Old 06-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Default Karens

post Karens here

Old 06-08-2020, 04:42 PM   #2
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

You deserved it. My opinion. Yeah, y-you pushed her and she smacked you.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I'm always curious why that name in particular was chosen to represent that personality type. Every Karen I know is super sweet.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

It's a very Boomer name.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #5
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

there are actually many different levels to being a Karen, like the Masons

just think of all the Susans, Patricias, and Carols at even high tiers

Old 06-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #6
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

I worked at a grocery store in parts of 2018 and 2019 (about 13 months total). As a cashier, I have lots of personal Karen stories, so I figure this is as good a place as any to share some of them.

1. Probably my personal favorite: My friend and I were working together at a register; they were cashiering and I was bagging. We were giggling about the terrible Blake Shelton song being played and how he pronounced the word "finger" as "fanger". The man who we checked out then asked if he could speak to our manager. Our front end manager later told us the man had complained about us giggling about Shelton saying "fanger" as he was from the South and thought we were making fun of his accent (we had never even heard him speak).

2. I was checking out a guy who had a slice of pizza from the deli. The guys in the deli had put the price tag on the wrong side of the box, so I flipped it to scan it. In retrospect I should have just removed the tag and scanned it, but the customer freaked out, screaming that I ruined his pizza and angrily stomping off without paying (or the pizza).

3. This one happened to my friend who I have mentioned already. My friend was working in the liquor store, and a woman and her daughter asked a question about something. My friend looked it up on their phone, and the woman proceeded to "tsk!" and tell my friend they were "such a millennial".

4. The same friend and I were working in tandem at a register; they were cashiering and I was bagging. A woman pointedly told us we were "the slowest line in the world".

5. An irate instacart employee was frustrated with the service at the register my friend and I were bagging on, if memory serve correctly. She demanded to see a manager, and when the assistant manager came out, she decided that wasn't good enough and demanded to see the store manager himself. She then proceeded to lose her shit at him.

6. I was checking out a couple and their young kids. The wife hands me a bouquet of flowers which was soaking wet and got water all over my register. Immediately after I scan it, she tells me she doesn't actually want it. I foolishly rolled my eyes, which then set her off and she demanded to see the manager who she told me she knew, after which her and her husband made a concerted effort to get me in trouble. I was wrong to roll my eyes, but I apologized multiple times for it to no avail, and thought their reaction was over the top.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #7
redbreegull

not to mention Nancys, Brendas, Cheryls, Julies, and even Tammys

Old 06-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #8
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
2. I was checking out a guy who had a slice of pizza from the deli. The guys in the deli had put the price tag on the wrong side of the box, so I flipped it to scan it. In retrospect I should have just removed the tag and scanned it, but the customer freaked out, screaming that I ruined his pizza and angrily stomping off without paying (or the pizza).
Oh in retrospect huh?

“Now that i think about it,” i see how it is.

You monster. You ruined that pizza! And also my day! Been dreaming about that slice all morning, took the I35 just so i could make it back to my shift on time (even tho the extra cars and speed activate my anxiety and unwanted thoughts of yes let’s go ahead and face it suicidal ideations of zooming off high overpasses into treetops etc.) because i just wanted that slice. It had been a hard week, month, life.

And then u flipped that slice so casually, as if it was the most normal thing in the world to want to peel cheese off cardboard with your lunch. Life. Just chewing the inevitable bits of cardboard, with my face, forever, fine, who cares. Just charge along blindly thru your motions of is it food product that’s purchased ok scan it however who cares ok, on to the next one, no big deal, whatever works best for u, as if your choices are your own and don’t actually slam up against the raw faces/lives of the oh that’s right did u happen to notice all these people all around u? But it’s ok, that’s what everyone does anyway, nowadays, who cares

Old 06-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #9
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Drunk Racist Karen

Old 06-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #10
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Oh in retrospect huh?

“Now that i think about it,” i see how it is.

You monster. You ruined that pizza! And also my day! Been dreaming about that slice all morning, took the I35 just so i could make it back to my shift on time (even tho the extra cars and speed activate my anxiety and unwanted thoughts of yes let’s go ahead and face it suicidal ideations of zooming off high overpasses into treetops etc.) because i just wanted that slice. It had been a hard week, month, life.

And then u flipped that slice so casually, as if it was the most normal thing in the world to want to peel cheese off cardboard with your lunch. Life. Just chewing the inevitable bits of cardboard, with my face, forever, fine, who cares. Just charge along blindly thru your motions of is it food product that’s purchased ok scan it however who cares ok, on the the next one, no big deal, whatever works best for u, as if your choices are your own and don’t actually hurt the people all around u, it’s ok, that’s what everyone does anyway, nowadays, who cares

Old 06-08-2020, 07:15 PM   #11
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Truck driving granny Karen

Old 06-08-2020, 07:15 PM   #12
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

I actually saw "Pizza Guy", as I called him, again. And he of course was getting another slice of pizza. I don't think he remembered me, or if he did, he wasn't holding a grudge. Of course I remembered to take off the sticker that time, and he was able to enjoy his pizza that day without any of that pesky cardboard (truth be told the pizza boxes weren't made of cardboard but for the sake of Run to Me I'll say they were) in his teeth.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:16 PM   #13
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

this dude was a Karen

Old 06-08-2020, 07:17 PM   #14
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Do you guys consider Trump a Karen?

Old 06-08-2020, 07:19 PM   #15
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
I worked at a grocery store in parts of 2018 and 2019 (about 13 months total). As a cashier, I have lots of personal Karen stories, so I figure this is as good a place as any to share some of them.

1. Probably my personal favorite: My friend and I were working together at a register; they were cashiering and I was bagging. We were giggling about the terrible Blake Shelton song being played and how he pronounced the word "finger" as "fanger". The man who we checked out then asked if he could speak to our manager. Our front end manager later told us the man had complained about us giggling about Shelton saying "fanger" as he was from the South and thought we were making fun of his accent (we had never even heard him speak).

3. This one happened to my friend who I have mentioned already. My friend was working in the liquor store, and a woman and her daughter asked a question about something. My friend looked it up on their phone, and the woman proceeded to "tsk!" and tell my friend they were "such a millennial".

4. The same friend and I were working in tandem at a register; they were cashiering and I was bagging. A woman pointedly told us we were "the slowest line in the world".

5. An irate instacart employee was frustrated with the service at the register my friend and I were bagging on, if memory serve correctly. She demanded to see a manager, and when the assistant manager came out, she decided that wasn't good enough and demanded to see the store manager himself. She then proceeded to lose her shit at him.

6. I was checking out a couple and their young kids. The wife hands me a bouquet of flowers which was soaking wet and got water all over my register. Immediately after I scan it, she tells me she doesn't actually want it. I foolishly rolled my eyes, which then set her off and she demanded to see the manager who she told me she knew, after which her and her husband made a concerted effort to get me in trouble. I was wrong to roll my eyes, but I apologized multiple times for it to no avail, and thought their reaction was over the top.
I spent almost 10 years working in and managing a supermarket. I've seen this shit over and over.

I used to have a 5 min long voicemail that I had saved and would occasionally play for people at work. It was from a customer angry about the fact that sugar was on the ingredient list for bacon. The voicemail started out in a terse tone and by the end of the 5 minute message she was screaming into the phone that I had attempted to murder her with sugar and that she was going get me fired, call the local news, and "beat my ass"

Old 06-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #16
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
this dude was a Karen

that's a Chad. Get your own thread for Chads!

Old 06-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #17
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
I spent almost 10 years working in and managing a supermarket. I've seen this shit over and over.

I used to have a 5 min long voicemail that I had saved and would occasionally play for people at work. It was from a customer angry about the fact that sugar was on the ingredient list for bacon. The voicemail started out in a terse tone and by the end of the 5 minute message she was screaming into the phone that I had attempted to murder her with sugar and that she was going get me fired, call the local news, and "beat my ass"
That's horrible. I never encountered anyone quite that awful, thankfully. Sorry you did, but it seems you got some laughs out of it at least. A particularly bad customer can truly ruin your whole day, at least in my experience. It seems to me like some of them don't view grocery store employees as equal to them, and rather as servants. Lost track of how many times customers left their cart behind for me or a coworker to put away as if we were their maid.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #18
FoolofaTook

Red face

sounds like you checked out a lot of ppl squishy

you need to get those hormones under control yo

Old 06-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #19
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

If someone had told me 5 years ago I'd be putting Took on my blocked list in 2020 I would have asked them "why did I wait so long"

Old 06-08-2020, 07:56 PM   #20
FoolofaTook

again: wow.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #21
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:

I had a customer return Hawaiian Sweet Rolls and was like "why do they put sugar in everything, even bread?"

I couldn't help it... I said "they're hawaiian sweet rolls"

but I kinda mumbled. she didn't hear

Old 06-08-2020, 08:35 PM   #22
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Work at customer service at a chain known primarily for customer service is pretty wild. Though I haven't worked since the pandemic started. They asked me today when I plan on coming back, actually.

This was maybe six months into working there. The first customer I ever remember really fucking with me came up with the wrong sized item of Ritz fucking crackers. The ONLY one in the whole section that wasn't buy one get one free. We have a policy that if it rings up wrong it's free, so if it's a BOGO that rings up wrong, you get both free.
Well I looked at the shelf and it wasn't BOGO, but I said no problem I'll give it to you BOGO. I felt comfortable enough at the time with doing that, knowing I saved my manager a trip just to tell me the same thing.

But that wasn't good enough. She wanted the Publix Promise, both for free.
I got my supervisor, who also checked the shelf, said OK we'll give you one for free. I told her I already offered her BOGO and she didn't want it. Customer said I MOVED THE SIGN. Why the fuck would I move the sign? I love giving mispriced shit away, honestly.

Supervisor wouldn't let her have it.

I was on express BTW. So the supervisor said let me take you over to customer service and we'll talk there.

Customer refuses to move. "What can you do for me there that you can't do for me here?"

Asst store manager comes out and gets her to move.

I found out later the ASM told her he knew I didn't move it but to let her have whatever she wanted, and he went away. So the supervisor went to give her the two for free and the customer decided that, since he said she could have whatever, she wanted the size of the ones that WERE BOGO (aka the bigger size).

She got it.

Saw her a ton of times after that, totally a nice person. Was really bizarre.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:40 PM   #23
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I got a customer one of the last days I worked, she was at CS but I was also doing lottery, and the lottery person got there first, so I walked over to the terminal and told the lady in the middle I'd be right with her, and started helping the lotto person.

She goes "what did you say?" and I thought she didn't hear me, so I said "I said I'll be right with you"

She goes on to tell me that the lady in front of me deserves more respect, and I just rudely said "what do you want?" to her while not even looking at the lady I was helping.

I say that's not what I said. She said oh yes it is, I have great hearing. Publix has a code of ethics and basically called me unethical for something I didn't even do that wouldn't even have been unethical, just rude...

Finally I get back to her and she's still going on and I'm like look, that's not what I said. She keeps going on and I'm like fine, can I help you?

At this point I don't want to seem like a bitch and I'm trying to be overly nice because I know she's interpreting everything I'm doing as spiteful even though it's not. She's finally goes ANYWAY, give me (whatever) and I ring it up and I'm like okay anything else (like normal) and it's obvious she expected me to fight and she doesn't know what to say now that I'm just ringing her up and not fighting with her. She just says... "and I'll take that receipt" and that was it. I expected her to complain, but she didn't.

I was kind of proud of myself for not agreeing I said some shit I didn't say.

This whole thing would have bothered me A LOT like five years ago but it just made me mad for a few mins

so either she 1) know I didn't say that and was doing on purpose or 2) cannot think for one moment maybe she heard me wrong.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #24
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

The amount of "regular" Karen stories I have could file the Library of Alexandria (RIP) so instead let me tell you about Karen, my supervisor, who is legit low IQ but doesn't realize it and doesn't do any work and doesn't understand why she doesn't get promoted. I actually started appreciating her a little near when I was leaving, yeah she's dumb and a shitty worker but who cares, but then I friended her on Facebook...

She's also 60 and looks about 45, she's not like beautiful or anything just looks like 45 year old mom not a grandmother of teenagers

Old 06-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #25
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
sounds like you checked out a lot of ppl squishy

you need to get those hormones under control yo
Checked out, in the layman’s sense, not in the metaphorical, romantical way, you plebeian.

/WPC

Old 06-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #26
FoolofaTook

Old 06-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #27
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

What does Karen post on FB, reprise? Don’t leave us hanging.

Also yeah giving customers stuff for free to placate them was pretty common in my experience.

Now that I think of it, I bet some customers pretend to be mad to get free shit.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #28
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
that's a Chad. Get your own thread for Chads!
Nope, he’s a Kyle. Chads don’t shop there either.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:40 AM   #29
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

What are we all going to do now that Took is on everyone's ignore list? Celebrate? Pizza party? Wanna hear my 3eb-themed mixtape?!

Old 06-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #30
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i have an idea

let's talk about BORIS