Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #61
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

It kind of reminds me of a foo fighters song. The guitar tone sounds nice but the song never goes anywhere, it plods along as someone wrote. The lyrics are godawful (why is a 50 year old singing about how young he is?), and the minute his vocals kicked in it just killed it for me.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #62
s0ss
Demi-God

I'm just really happy he lost the circus piano.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #63
dodoz
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
it's mastered like a peanut butter & jelly sandwich that was sat on for 5 minutes
So true, like everything these days. "Could we BRICKWALL IT JUST A LITTLE MORE PLEASE ? I don't want the song to breathe at all". The lack of dynamics is baffling these days.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #64
pumpkinfan1988
Pledge

Much better. Makes you wonder why a song like Being Beige is even on the album, seems a bit out of place after hearing One And ALL. Also not sure if anyone else noticed but the main riff is very similar to The Viper during the 666 recordings in 1995.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edEM4MmSrnQ

Old 11-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #65
s0ss
Demi-God

Just going to leave this here

Pumpkinfan beat me to it.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #66
panda show
Ownz

yeah, the opening riff does somewhat remind me of the viper riff, just a bar longer.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #67
patj825
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadofnight View Post
You literally can't please some of you people. No matter what kinda song. If Day For Night is really experimental, you still won't respect it. Pathetic
Totally agree.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #68
patj825
Pledge

Word up.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #69
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

How old are some of you? People are going to have different opinions. Deal with it.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #70
s0ss
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by patj825 View Post
Totally agree.
Being Beige is so experimental man. You fucks just don't get the joke! It's a terrible, generic, pandering song and that's the point! Billy is the heel! Like in wrestling man. The last 10 years are part of the master plan.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #71
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ss View Post
William is becoming a good commercial song writer. Would go good in a car commercial.
>>>
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/545...commercial.php

Old 11-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #72
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
It kind of reminds me of a foo fighters song. The guitar tone sounds nice but the song never goes anywhere, it plods along as someone wrote. The lyrics are godawful (why is a 50 year old singing about how young he is?), and the minute his vocals kicked in it just killed it for me.
It is like glitterlips is writing his lyrics.

Why does he even bother to sing at all, it is obvious he doesn't want to.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #73
smashingschnauz
Pledge

It's hard to please people with the body of work Billy has. I really liked Oceania. Many people didn't like Adore but I really liked it.

This song does not blow me away but it's a nice hard rocker. Most of the times with Billy I have to dive deeper in an album to find my favorites.

I don't think there is one single I would consider a real favorite of mine, or at least there are not many.

It's usually deep inside albums or a b-side album where I find his true genius although I do like most singles.

I also get when people say they want more long songs or more dreamy feels to a song or for me a song that takes me out of this world. That's why I started liking the Pumpkins because I could find songs that really took me to another place.

This song is a straight rocker that will not take you to that other place but is still a good one nonetheless. Does he just keep repeating the past to make fans happy or does he continue to explore and do new things. I guess there are some who think he can do both without repeating. It's a slippery slope.

I have the hope that this album and the next one do indeed have songs that take me to another place and from listening to the first 2 there is no way to think it won't do that, because if the past is any indication for me it's inside the album and not singles that do it for me. I may or may not listen to the first singles as much as the others but I suspect this is just an appetizer for what is to come.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #74
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
It is like glitterlips is writing his lyrics.

Why does he even bother to sing at all, it is obvious he doesn't want to.
I honestly think he should try releasing instrumental music. His vocals are shot and his lyrics are…well, I just don't understand what happened there. It would be a nice change in perspective.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #75
vbshlofbvgos
Apocalyptic Poster

I feel absolutely nothing at all when I listen to this. Any emotional connection I once had with this band has been completely severed now. I'm not saying that in criticism of the song (it's not horrible) but just as a general observation. Okay then, moving on now...

Old 11-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #76
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfreak View Post
Brickwalled.
Dynamic Range >>> DR5

The song is much better than Being Beige though. That still doesn't mean it's a great song.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #77
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I like it. That's two pretty good tracks.

Vocals are still the weak link despite a slightly more bearable mix. Lyrics are just filler. He still makes this weird race car noise. "we'yone". "aaaaaaawooooooll". "faaaaaayind".

My only reservation is that this one has no hooks and the driving riff is buried. I liked Oceania on first listen because it sounded better than my expectations, but over time the songwriting didn't stack up at all. I'd like to think MTAE will be better but I'm not sure...

Old 11-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #78
Bomb The Moon
Demi-God

it can have zero dynamic range as long as it melts my face.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #79
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I honestly think he should try releasing instrumental music. His vocals are shot and his lyrics are…well, I just don't understand what happened there. It would be a nice change in perspective.
Or it could be almost all instrumental and just a vocal line. I loved his singing at ravinia, but I know this record was hard for him to sing ( so he said). But having such lazy nonsense, why dows he bother to insult himself so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbshlofbvgos View Post
I feel absolutely nothing at all when I listen to this. Any emotional connection I once had with this band has been completely severed now. I'm not saying that in criticism of the song (it's not horrible) but just as a general observation. Okay then, moving on now...
Remember when you would hear an SP son and think, wow this guy is speaking to me. I feel like this and noone else has said this before. But now it is, I don't know like he is talking to the most mindless idiots.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #80
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

There's already a review on YouTube...come on, Monte...you're next!
>>>

Old 11-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #81
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Or it could be almost all instrumental and just a vocal line. I loved his singing at ravinia, but I know this record was hard for him to sing ( so he said). But having such lazy nonsense, why dows he bother to insult himself so much.
I really didn't like his vocals at Ravinia, his voice is really starting to annoy me. It makes the songs almost unlistenable to me. But maybe you're right, a few vocal lines here and there might temper the harshness and lifelessness of his voice.

Quote:
Remember when you would hear an SP son and think, wow this guy is speaking to me. I feel like this and noone else has said this before. But now it is, I don't know like he is talking to the most mindless idiots.
I'm not knocking the people that genuinely like and are moved by this song, but your average SP fan these days is a meathead, like fuzzy, who just want a "rocker" of a song. They basically like anything with loud guitars. I honestly can't say whether this song is better than Being Beige, there are similar elements between the two that just grate on me. My first gut reaction, aside from the plodding technicalities of the song, is that it is devoid of any passion or emotion. His singing is so lifeless and those lyrics just make it worse. I was instantly attracted to the guitar tone and riff but, as some already pointed out, it's extremely similar to a song he wrote during the MCIS years, which might explain why it felt so instantly familiar (which fans, and meatheads, love to hear - familiarity that is).

Old 11-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #82
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

This isn't too bad. The vocals definitely sound better than in Being Beige. The issue is mostly that I've lost faith in Billy as a songwriter.

Back in the day, I loved pretty much every song he wrote, but I'd be kidding myself if I thought every single one of them was genius. On a song per song basis, the quality was uneven, but the worse ones were elevated because they were part of a larger whole. Even when the lyrics were generic, the song still resonated with me because it was part of a cohesive artistic vision.

I loved Zwan too, and that was because I bought into the idea of the band. A song like My Life and Times didn't have particularly brilliant lyrics, but it fit the feeling of that era. It added to it.

But now Billy has been writing crappy, generic lyrics for so long that the B-list songs don't work anymore. I mean, what does Being Beige and One and All say to you? To me they say nothing. They're completely forgettable. I can't find an "emotional center" in any these songs. There are parts that sound good, but overall they sound hollow and not worth my time.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #83
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I really didn't like his vocals at Ravinia, his voice is really starting to annoy me. It makes the songs almost unlistenable to me. But maybe you're right, a few vocal lines here and there might temper the harshness and lifelessness of his voice.

I'm not knocking the people that genuinely like and are moved by this song, but your average SP fan these days is a meathead, like fuzzy, who just want a "rocker" of a song. They basically like anything with loud guitars. I honestly can't say whether this song is better than Being Beige, there are similar elements between the two that just grate on me. My first gut reaction, aside from the plodding technicalities of the song, is that it is devoid of any passion or emotion. His singing is so lifeless and those lyrics just make it worse. I was instantly attracted to the guitar tone and riff but, as some already pointed out, it's extremely similar to a song he wrote during the MCIS years, which might explain why it felt so instantly familiar (which fans, and meatheads, love to hear - familiarity that is).

Bingo, this explains why I dislike it so much.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #84
bye june
Ownz

I was excited until the vocals came in. They're so out of place...and the lyrics are so...beige.

We are in the era of beige.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #85
Bread Regal
Banned

v. zero EP

i like it

Old 11-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #86
Order 66
Socialphobic

del

Old 11-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #87
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
This isn't too bad. The vocals definitely sound better than in Being Beige. The issue is mostly that I've lost faith in Billy as a songwriter.

Back in the day, I loved pretty much every song he wrote, but I'd be kidding myself if I thought every single one of them was genius. On a song per song basis, the quality was uneven, but the worse ones were elevated because they were part of a larger whole. Even when the lyrics were generic, the song still resonated with me because it was part of a cohesive artistic vision.

I loved Zwan too, and that was because I bought into the idea of the band. A song like My Life and Times didn't have particularly brilliant lyrics, but it fit the feeling of that era. It added to it.

But now Billy has been writing crappy, generic lyrics for so long that the B-list songs don't work anymore. I mean, what does Being Beige and One and All say to you? To me they say nothing. They're completely forgettable. I can't find an "emotional center" in any these songs. There are parts that sound good, but overall they sound hollow and not worth my time.

Usually I say that I care about lyrics in SP, but that's not entirely true. I take nonsense lyrics any day (I mean Gish to MCIS has a bunch of laughable lyrics) as long as they are delivered in an enjoyable form. But with these two album tracks, the HOW is worse than what he's singing. And that leaves me wondering if this track would be good as either instrumental or a different singer. I can't hear it since the vocals make my ears turn inside out.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #88
Tootles
Demi-God

Generic at best. Oceania so far is much better than these 2 songs. I like Oceania but it is my least favorite album. Not a good sign.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #89
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ss View Post
Just going to leave this here

Pumpkinfan beat me to it.
ok so it is off the zero ep

Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #90
christian zombie vampires
Apocalyptic Poster

Jesus who'd have thought this would be easily one of the best things since adore. Actually I'm pretty sure I like it better than adore. This is pure 90s for the first time since the 90s, and it just shows what an idiot he is for taking this long to play to his strengths. And being so different than beige actually makes me excited that MTAE might be actually diverse.