Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2019, 06:01 AM   #31
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

this is super accurate if you ask me. no matter how much great drumming, technical skillz and noodling they lay on top of it, the basis always is dumb pentatonic riffs.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #32
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

d e l

Last edited by Mals Marola : 08-10-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #33
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
I dunno that sounds p good lol

Old 08-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #34
Eulogy
huh

Like what do you all want from them? I don’t get it.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #35
Kahlo

Listened again today. I'd largely forgotten most of the song other than the first minute. It has little to no replay value imo.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #36
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda show View Post
I agree. I think it comes down to the fact that they're simply good musicians and they're smart, in that they know how to maintain the sound that they've patented over the years. Not chasing trends is a big part of it, but that's kind of expected, I mean we are talking about Tool here.
i would say side-projects have a lot to do with it. i'm not a huge Tool fan but i have seen Puscifer live and have heard at least a few Perfect Circle tracks - seems clear to me that Maynard Keenan wouldn't feel too obligated to make a new Tool song that didn't sound like Tool considering just about any other style or sound he'd want to do could probably be handled by one of those other bands.

Billy meanwhile seems to be dumping just about every idea and wild stylistic shift he has into the Pumpkins, and has been since the late 90s (tho results didn't quite go downhill 'til SP2, imo)

Old 08-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #37
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

side-projects in general are almost always a benefit to the artist's "main band" because they can actually bring some of the ideas in from those experiments after having weeded out a lot of the chaff, so to speak. just seems like a win/win situation

Old 08-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #38
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Well it sounds like Tool. I’m impressed how easy they recaptured their sound
Tool's sound is not original, and its crazy so many people are lauding them for recapturing it. It is not difficult to do stupid quasi-middle eastern drop-D noodling. You can hear this sound simply by walking into a guitar centre and finding the guy with the ibanez.

And then there is the vocals. Maynard's melodies are nauseatingly rudimentary and follow the guitar line half the time, and he's an utter twat.

OOO bUt tHe dRuMmiNg iS goOd sEE? tHe chErnObyl sEqeuNce hrrr drr.

This band is a XXL monster energy drink t-shirt.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #39
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad View Post
Tool's sound is not original, and its crazy so many people are lauding them for recapturing it. It is not difficult to do stupid quasi-middle eastern drop-D noodling. You can hear this sound simply by walking into a guitar centre and finding the guy with the ibanez.
lol. if i hadn't "del'd" my earlier post this would be the second reference to Guitar Center on this very page

Old 08-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #40
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

People on an SP forum trashing Tool is just flat out hilarious

A band 25 years past their prime fronted by a dress wearing QAnon supporter that hasn’t made a decent song since before Y2K trashing Tool for being rudimentary

I’m not the biggest Tool fan but writing them off for being basic considering the source is fucking ace.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #41
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
People on an SP forum trashing Tool is just flat out hilarious

A band 25 years past their prime fronted by a dress wearing QAnon supporter that hasn’t made a decent song since before Y2K trashing Tool for being rudimentary

I’m not the biggest Tool fan but writing them off for being basic considering the source is fucking ace.
Being a fan of either band in 2019 puts you in juggalo territory of cultural cache at this point.

Netphoria 4ever. <3

Old 08-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #42
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
A band 25 years past their prime fronted by a dress wearing QAnon supporter that hasn’t made a decent song since before Y2K
the difference is we routinely acknowledge this (with a couple of exceptions along the way of course)

there doesn't seem to be a Tool fan group out there that isn't some equivalent of Sad Machines - probably because Maynard himself is the Netphoria of that community

Old 08-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #43
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

even as a very casual observer of Tool i'd openly admit the prospect of their new album is way more exciting in the overall scheme of things than Shiny Vol 2 Bald Lords, Slide Glasses & a Man on the Couch

Old 08-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #44
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Guitar Center thing is mostly egged on by the fact that it almost seems like a law by this point for 25% of all people to play the intro to "Schism" for like 6 minutes straight anytime they take a bass off a wall at any given establishment

Old 08-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #45
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
Guitar Center thing is mostly egged on by the fact that it almost seems like a law by this point for 25% of all people to play the intro to "Schism" for like 6 minutes straight anytime they take a bass off a wall at any given establishment
To be fair, isn’t Schism just that same riff for six minutes

Schism is a beating of a song

Old 08-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #46
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Being a fan of either band in 2019 puts you in juggalo territory of cultural cache at this point.

Netphoria 4ever. <3
yeah apparently people still think netphoria is somehow a smashing pumpkins board

Old 08-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #47
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Thumbs up

Yes, this is now a Boris board!!!

Old 08-11-2019, 05:17 AM   #48
TuralyonW3
Immortal

As you peons bitch and moan, Tool is dominating the steaming and sales charts.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:25 AM   #49
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
To be fair, isn’t Schism just that same riff for six minutes
troll

Old 08-11-2019, 05:27 AM   #50
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
Listened again today. I'd largely forgotten most of the song other than the first minute. It has little to no replay value imo.
And I’ve played it like 30 times already, go figure

Old 08-11-2019, 05:29 AM   #51
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:

And then there is the vocals. Maynard's melodies are nauseatingly rudimentary and follow the guitar line half the time, and he's an utter twat.

OOO bUt tHe dRuMmiNg iS goOd sEE? tHe chErnObyl sEqeuNce hrrr drr.

This band is a XXL monster energy drink t-shirt.
Ignorant troll

Old 08-11-2019, 05:31 AM   #52
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
even as a very casual observer of Tool i'd openly admit the prospect of their new album is way more exciting in the overall scheme of things than Shiny Vol 2 Bald Lords, Slide Glasses & a Man on the Couch
Understatement of the century

Old 08-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #53
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
i would say side-projects have a lot to do with it. i'm not a huge Tool fan but i have seen Puscifer live and have heard at least a few Perfect Circle tracks - seems clear to me that Maynard Keenan wouldn't feel too obligated to make a new Tool song that didn't sound like Tool considering just about any other style or sound he'd want to do could probably be handled by one of those other bands.

Billy meanwhile seems to be dumping just about every idea and wild stylistic shift he has into the Pumpkins, and has been since the late 90s (tho results didn't quite go downhill 'til SP2, imo)
You’ve heard... at least a few apc songs??

Mer de noms is a classic

Old 08-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #54
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
yeah apparently people still think netphoria is somehow a smashing pumpkins board
It definitely still is a SP board.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #55
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
It definitely still is a SP board.
Is it though

Old 08-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #56
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Ignorant troll
Ok so "troll" as catch all for any criticism of the band. I don't think it should surprise you that there is a significant portion of listeners who laugh at Tool the same we do for Rush and plenty of other nerd bands. They just suck. It's fine.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #57
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Is it though
lol, well it definitely wasn't a year or ten ago. it is SP maybe moreso then back then yeah.. But still, that's the question.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #58
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Shitting on a popular band's musical technique for whatever reason

News

Old 08-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #59
panda show
Ownz

Quote:
Ok so "troll" as catch all for any criticism of the band. I don't think it should surprise you that there is a significant portion of listeners who laugh at Tool the same we do for Rush and plenty of other nerd bands. They just suck. It's fine.
well your criticism was pretty troll-like, especially the part about maynard's vocals being shit, that was plain retarded lol

Old 08-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #60
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Been in touch with a bunch of old high school classmates recently and was shocked at how many of them still worshiped this band and never really expanded their tastes beyond Tool and other Maynard-related projects. Tool was never quite one of my main bands, but listening to them and going to Tool shows was a big pastime between me and a bunch of other guys who had nothing in common, really, besides similar music tastes and being forced to grow up in the same small town. They were all freaking out over the new song like it was the best thing they'd ever heard, and completely innovative, which I just don't see at all- but at the same time, I do really like the song, probably more than just about everything off of 10,000 Days at the very least, and I am excited to hear the new album.

It seems like no one can just simply like this band or something. I think that might have something to do with Maynard's preachy, holier than thou approach to lyrics. They have this sort of neckbeard spirituality coupled into their songwriting and art that seems stupid and silly if you're someone who listens to a lot of music, and transcendent and powerful and just so very very smartly incinerating if you never really get into much else. I like a lot of stuff that's similar to Tool- NIN, Helmet, Isis, and Cult of Luna, etc. - sonically, structurally, or otherwise- and the band just feels human to me at this point. I like them, and I'm excited for the new record, but only in the same way I get excited when a band I like puts out a record. I don't get the jaw dropping expectations or fucking anything surrounding this release.