe this issue should not end up being regulated by the government.
2:50 PM Bud wrote ...

If we got rid of ALL video games, kids would drink more
2:50 PM Walter wrote ...

Do games like Unreal and Halo teach kids to become murderers at an earlier age? Of course not. Lighten up people, it's just a game, and honestly, it looks like a pretty lame video game anyway, doesn't it?
2:47 PM Dieter wrote ...

If you don't approval of the game, then don't buy it. Teens are going to drink and play drinking games with their buddies one way or another. What diffrence does it make. Instead of parents blaming companies for their kids mistakes and actions, they should rather look at their parenting skills.
2:44 PM FratD00d wrote ...

motheroftwo, I agree. "Frat" is a mature word. Everything associated with frats is morally repugnant.
2:44 PM Nathan Sokalski wrote ...

If I understand correctly, all alcoholic content has been removed from the game, so it's basically just throwing a ping-pong ball into a cup, right? Kids have been doing that since ping-pong itself existed, not to mention they sell toys for babies that involve throwing a ball into a cup! I don't think many parents would say "Honey, please don't throw that ping-pong ball in the cup", so why are they objecting to doing the same thing in a video game?
2:44 PM BigMike wrote ...

I find this whole issue ridiculous. I think that parents should be parents and not buy these products if they don't like them, I see nothing wrong with tossing a ball into a cup. I don't drink, never have, never will. People needs to get their heads out of there you-know-whats and focus on the big picture and not these minor things. Its all about choice, you can choose to buy or not to buy. If you don't like it don't buy it, don't try to force your opinion down other peoples throats.
2:41 PM Kyle wrote ...

people are so worried about offending others, or its wrong to do this or that with your kids. we spend so much time protecting them from the evils of the world instead of teaching them how to deal with it appropriatly and we wonder why kids are killing each other, dropping out of school and getting pregnant and higher rates than ever before. people should stop using video games and TV as babysitters and maybe kids would turn out better.
2:35 PM Anonymous wrote ...

I have to admit..... what is the fun in this game????
2:34 PM cscott22 wrote ...

people who protest this have too much time on their hands. it would be much easier for them to just monitor what games that kids buy. responsibility centers itself on the micro level in the household where the parents are meant to have the greatest influence.
2:34 PM Shane wrote ...

The average age of the video game player is over 30. Control your children instead of other peoples access to entertainment.
2:32 PM Tim wrote ...

In a lot of ways I disagree with the 13 (T) rating. It should reflect drinking ages in states. For those that say it does not promote drinking... When I was a kid, I collected bottle caps. One day I found a rare cap in my friend's fridge (still on a beer bottle). I snuck the beer just for the cap, but then drank some of it out of curiosity. I was about 11, not a delinquent, just curious. If there is a beer oriented game, and beer in the fridge, some kids will drink beer playing this game.
2:24 PM drunk right now wrote ...

YEAH! score one for concerned parents like ME! now my 13 year old child will stop drinking all my beer. instead he can go out and have unprotected sex and smoke marijuana like i did in the good old days before the evil video games were invented and corrupted all our kids. i mean we all know underage drinking was never an issue until video games came out and exposed our kids to alcohol. now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna pound this last beer before i get back on the forklift at work!
2:24 PM matt wrote ...

wow! finally beer pong with out the mess of playing beer pong, and potentially drinking 1,000,000 germs from the ball rolling into the corner of the room that no one cleans!! but the mess of people who lose at beer pong is diff. story... Let the tournaments begin!!
2:23 PM RC wrote ...

I think this game is great. I think I might just go buy a WII to offset the rising costs of spilled beer. Maybe everyone needs a reality check since video games are like $50 and I don't know of any 13 year olds with that type of disposable income. Wait they must be getting backed by the Bank of Mom and Dad, taken to the store by Mom's taxi service to buy the game and play it on a system funded by the Bank of Mom and Dad. Hmmmm
2:22 PM Doug wrote ...

This looks like one of those games that would have been off of store shelves a month after its release due to poor sales. By running this story and making a big deal over the game, it may actually last a couple months.
2:21 PM Al wrote ...

Oh stop it. If kids want to drink, do you REALLY think that a video game about beer pong is going to drive them to drink more than their own willingness to do so? Give me a break. People always have to find something to complain about.
2:20 PM CHRIS wrote ...

18 YEARS OR OLDER? I THOUGH THE DRINKING AGE WAS 21. IT SHOULD BE RATED 21 AND OVER THEN AND ONLY SOLD IN LIQUOR STORES....LOL!
2:20 PM What? wrote ...

I had single mother growing up. My mother never told me NOT to drink, nor did she tell me NOT to do drugs; she simply hated them and forbid them in the home. "You can do as you like when you're older." Well, guess what? I'm 22, never had alcohol, drugs or even smoked a cigarette/cigar. And I played all sorts of violent games... earned myself a B.S. degree. So, to all the posters saying it's the parents responsibility: good for you! You're right on there. Parents: Set. An. Example.
2:15 PM tvisnaw wrote ...

"They'll start drinking earlier maybe"....so she is an expert because she is a parent? If she is worried about her kids drinking at an earlier age then maybe she should take some parenting classes that will teach her how to control her kids better. I don't know how any of us adults survived our childhoods with all the smoking that was going on in movies and beer advertisements everywhere along with how violent all of our cartoons were. IT IS JUST A VIDEO GAME
2:13 PM Thomas wrote ...

I think it's about time parents started being parents and stopped trying to blame their failures on others.
2:09 PM CBS wrote ...

Carrie Haugan said, "Well, they know it's a drinking game. It'll encourage drinking." If they know it is a drinking game then talk to your kids about drinking and the difference between right and wrong. Stop blaming video game for parents laziness. If they know it is a drinking game obliviously they learned it somewhere else first.
2:08 PM Landon wrote ...

The game "Tapper" released in 1983 didn't cause me to become a raging booze hound, but if you disagree with it, become part of your children's lives. Play these games with them, talk to them about what they are seeing. Don't expect someone to raise your children for you. I figure a kid in his teens has probably witnessed drinking on television by this time.
2:03 PM Raid wrote ...

Do not sensor. Deal with your children. Don't get into the "burn books" mode. Make decisions in your own family's life, not someone elses.
1:56 PM John wrote ...

Saying this promotes drinking is like saying Call of Duty promotes shooting people with assault rifles. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
1:55 PM miles wrote ...

This game looks really fun!
1:54 PM Tony Lopez wrote ...

Every body asks whats wrong with the video game companies... I say whats wrong with the world when parents expect every one else to watch their kids. I say parents if your children are in trouble and are future criminals the only one to blame is yourselfs. i say this as a parent myself and welcome rebuttle.
1:54 PM Coop wrote ...

I think it looks kinda fun
1:53 PM parenting skills wrote ...

the only way a kid can PLAY this game is if the PARENT allows it. So if you don't want your kid playing it, don't let 'em. Simple as that. You over-sensitive control-freaks need to worry about what's going on in YOUR OWN house, not mine. If I wanna teach my kid beer-pong, I will. If you don't want your kids to play it, throw it away. Sheesh. Simple parenting skills is all it takes.
1:52 PM Ryan wrote ...

This game of peer pong has taken 35 lives? How many lives has illegal street racing taken? Or how about gun violence? It seems that every game is based on a dangerous activity, otherwise we would just do the real thing instead. Does playing Mario make you want to eat mushrooms and jump off of high cliffs? Cmon people, this is quite a minor thing to cause a stir about.
1:49 PM Rob wrote ...

Not everyone has huge dorm rooms to setup beirut tables in. Some of us are crammed in city dorms. I love this quote: "They'll start drinking earlier maybe." Yes because GTA has caused people to kill at an earlier age and Mario has taught us how to drive around on a go-kart and hurl turtle shells at people.
1:49 PM MIKE wrote ...

its strange parents monitor kids games so much,like someone said dont like, dont buy it.we worry about a game, but then during the football game Dad says to son/daughter, go get Daddy a beer from the Frig, what do you think promotes it more..A game or the fact Daddy is encouraging it??
1:44 PM motheroftwo wrote ...

Does anyone who thinks this game could be played by a 13 year old have children of their own? Even the NAME of the game has the word "beer" in it. Plus the word "frat," which is also a more mature word. My children are not allowed to watch prime time TV commercials because of their content. I will not buy or condone this game, but if the company insists on selling it, it should have a rating of M for mature. IMO, alcohol and tobacco content is for mature audiences only.
1:44 PM Koz wrote ...

If you don't want your kid to play it, don't let them. I'm so tired of the parents in this country expecting other people to sensor content and essentially raise their children for them. Stop relying on others to parent your child, and do it yourself!
1:43 PM Chris wrote ...

If this game is causing such a big problem it only proves one thing...the long lost art of parenting is gone in this country! If you do not want your childern to play this game do not buy it for them or let them but it themselves.
1:42 PM jim wrote ...

Wow people, grow a pair and stop blaming video games for your children's delinquency
1:41 PM FC wrote ...

As SHM writes, now this game involves merely tossing a ping-pong ball in a cup of water. But seriously, to everyone up in arms over the orignial title: children playing games involving alcohol are not the problem. Lousy parents are the problem.
1:37 PM SG wrote ...

It isn't the game manufacturers job to police what your children do or play - that is YOUR job as a parent. Don't buy the game if you don't like it.
1:36 PM RY wrote ...

BEER PONG!!!!!!!
1:36 PM Forar wrote ...

A Wii game leading to drinking? Are you kidding?
1:32 PM Drea wrote ...

"Drinking is bad for you,m'kay?" As they swig a bottle of beer. Kids don't drink because of a videogame. As long as you teach and monitor (I know that is difficult for some people, but bear with me)your child, there should be no problem. I know you can tell them all you want not to drink, but this where the MONITORING and WATCHING the child comes in. Know where your child is going, have a way to get a hold of them, give them a time to be home. If they don't follow the rules, PUNISH them.
1:30 PM Bob Bajinski wrote ...

If you don't want your kid to play it, then don't let them buy it, or rent it. The truth is that if your kid wants to drink they will and it has nothing to do with a cheesey video game. All this is, is an advertisement for the game. The lady complaining probably works for the software company.
1:28 PM Steve wrote ...

Where does a 13yo get money to buy the game? I thought we got rid of child labor. That's right we did... so these teens don;t make money, they must either steal it or get it from their parents... Hmmm here is a novel idea, Parents be shoudl be what they are called "Parents". Do your job, say No, for once.
1:28 PM Bran wrote ...

Actually the thing that amazes me most, considering all alcoholic content has been dropped from this game, is that it was ever made in the first place... Tossing a ball in a cup rates an entire game??? It's barely mini-game status. Who is going to spend $30-$50 on this junk???
1:28 PM GH wrote ...

Shouldn't the story really just be about the Wii promoting drinking. To single out one game is a little absurd. It is the human motivation behind the actions that promote them. Why doesn't the media retain any integrity and focus on the source of the blame. Intent is 90% of the law, is it not. Hold individuals accountable for actions taken, and their influence passed on to others. Video game companies don't raise responsible adults, involved parents/guardians do.
1:27 PM Ben wrote ...

If you don't think your kid should play this game, don't buy it for them. Odds are if they can afford it themselves then they have a part-time job and are well aware of the world outside Mommy's house and know that drinking games are. Otherwise the games they play are subject to the approval of the purchasing parent. If you're so afraid that your kids will get the wrong message from a VIDEO GAME, you should reevaluate your argument and consider that you may not be a good parent.
1:24 PM pl wrote ...

so parents are worried about games that promote drinking, but not games that feature realistic depictions of killing people. Seems right to me.
1:22 PM Anonymous wrote ...

Maybe you people should learn drinking is not such a horrible thing played out to be by society...teach your kids to respect it instead of telling them it's horrible
1:21 PM Ana wrote ...

This game is already available - it is ******* in party games (also has basketball, shuffelboarad etc.) all they are doing is rebranding it so it's all by itself. I've been playing this game for at least a couple of months now and love it. Of course, I am in my late 20s. If parents don't like it, don't let your kids buy it. I have a child and wouldn't let her play. Parents shoudl step up and have more control over their kids actions, such as what they buy and what games they are playing!
1:18 PM Jesse wrote ...

Would you rather your kids play this video game at the house, or play the real thing at someone else's?
1:17 PM Franky wrote ...

This article is incorrect. This game will NOT be available in stores across the country. It is only available using the Wii's downloadable service. It is classified as a "Wii-ware Game"... therefore kids should not be able to get their hands on the game as any sensible parent will have to moderate what their child purchases as purchases require a credit card. If there are children that play this game then the parents are entirely at fault. Thank you.
1:15 PM BKS wrote ...

I think kids are going to drink no matter if there is a game out there that so called "promotes" drinking. Lets find something else to talk about versus the small things...like a video game.
1:14 PM r.u.serious? wrote ...

The already-in-existence "Wii Game Party" made up of several mini-games, includes one called "Ping Cup", which is the same as beer pong. It's rated "E" for everyone, btw. You might just as easily say that the 'throw the ball in the cup' games at state fairs and amusement parks will lead to kids playing drinking games. I don't see an issue here.
1:13 PM Jen wrote ...

Seriously? Wii Game Party has essentially the SAME game on it. It's called Ping Cup. Rename it, rerate it, whatever. Why anyone would buy their 13 year old a game called "frat party games" anyway is beyond me. Will teenagers drink beer with or without this game. Um, yeah. Deal with that and stop placing blame where it doesn't belong. Talk to your children about drinking in moderation and what to do if they have had too much to drink.
1:08 PM Chris wrote ...

I can't wait to get this game and crack open a cold one, or ten! I'm 42.
1:07 PM Matt wrote ...

People must have become really lazy... back when I was a Theta Xi I would stay up all night practicing while listening to Weezy f baby
1:04 PM Jeff wrote ...

Much ado about nothing, if you ask me. Is anyone really looking to play a beer pong video game? Are kids really going to want to play a game where you throw a ball into a cup? If it weren't for stories like this, nobody would have even heard of the stupid game and it would have disappeared from store shelves within a month.
1:01 PM Mzilikazi wrote ...

The same parents that complain about this will buy Grand Theft Auto for their kids. Try being a parent, and stop shifting the blame for your own failures.
1:00 PM John wrote ...

as always, its up to the consumers, "To buy, or Not to buy?" settle for Grand theft auto instead.
12:59 PM Corey wrote ...

One, if the parent doesn't like the game they don't have to buy it. I realize there are valid concerns involved, but those have been addressed by independent parties and found negligible. We can't let a vocal minority in this country speak for the majority. Two, I also agree that there is a difference between the game and real life, just like there is a difference between all games, movies, television shows, and real life. If you don't want your kid exposed, lock him in a box all his life.
12:59 PM Rob wrote ...

Ratings aside, its a parents responsibility to monitor their kids. Why should everyone else have to adjust their lives because a parent doesn't feel like being a parent.
12:58 PM Oh Noes wrote ...

Yes, let's shelter our children even more. That way they're super ill-prepared for freedom when they hit 18. *rolls eyes*
12:55 PM SK wrote ...

"beer pong" is already out for the Wii system. It is part of a game called "Game Party" and the pong game is called "ping cup."
12:52 PM George wrote ...

If you are involved in a child's life, and you have concerns for this game, then don't buy it. It's not that hard people, just do your job as a parent.
12:50 PM John Smith wrote ...

What a cool game. It's funny laugh. Yeah people make bad choices and drink to much? Does that mean we should put everyone in padded rooms so the don't hurt themselves? Stop whining, let people make there own chocies.
12:47 PM Albert wrote ...

No video game is going to tell me when to drink
12:44 PM Donna wrote ...

As has been stated - don't like it - don't buy it. If the kids are buying their own games, monitor what they purchase. Do they ever see you have a recreational drink at a social gathering? Better put an end to that - it's going to make Jr. an alcoholic! I have two teens (both honor roll students) - if this is the worst thing they play - GOOD! Stop trying to be a 'big brother' to everyone and watch what goes on at your home - and I'll watch what goes on at mine.
12:43 PM the last normal parent wrote ...

18 or older? Last I checked you have to be 21 to drink legally! Parents are ridiculous. Take some responsibility for yourself and talk to your kids, or just don't buy them the game.
12:42 PM #1 Binge Drinker wrote ...

Hey Gene, those are some good statistics! GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON!
12:40 PM WS wrote ...

I love how people make such a big deal out of nothing. If people would put half the energy into IMPORTANT issues, maybe our world would be a better place. If you don't want your child to play this game, the DO NOT buy it. You have a choice, people!
12:40 PM Jeoff wrote ...

My sister works at an EB (Gamestop) store. The onus really is on the parents. I see a lot of parents who don't seem to care what their kids buy. I hear my sister and her subordinates tell parents that the game is rated and goes on to describe what the game's about. GTA IV for example. I've heard the script a million times over. It's got a mature rating. It's got violence, blood, simulated uses of alcohol, prostitution, etc etc. But they buy it anyway for their 15yr old kid.
12:38 PM CapnZulu wrote ...

If parents want to discourage kids from drinking early, they can start at home. Alcoholism rates indicate that lots of kids are spending plenty of time learning from their loaded parents. People who still think video games are some scourge of our society still don't seem to get it.
12:36 PM Chelle wrote ...

If I didn't know how to play beer pong, this article taught me. And the age a child tries alcohol has EVERYTHING to do with parenting, and NOTHING to do with video games. I used to play Carmen Sandiego as a kid, but I never traveled the world looking for crooks. Hey Sandholm, write a piece on a real problem, like the starving children who never play video games.
12:34 PM Rick wrote ...

People need to learn how to parent their own children. If you don't like the game, grow up, control your children, and DON'T BUY IT FOR YOUR HOUSEHOLD! It is not the designers' fault that people don't know how to be parents.
12:33 PM Crystal wrote ...

It's just a game. You think 13 year olds haven't heard about beer pong before? Seriously, this actually will probably help kids learn to drink responsibly because parents can use the game to open up the subject and talk to kids about limits. My parents never told me anything about drinking and boy was I in for a surprise.
12:31 PM Mark wrote ...

I think beer commercials promote drinking, not "games".
12:26 PM Junior wrote ...

i'd like to thank parents who got the name changed. now this game is rated E for everyone. i'm only 12, so now i can buy the game and learn to drink with my friends!!! i would never have seen this if it wasn't for you great parents. i'll dedicate my first beer to you. keep protesting things when you get bored!
12:26 PM Special K wrote ...

I think its the parents respondibility to educate their children. Binge drinking isn't because TV, its because there is a lack of educational awareness and attention to alcohol, its either evil or incredibly awesome. Sit down with your kids and talk to them about it. If you don't think it is a good idea...duh don't buy it. The power of the consumer is a great thing you know.
12:23 PM josh wrote ...

so if this game promotes drinking, then games such as Halo is going to cause our kids to kill right? if your concerned be a parent and tell your kids no and why. Also remember your in America home of the free becouse of the brave and every one has a right to form their own oppinion for them or their families.
12:23 PM Gaming News wrote ...

Great job of staying up to date, Drew Sandholm. The game has already had its name changed, and ESRB rating dropped. Congrats on giving us such informational out of date news!
12:15 PM JonL wrote ...

This game's title and content has already been changed to not reflect the alcoholic nature of this game. Keep up.
12:12 PM Justin wrote ...

I say if you don't like it don;t let your kids buy it! It is that simple. Some people are unbelievable.
12:10 PM Haha wrote ...

I don't see the appeal of this game. Any college student is going to prefer the real thing over a video game anyways.
10:01 AM Anon. Beer Drinker wrote ...

Wow, how LAZY are college students now? just get a wood table, some plastic cups, ping pong balls, and beer... minus the table, the game costs more than the supplies and is more fun in person..
6:47 AM Randofu wrote ...

On the one hand, I agree that this is crossing a line. On the other hand, if people can still put beer commercials on TV for any kid to watch, then there's no reason that anyone should make a fuss about this. Make a fuss about that instead.
6:05 AM Jen wrote ...

I say if you don't like it don't buy it.
1:43 AM Katie wrote ...

I agree with Kaalub! I don't see anything wrong with kids playing this game. Parents just need to relax a little. I don't think this is going to cause kids to start drinking at a younger age. Most of them aren't going to even know that the game they are playing is a drinking game. I think it's pretty dumb when we are worried about what games kids play and not the bigger more important issues we have in this world.
12:22 AM Zoe wrote ...

Virtual "beer pong" isn't any worse than a TV show or movie that features alcohol. How will this encourage drinking? "Oh, I'm going to drink now because I played this beer pong game and that's what people do when they play beer pong, right?" This is a silly thing to be concerned about when there are kids out there playing Grand Theft Auto, etc. The people in the game are clearly college age. If the game were about 13-year-olds stealing liquor and getting drunk, I'd understand.
11:31 PM E.M. wrote ...

Thank you for your program on the Wii Game called Beer Pong. You have done a real service to our society by helping us to become aware of this. Thank you, thank you. E.M.
11:25 PM Gene wrote ...

Does the death of a college student from Romona State after playing Beer Pong have no effect in people's thinking? This promotes binge drinking & has taken 35 lives in 2005. See Argus Leader, 7-8-2008 at bottom of front page.
10:36 PM SHM wrote ...

This game has already been re-named and edited. According to gaming news site IGN, it's been re-named as "Pong Toss" and all references to alcohol have been removed. In turn, the ESRB has dropped the rating to an "E" for Everyone. Verification can be found at the official website of the game's developer at http://www.jvgames.com/g_bp.htm
10:12 PM Kevin wrote ...

Maybe parents should do their job and parent. Do buy the game makes more sense then complain about game makers and there rating systems.
10:11 PM Kaalub wrote ...

If the parent does not like the content of the video game they do not have to purchase it for their child. Parents buy their children brutal shooting games that promote violence and killing sprees, why is that so much better than a game that involves throwing balls into cups?
10:10 PM TJB wrote ...

Games are meant for recreational fun, not all 13 year-olds go looking for zombies or aliens to shoot now do they? sure the games name may be a little inappropriate, but the rating was given by a seperate entity from the game creator. People need to relax and quit fussing over MINOR things - parents have the choice not to buy and/or monitor the games their kids play afterall.
10:06 PM Katey wrote ...

I Think This Game Should be rated 18 years or older!!

Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
hnibos
Braindead

not reading all those comments but i bet theyre all stupid.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post
not reading all those comments but i bet theyre all stupid.
1:36 PM RY wrote ...

BEER PONG!!!!!!!

Old 07-09-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
hnibos
Braindead

ok except for one.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
Mablak
Minion of Satan

Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!

PONG TOSSARU #1 CUP TOSS MATCHOFF!

WII BEER SOLD SEPARATELY

Old 07-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
redbull
Immortal

does anyone have that listing of all the songs by the smiths in order from best to worst

Old 07-09-2008, 11:55 PM   #7
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

This reminds me, I need a new controller.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:55 PM   #8
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Can't you edit out just the most stupid comments?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:39 AM   #9
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty View Post
Can't you edit out just the most stupid comments?
2:20 PM CHRIS wrote ...

18 YEARS OR OLDER? I THOUGH THE DRINKING AGE WAS 21. IT SHOULD BE RATED 21 AND OVER THEN AND ONLY SOLD IN LIQUOR STORES....LOL!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
alexthestampede
Banned

i cant even read 4+ consecutive sentences anymore if you want to know what video games will damage it's your attention span and discipline

i am a bit concerned gta4 is causing my siblings to curse more, that game is packed with cursing and vulgarity