Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Deftones

One of my favorite bands and I just wanted them to have their own thread. That's all for now.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I for one was quite happy talking about them in the Limp Bizkit thread but I suppose this'll do!

Old 12-12-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Diamond Eyes
Koi No Yokan
White Pony
self-titled
Saturday Night Wrist
Around the Fur
Gore
Adrenaline

that's my list, do what you will with it

Old 12-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
I for one was quite happy talking about them in the Limp Bizkit thread but I suppose this'll do!
I hear you but in this thread I'll tell the story of briefly meeting Chino, Chi, Step and Abe during a snow storm December 2000.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Four of us drove 8 and a half hours to St. Louis, MO to see them at a venue called The Pagaent, December 7th 2000. Incubus and Taproot opened. The first leg of this tour got Glassjaw with no Incubus, this would have been ok with me but Incubus played a good set in St. Louis. My gf at the time, the woman I would come to spend the next several years of my life with and I had recently met at a Halloween party. One of the first things we bonded over was our mutual love of the band.

The weather was crap, we were young and stupid running around in t-shirts with maybe a hoodie. We did some touristy stuff like getting pictures at the Arch etc. We eventually ended up at a record store and they had this section of band promo pics I was flipping through. I remember being extremely bummed my gf could not be with on this trip because someone else snagged one of the 4 tickets right before I met her. Having already seen the band 14 or 15 times by this point (lots of mid/late 90s shows) she was not devastated but as I said I was still bummed to be away from her at a Deftones show. I found 2 identical Deftones promo pictures with the idea of politely asking "Would you please sign this one for my friend who couldn't make it?" should I by some stroke of luck run into any of the band members.

Taproot's live set was good. Incubus brought it (never got into Morning View the album after this tour) but of course Deftones blew the roof off the joint. Fast forward to heading back outside a sweaty mess into snow coming down at a pretty good clip. I don't recall what happened to my White Pony hoodie that I wore often in this era, probably left it in the car. I do remember standing behind the venue in a massive line of folks trying to get stuff signed or say hello to the band. This weird mix of rain/snow was coming down and one or two of my friends bailed. Some other people in line started to bail. I was determined to obtain as many autographs as I could for this person I met a month ago and could not stop thinking about.

Eventually patience paid off and one by one the Deftones made their way down this huge line of fans (we were all FREEZING at this point) signing things, shaking hands and saying hello. It was pretty intimidating to be honest. I shook Step's hand and politely said "Hello, would you please sign a 2nd one for a friend who couldn't make it? Thank you so much Steph." Abe made his way down the line and I made the same timid request. Chino came through and I was just trying to hold it together!! I honestly don't remember the order in which they came out on the way to their bus and I don't remember if Frank made it out. What I do remember is asking "Chi, sorry to bother you but would you please sign one for my girlfriend as well?" Chi said "No problem man, one for you and one for the lady."

They didn't have to freeze their asses off on the way to the tour bus but they made time to greet each and everyone of us who took the time to wait for them in some crazy mix of down pouring rain and snow. I can't remember what I said to them or what others around me said but I do remember a lot of handshakes. I also remember each and everyone of them being nothing but super gracious and kind to everyone in line. I caught one of the nastiest colds of my life on that trip and was sick for a month or more but it was completely worth it. I ran into my copy of the promo pic autographs the other day while I was going through some things and although I've seen them several times since that will always be my favorite show.

Korea
Feiticeira
Around the Fur
Root
Bored
Change (In the House of Flies)
Digital Bath
Teenager
Back to School (Mini Maggit)
Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)
MX
Lotion
Knife Prty
My Own Summer (Shove It)
Headup

Encore:
Engine No. 9
7 Words
(with Incubus) (with Say It Ain't So by Weezer)

Old 12-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

That's a beautiful story MCIS - i don't suppose to taped any of that concert by chance?

& lol @ them closing with Say It Ain't So. The story in general + the fact that they're still doing shit like that (I met 4/5 of them myself about a year ago) +, of course, the fact that the music's still good - what some bands make look impossible they make look so easy

Old 12-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Didn't start taping until 2004 but when I was collecting Deftones recordings in the early/mid aughts I believe I found a not so great tape of St. Louis. Something is better than nothing though so I should try to dig that out.

They mixed some of Say it Ain't So into the middle of 7 words. Did a "deftones 7 words say it ain't so 2000" on youtube and found some CUTS from that era.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Speaking of Weezer it was always fun when they mixed in some Tired of Sex.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #9
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Deftones is a band that I listened to when I was around 18 or so and many of these bands I despise now (looking at you, Tool), but I have some love left for White Pony, the album that I discovered them through. I like about half of Around the Fur a lot and the s/t is pretty cool too. everything after that is a mixed bag, but still a lot better than whatever bands from that era that are still around (SP, check)

Old 12-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

I certainly don't listen to them like I did when I was 16-mid 20s and I fell off a bit after s/t so I'm not the truest fan out there but they will always be close to my heart. I grew up on Around the Fur and Adrenaline so they would never leave the top half of my "ranked albums" list. Will always love White Pony.

Would like to spend some more time with Diamond Eyes, Koi No Yokan and Gore.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

man y'all are fallin' off before the best stuff, imo

Old 12-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

in fact, my favorite Deftones song is probably this one from Saturday Night Wrist

Old 12-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #13
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

I liked some songs on Saturday Night Wrist but just couldn't get into it as an album. Around that time I started to get into lots of other bands knowing Deftones would always be there for me.

Edit: hit save before even seeing your post!

Old 12-13-2018, 03:37 AM   #14
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I've always felt like I should like this band more than I do. I fucked with White Pony and S/T a bit as a goth teen, and their music is made up of all the stuff i love - filthy chugs, pretty shoegaze chords in metal, badass syncopated rhythm section - but for some reason we've just never had a really special relationship. I totally rate Abe Cunningham as a drummer though, I learnt every fill from Minerva back in the day and it became the basis for a lot of my playbook as a drummer.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:58 AM   #15
noyen
Immortal

they do one of the few close to decent cure covers and their debut record was the soundtrack to a really fucked up year for me.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #16
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Self-Titled kicks all manner of ass

Old 12-17-2018, 03:21 AM   #17
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
they do one of the few close to decent cure covers and their debut record was the soundtrack to a really fucked up year for me.
noyen have you heard this:

Old 12-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #18
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

they have a pretty good Sade cover, too

Deftones that is

Old 12-17-2018, 08:54 AM   #19
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

oh & i like this one

Old 12-17-2018, 11:08 PM   #20
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

when the mood strikes, really like them. adrenaline, around the fur, white pony, self-titled. love most of each of those. but after that... i don't really know, i don't really get into it, haven't spent the time and the few times i've tried, didn't feel it as much. but i go back to those first 4 albums from time to time

also... when i hear the riffs and the tones that steph comes up with, i expect him to sound different than he does in interviews. he comes off as a lazy pot smoking chilled out dude, which i guess he is, but his riffs fucking rule and are full of energy. also their drumming rules. also i like in live videos when chino shrieks like a hawk

Last edited by wHATcOLOR : 12-17-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:11 AM   #21
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
noyen have you heard this:

yes, I have. i like converge but I don't know if I've heard a high enough quality version to get past what I don't like about the vocals/delivery. good still.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:18 AM   #22
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
when the mood strikes, really like them. adrenaline, around the fur, white pony, self-titled. love most of each of those. but after that... i don't really know, i don't really get into it, haven't spent the time and the few times i've tried, didn't feel it as much. but i go back to those first 4 albums from time to time

also... when i hear the riffs and the tones that steph comes up with, i expect him to sound different than he does in interviews. he comes off as a lazy pot smoking chilled out dude, which i guess he is, but his riffs fucking rule and are full of energy. also their drumming rules. also i like in live videos when chino shrieks like a hawk
Koi No Yokan and Gore are basically perfect.

SNW is the weakest of the bunch but has some highlights.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:19 AM   #23
Eulogy
huh

Also chino in the you’ve seen the butcher video is hot af. Underrated song too imo.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:19 AM   #24
Eulogy
huh

I really love the deftones guys

Old 12-18-2018, 12:31 AM   #25
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post

at some point i will give them another go and do my best to report back here with my reaction to this

Old 12-18-2018, 12:45 AM   #26
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post

damn, after a while of Sputnik being my only outlet for talking about these guys (online at least) this is a very strange opinion to see. so used to people jizzing over SNW & hating on Gore - though i personally find SNW kinda uneven despite having some perfect tracks (Beware, Combat, Kimdracula) but yeah i dunno that was never really an easy one to get through as a full album for me

yer definitely right about Koi. near-flawless record, & frankly i'm not even sure what i'd say the flaws are right now

Old 12-18-2018, 04:46 AM   #27
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
damn, after a while of Sputnik being my only outlet for talking about these guys (online at least) this is a very strange opinion to see. so used to people jizzing over SNW & hating on Gore - though i personally find SNW kinda uneven despite having some perfect tracks (Beware, Combat, Kimdracula) but yeah i dunno that was never really an easy one to get through as a full album for me

yer definitely right about Koi. near-flawless record, & frankly i'm not even sure what i'd say the flaws are right now
There aren’t any. Romantic dreams, entombed, Rosemary, what happened to you... all the others really. I know tempest was in transformers or whatever but it’s still a jam.

Probably chinos best vocal effort.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:44 AM   #28
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Angry

I'm not seeing enough love for Diamond Eyes here.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:44 AM   #29
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
I'm not seeing enough love for Diamond Eyes here.
bruh, i literally listed it as my #1

bruh bruh!

Old 12-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #30
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Not good enough!