Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #91
Bread Regal
Banned

i am actually quite pleased with tommy lee's drumming here. he's laying down a good groove that doesn't sound quantized and compressed. it's like you can hear the air in the room surrounding the drums.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #92
Bread Regal
Banned

best thing since adore? i wouldn't go that far but this is definitely one of the better songs of his career.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #93
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

Pretty decent track, which is the best we can expect at this point.

Lyrics are cocktail napkin bad, singing is too restrained. Bills voice is best when angsty.

Guitar is nice. Reminds me of Doomsday Clock in that it could use some breathing space.

I still say the best SP2 vocals were the chorus of FOL.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #94
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Mike Byrne wins this round, boring boring boring.

Bill you are soooo old! Sing that.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #95
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
best thing since adore? i wouldn't go that far but this is definitely one of the better songs of his career.
What in the actual fuck?

The leaked demo of Raindrops & Sunshowers is better than this. Ditto Arms of Sheep.

And those are demos.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #96
Bread Regal
Banned

let's just be thankful he's enunciating his consonants.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #97
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
What in the actual fuck?

The leaked demo of Raindrops & Sunshowers is better than this. Ditto Arms of Sheep.

And those are demos.
those are not counterexamples to my statement.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #98
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsoncrusoe View Post
seems like a re-hashed idea from 15 years ago.
Funny you should say that...

Old 11-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #99
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Sounds like a riff that could have come out of Pastichio Medley.
I actually don't mind this track. Being Beige is abysmal though.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #100
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Sounds like a riff that could have come out of Pastichio Medley.
oh, you mean like the viper?

Old 11-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #101
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

if i was him i would totally dive into pastachio medley and finally flesh out some of those riffs. no reason for them to go to waste.

i like it overall.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #102
Thatchy Corker
Pledge

I don't know about it being one of his best songs since the 90s, but it's a huge step up from Being Beige - at least the guitar tone is huge and the vocals aren't in your face and quadruple-tracked. I'd be OK with the rest of the album sounding close to this.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #103
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wounded View Post
if i was him i would totally dive into pastachio medley and finally flesh out some of those riffs. no reason for them to go to waste.
That's fine, but I never want to hear him prattle on about how he's better than everyone else because he, unlike his peers, refuses to repeat himself.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #104
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I still say the best SP2 vocals were the chorus of FOL.
I've come to the conclusion that there's no way FOL was a SP2 recording. His vocals and the guitar mixing were way too out of place with everything else he's done post-2000.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #105
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy did say FOL was written earlier, but earlier in the Zeitgeist era (circa 2005 or 2006), which wasn't released until 2009.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #106
Bobbyrain
Amish Rake Fighter

This board confuses me. I know people have different taste and opinions of his music. But if nothing has satisfied you since 2000 maybe there is time to check some other band. Of course Billy will check this board and get confused. I don't think siamese dream would have sounded the way it does if there would have been a messagebord around at that time telling him whats shit and whats not. Obviously he does care what we think. I have been a fan since 95 and this is the first time in a couple of years that I think its sounds promising. The riff in One and all is great, rather listen to that than say for example Zero. Can some of you actually enjoy a song of any band without checking the dynamic range, if the snare is to loud? Must be boring

Old 11-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #107
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

This song is legit. Not in an apologetic "well this isn't completely offensive" sort of way, I mean it's actually good. I wasn't a Zeitgeist or Teargarden apologist and didn't care for Oceania. This is a good song. And I suspect it's because he's looking seriously at the shit he wrote during the MCIS era. Although GLOW clearly stemmed from Zoom and that was dogshit too so who knows. It doesn't reach any amazing heights, but it's easily as good as anything from Machina. Easily.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #108
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
let's just be thankful he's enunciating his consonants.
This. Like omg finally

Old 11-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #109
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyrain View Post
This board confuses me. I know people have different taste and opinions of his music. But if nothing has satisfied you since 2000 maybe there is time to check some other band. Of course Billy will check this board and get confused. I don't think siamese dream would have sounded the way it does if there would have been a messagebord around at that time telling him whats shit and whats not. Obviously he does care what we think. I have been a fan since 95 and this is the first time in a couple of years that I think its sounds promising. The riff in One and all is great, rather listen to that than say for example Zero. Can some of you actually enjoy a song of any band without checking the dynamic range, if the snare is to loud? Must be boring
Well, there's your problem, you have no fucking idea of what you're talking about. Try working on your reading comprehension skills. People have given many reasons why they like or don't like the song. And if Billy writes songs on the basis of what is said on netphoria (which I highly doubt) then that's his problem.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #110
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Can some of you actually enjoy a song of any band without checking the dynamic range, if the snare is to loud? Must be boring
i'm not checking shit i just thought it sounded bad, "mastering-wise"

like, glaringly so

how could someone not notice that

Old 11-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #111
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:

What he said. So many whiny pricks pissing and moaning about how they don't like ANYTHING bc does.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #112
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

I can name a lot of songs bill has done since 2000 that are well written. Before it use to be just the styling or production that had issues. Now he is just being lazy with lyrics. Hope DFN will be better, i like burnt orange black.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #113
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
I can name a lot of songs bill has done since 2000 that are well written.
That can't be true. Anyone who doesn't like the MTAE songs aren't fans of Billy's music and are stuck in the past. So, unless the next words you type out are "l love One and All" then I don't want to see it.

Last edited by Araneae : 11-05-2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: I got the name of the fucking song wrong

Old 11-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #114
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 11-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #115
T&T
Socialphobic

FUCK YOU BILLY CORGAN AND YOUR SHITTY SONGS.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #116
dodoz
Demi-God

I prefer fans like us who are critical but still have hope in what Billy's doing (maybe less and less, fair enough), who will always have an ear on what he can come up with, and talk about it with arguments, than the love fest I can read here and there (youtube, facebook) from fans who seem to like ANYTHING Billy puts out and think he can do no wrong.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #117
kingchris
Amish Rake Fighter

I like it...not sure what some of the haters want. This is exactly where I hope the rest of Elegy goes.

As for the haters why are they on a Smashing Pumpkings forum if they haven't liked anything since 2000? As for the song talking to them, maybe they are getting too old?

Old 11-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #118
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
This song is legit. Not in an apologetic "well this isn't completely offensive" sort of way, I mean it's actually good. I wasn't a Zeitgeist or Teargarden apologist and didn't care for Oceania. This is a good song. And I suspect it's because he's looking seriously at the shit he wrote during the MCIS era. Although GLOW clearly stemmed from Zoom and that was dogshit too so who knows. It doesn't reach any amazing heights, but it's easily as good as anything from Machina. Easily.
Hit the nail right on the head.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #119
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchris View Post
As for the haters why are they on a Smashing Pumpkings forum if they haven't liked anything since 2000? As for the song talking to them, maybe they are getting too old?
did you even read this thread. There is no "hate" for this track, it's not offensive enough to hate it.
People who don't like the song are in the clear minority in here.

Is being critical or simply not getting anything out of it (because maybe just maybe people can be interested in his output while listening to a ton of other music) equivalent to being too old?
And where did you get "not digging One and All The Viper" = "not liking anything since 2000."

If you find critical comments offensive I suggest you hop off and join a facebook praise group.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #120
s0ss
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
That can't be true. Anyone who doesn't like the MTAE songs aren't fans of Billy's music and are stuck in the past. So, unless the next words you type out are "l love One and All" then I don't want to see it.
Quit living in the pass guys.