Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Default RIP Scott Hutchison

It's been a few weeks since his body was found but I still want to pay tribute to him and his band. One of the best concerts I've attended!

Sadly he wrote a song telling the story about his suicide 10 years before he actually took his life, exactly the way he sings in the song!

Old 06-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, this hit harder than expected. He wrote some very personal and affecting songs.

Midnight Organ Fight is a modern classic.
Painting of a Panic Attack is strong too.

The grungey Mastersystem album he released in April has some great tracks and Siamese Dream was namechecked as an influence. A lot of his lyrics in retrospect heavily foreshadowed his fate.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:19 AM   #3
noyen
Immortal

I have friends who were very close to him, it is still really roughly real to be that close to it and it makes me uneasy because hey, I am suicide obsessed.

Old 12-25-2019, 03:02 AM   #4
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

when this hit the news last year i didn't really know anything about him. i had seen the name frightened rabbit before but hadn't listened to them, so it didn't really register with me.

several months ago spotify recommended bird is bored of flying by mastersystem and i wasn't listening closely but i enjoyed it.

i returned to it a few weeks later, stopped and thought, holy shit, this is amazing. damn.

little bit of research, lo and behold, learned this was a side project band and he'd already been dead for about a year. :/

in hindsight the song is even more.. damn

last couple months i've spent a lot of time listening to frightened rabbit and mastersystem - what a loss. i didn't get it at the time.

i realize i'm an untr00 fan and the timing on this is strange, but all the same.. it's had an impact

have watched several interviews on youtube and it's plain to see he was charismatic, humble, intelligent, articulate. seems like he was a lovely person.

my wife was telling me recently in her acting class they had this group bonding session thing where they asked eachother to say what their greatest fears were (i know, i know). but when i heard about it, i thought to myself that my greatest fear is that i will eventually end up killing myself, no matter how things go, no matter what i do. the endless list of incredible people who ultimately can't outrun this shit should give us all pause. and it seems like making a nice, successful, stable life doesn't ultimately provide enough buffer to keep someone safe.

so yeah, even though my timing is strange here, his death really affected me. surely it did several of you as well

care to share any impressions of what it was like seeing him live? i dig mastersystem a bit more than frightened rabbit currently, but there's just the 1 album there and thankfully lots more from frightened rabbit.. what songs/albums do you like the most?

thanks

Old 01-12-2020, 03:14 AM   #5
noyen
Immortal

i'd never heard any of his projects prior to his death. mastersystem stuff was great to get into. as for frightened rabbit I really like the cover of ntrance set u free and die like a rich boy which get heavy play in my playlists lately. it's really sad still but it's equally amazing and inspiring to see how all the bands both in and out of that circle in scotland responded to it all and rallied around to help each other and doing so much positive and carrying the torch and all... i remember that time when he went missing and how hopeful everyone was that he'd be found okay. one of my friends was a really close friend to him and he's still wrecked from the outcome. it's all a reminder that suicide is no joke and the wake of pain it leaves is intense. it's cool you ended up getting more into the music and just the whole story on how it affected you. all the music left behind is really a lasting gift.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:55 AM   #6
wHATcOLOR

yeah, love die like a rich boy, so good. agreed, the music does feel like a lasting gift left behind. fucking brutal though

Old 01-15-2020, 11:45 PM   #7
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
yeah, love die like a rich boy, so good. agreed, the music does feel like a lasting gift left behind. fucking brutal though
it really is something I wish never happened it's real tough to move past the idea people can get so low to feel that way. makes me want to reach out and hug anyone who does.

https://youtu.be/JGxyCs30tfU
just ran across this acoustic version tonight. sounds more Scottish to me here

Old 01-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
Kahlo

I met Scott a few times, and photographed him when they were signed to Fat Cat, which was 12 years ago. Wow. Crazy how time flies. Such a loss.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:29 AM   #9
wHATcOLOR

this song in particular is really good too