Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #91
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

It was a good show. Not sure if it was necessary to tell the story as a part of the Watchmen universe, but there's been plenty of worse shit done under the name, like the videogame and the godawful Comedian comic

And that's how you contribute properly to a discussion on whether or not further expansions to a piece of important comic history are necessary without resorting to snide drive-by quips which contribute nothing save to underline one's own curmudgeonly nature

Old 01-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #92
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Great soundtrack too

Old 01-05-2020, 06:59 PM   #93
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
It was a good show. Not sure if it was necessary to tell the story as a part of the Watchmen universe, but there's been plenty of worse shit done under the name, like the videogame and the godawful Comedian comic

And that's how you contribute properly to a discussion on whether or not further expansions to a piece of important comic history are necessary without resorting to snide drive-by quips which contribute nothing save to underline one's own curmudgeonly nature
Lol it could only be told as part of the watchmen universe

Old 01-05-2020, 07:11 PM   #94
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Lol it could only be told as part of the watchmen universe
What I mean is that not much about it seemed very integral to the greater concept of Watchmen as a whole which was more about deconstructing superhero tropes.

Like I kind of wish that there could have been more focus placed on the American Hero Story aspect of things, served to act as an examination of how much a part of current pop culture superhero movies and TV shows are. By and large I feel like you could have told most of this same story using Superman or Lex Luthor, etc.

Don't get me wrong, it was great, and where I think it really succeeds and follows the spirit of the original is that it uses the current backdrop of US racial tensions in a way that was kind of analogous to the original book's cold war setting. Great new characters too. Just saying, could have been even better still.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:08 PM   #95
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

MIND = BLOWN

Old 01-09-2020, 09:53 PM   #96
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
What I mean is that not much about it seemed very integral to the greater concept of Watchmen as a whole which was more about deconstructing superhero tropes.

Like I kind of wish that there could have been more focus placed on the American Hero Story aspect of things, served to act as an examination of how much a part of current pop culture superhero movies and TV shows are. By and large I feel like you could have told most of this same story using Superman or Lex Luthor, etc.

Don't get me wrong, it was great, and where I think it really succeeds and follows the spirit of the original is that it uses the current backdrop of US racial tensions in a way that was kind of analogous to the original book's cold war setting. Great new characters too. Just saying, could have been even better still.
I felt like using Watchman, which was also a story about disillusionment with American Imperialism, to now tell a story about racism is pretty true to the intent of the source material, yeah

Old 01-10-2020, 08:35 PM   #97
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I felt like using Watchman, which was also a story about disillusionment with American Imperialism, to now tell a story about racism is pretty true to the intent of the source material, yeah