Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #61
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

Location: They don't know who did it, but they're looking for hardened criminals

I was talking to an army medic whose job is to draw blood to be sent over seas for the wounded. He mentioned that the majority of people he's drawing blood from ate on at least three different kind of psych meds. While I do understand where you're coming from trots, you are doing what you're accusing others of doing. For example will you deny the prescription drug problem that has been perpetuated by the FDA and pharmaceutical companies? Will you deny that corporate greed supersedes social welfare?

Old 10-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #62
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
no, i think the capitalist powers-that-be determine cultural values, it's a pretty basic communist concept

it's not a deliberate conspiracy theory, it's more of a general collective direction of culture by the means of production.
why would capitalist powers-that-be want to reduce the amount of money flowing into giant corporations?

and i do think you're overestimating the number of anti-meds people out there. no one here is saying medication is never necessary, for one. and people are still taking a whole lot of medications for lots of reasons.

afaik, people, at least of our generation, don't consider taking meds to be a sign of weakness.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #63
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post

afaik, people, at least of our generation, don't consider taking meds to be a sign of weakness.
again one man's personal universe trumps reality.

as soon as i started taking prozac i had to endure weird looks and "holy shit! really!??!" from co-workers and "friends" as well as a few lectures about personal responsibility and willpower.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #64
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
why would capitalist powers-that-be want to reduce the amount of money flowing into giant corporations?
Again, this isn't a conscious, deliberate conspiracy, it's culture.

If you don't think the ethos in america is "you can do anything you choose to with willpower, hard work and determination," I suggest you talk to more people than your insulated, upper middle class cadre of liberal buddies.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #65
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

as soon as i started taking prozac i had to endure weird looks and "holy shit! really!??!" from co-workers and "friends" as well as a few lectures about personal responsibility and willpower.
oh that is rich!!!! i love it!!!

Old 10-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #66
Trotskilicious
Banned

i think out of all those things the condescending look and "Holy shit dude!!?!?! REALLY!??!!" from the one person in the office other than me that is mentally ill was just about the worst.

why doesn't he get treatment? Well because it's all about willpower and he's not crazy every single other person in the universe is out to get him.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #67
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

it takes willpower to crawl over broken glass as well but what's the point.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #68
Trotskilicious
Banned

it's just weird how much actual evidence we have that we're not even really in control of our bodies but human consciousness deceives us into thinking we have control over the inner universe.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #69
Duke1497
Ownz

Yes, I suffer from depression and anxiety. My now deceased father was also severely bipolar.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #70
Eulogy
huh

Quote:

You realize almost all your posts are little more than exteapolations of your personal history to the entire universe, right? You just think your experiences are more valid for whatever reason. Maybe they are. I dunno.

And you really don't know very much about all the people I interact with. Especially the ones who take meds for mental health problems. So.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #71
Trotskilicious
Banned

i was just providing a counterpoint that disproved your entire concept that "this generation doesn't see drugs as weakness"

Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #72
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

ppl are just trying to make rottenugly unable to see the forest for all the trees. me and trotskillicious are showing him the forest. why they do this i don't know. they must be the devil.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #73
Trotskilicious
Banned

well if i thought rottenugly was a real person and not a karl connor troll

Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #74
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

he's real, all those videos of a fourteen year old filming himself in a basement talking like he posts pretty much confirms it for me.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #75
Trotskilicious
Banned

i wonder if he's austrian

Old 10-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #76
Trotskilicious
Banned

i hear they like to keep children in basements over there

Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #77
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
i was just providing a counterpoint that disproved your entire concept that "this generation doesn't see drugs as weakness"
This can be rebutted by simply pointing out the number of people taking these meds.

But that's not as reliable as the looks your coworkers gave you I guess?

Yes, some people are ignorant dicks about it, as is the case with basically everything. But is there some overwhelming cultural disapproval of medications?? People are taking more than ever before. I don't get how you can really make your claims here.

But again, yes, some people will obviously still suck.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #78
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
This can be rebutted by simply pointing out the number of people taking these meds.
Incorrect.

Quote:
Yes, some people are ignorant dicks about it, as is the case with basically everything. But is there some overwhelming cultural disapproval of medications?? People are taking more than ever before.
Here's an example. More americans are fat than ever before. Does that mean america loves and accepts fat people? God no.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #79
Trotskilicious
Banned

it's like chris christie being unelectable because he's too fat in a nation of fat people

tabloids selling mags about kim kardashian's disgusting, out of control cellulite to overweight pearshaped women

it doesn't make logical sense but then again human behavior rarely does

Old 10-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #80
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
it's like chris christie being unelectable because he's too fat in a nation of fat people

tabloids selling mags about kim kardashian's disgusting, out of control cellulite to overweight pearshaped women

it doesn't make logical sense but then again human behavior rarely does
I think the Christie thing is a myth perpetrated by an image obsessed media but I see what you're saying.

And yeah everyone is image obsessed to a point but I bet a fat dude could get elected now.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #81
bahnzah
Apocalyptic Poster

i think you're mischaracterizing my viewpoint. you know i'm totally not a bootstraps kind of guy. there is no shame in taking medication to treat these issues. but a counselor is certainly going to know if your issue lies outside of the scope of their expertise. and in my opinion that is a pretty logical way to minimize the administration of unnecessary meds.

a medical doctor is only going to be looking at records pertaining to your physiological history and won't know diddly about cognitive behavioral therapy. i would also say that if rottenugly really is a 14 year old kid, there is not much to go by as far as a history of chemical dependency and therefore a medical doctor might miss some red flags that would be obvious to a lmhc.

that's all i'm saying.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #82
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

lol at the notion that a counselor certainly will know if an issue lies within or outside their expertice. one might want to continue with therapy without medication for their own egos sake while another might be giving up too quick and immediately send a person to a psychiatrist.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #83
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
I think the Christie thing is a myth perpetrated by an image obsessed media but I see what you're saying.

And yeah everyone is image obsessed to a point but I bet a fat dude could get elected now.
i completely disagree

people view fatness as a character flaw and they would hammer away at that without explicitly, directly making fun of his weight. Leno, Letterman and O'Brien will do the cheap shots for them.

being fat is unelectable period. Bill Clinton wasn't even really close to being as porky as Christie is and he was continuously lampooned for being a fat ass.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #84
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

also anti-depressants doesn't cause chemical dependancy, you're confusing these with anti-anxiety drugs like xanax.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #85
bahnzah
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_r_koontz View Post
lol at the notion that a counselor certainly will know if an issue lies within or outside their expertice. one might want to continue with therapy without medication for their own egos sake while another might be giving up too quick and immediately send a person to a psychiatrist.

it's not exactly like therapists are scrambling for your copay. everyone i try to schedule with is booked solid for the next month.

but i see what you mean.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #86
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

with that said there's not much to be lost by trying a newer kind of anti-depressant. the most probably worst case scenario is that there's no effect at all.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #87
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahnzah View Post
i think you're mischaracterizing my viewpoint. you know i'm totally not a bootstraps kind of guy. there is no shame in taking medication to treat these issues. but a counselor is certainly going to know if your issue lies outside of the scope of their expertise. and in my opinion that is a pretty logical way to minimize the administration of unnecessary meds.

a medical doctor is only going to be looking at records pertaining to your physiological history and won't know diddly about cognitive behavioral therapy. i would also say that if rottenugly really is a 14 year old kid, there is not much to go by as far as a history of chemical dependency and therefore a medical doctor might miss some red flags that would be obvious to a lmhc.

that's all i'm saying.
i just grow weary of junior psychologists spreading this "medication is handed out like candy" myth that makes people taking meds feel bad or w/e.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #88
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

Quote:
How do you know that?

The only reason you'd think that is because you have no concept of what bipolar disorder is.
I think that because I've seen it happen.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #89
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

yeah i'm sick of it too, it's like, why is this even brought up in a thread like this. these pills are generally not very intrusive. if you took a healthy person from the street and gave them some wellbutrin, they'd most likely feel no different from before they took the medication, they could quit without any problems and they would at worst get a dry mouth or have a bit harder time taking a dump during the treatment. it's better that these medications are overpresribed than under prescribed.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #90
bahnzah
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
i just grow weary of junior psychologists spreading this "medication is handed out like candy" myth that makes people taking meds feel bad or w/e.
i know. it's a bummer man.