Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 05-26-2020, 11:49 PM   #31
paranoid
Minion of Satan

You guys do realize that this is how musicians generally talk about and amongst each other, right? There’s nothing unusual about this when you take it out of the bolly is a control freak narrative. Also, jimmy has echoed these same sentiments over the past 20 years as well, and I don’t think that was to kiss Billy’s ass. Jimmy knows his worth, and it’s insulting to his talent and contribution to say otherwise.

Ridiculous cherry picked argument thread, and tbh I’m tired of this discussion. I feel like they’ve all grown up in a lot of ways over the past 4 or so years so it’s be better to just bury this already.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:03 AM   #32
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I don't know. I have to respectfully disagree. Of course this is just a Bill comment on a quarantine podcast, and there's no way it will impact the band in any way. The thread certainly wasn't made to start a riot or anything. It's just, for me at least, it's truly unbelievable that a band that's all about the guitars somehow has a hard time acknowledging one of the guitar players who had a big part in making that sound.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:41 AM   #33
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
I don't know. I have to respectfully disagree. Of course this is just a Bill comment on a quarantine podcast, and there's no way it will impact the band in any way. The thread certainly wasn't made to start a riot or anything. It's just, for me at least, it's truly unbelievable that a band that's all about the guitars somehow has a hard time acknowledging one of the guitar players who had a big part in making that sound.
james is getting acknowledged here in a big way. Billy has basically said his stance on james' guitar playing the past 15 or so years before he came back was more or less ignorant and he sees the light now.

and keep in mind he said ''technically good in a traditional sense.'' and he's right. james is not a player i'd expect to be able to shred some of the most common guitar solos you hear most guitar players noodle on. but it doesn't make him a bad guitarist or musician.. his creative abilities and contributions to the band are obvious and i think BC is fully recognizing that here.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:43 AM   #34
paranoid
Minion of Satan

and on the darcy front, yeah he fucking hates her now and has more or less wiped her image out of the band, but he has stated in the past that she brought a balanced sound to the band that he hasn't been able to replace. of course this is all before reunion gate 2018 :/ he's pissed at her now so who knows if and when they'll be back on good terms.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:16 AM   #35
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
Christ. Who gives a shit
/

Old 05-28-2020, 06:49 AM   #36
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Long term, true, fans who've stayed true and carry the name might recall that "back in the day" it was quite widely believed/assumed that James was the main / lead guitarist. He got a tonne of credit.

So reviewers would mention an excellent guitar solo from James Iha and interviewers would say things to WPC like "Your lead guitarist *checks notes* James Eye Ha is truly an exceptional talent".

The whole "narrative" of James being a bad guitarist who didn't do anything is because WPC took great offense to this. Rather than simply correcting people and saying "actually, I played that solo" he engaged in a years long campaign of press-warfare against his own friend and bandmate to make it absolutely clear that he wrote+played absolutely everything, and that James Iha was simply a prop.

And this was before the breakup and before James was the worst piece of shit he ever met.!

The whole of SP1 was "it's all me me me me me" and most of SP2 was "it's all me me me and by the way James Iha is a piece of shit". Given the backstory this is an absolutely huge and complimentary thing for WPC to say. I can only conclude that he's genuinely grown as a person and matured as an artist. This bodes very well indeed for Shiny and Oh So Bright v2. I predict that it's going to be their best album yet!

Old 05-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #37
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
You guys do realize that this is how musicians generally talk about and amongst each other, right? There’s nothing unusual about this when you take it out of the bolly is a control freak narrative. Also, jimmy has echoed these same sentiments over the past 20 years as well, and I don’t think that was to kiss Billy’s ass. Jimmy knows his worth, and it’s insulting to his talent and contribution to say otherwise.

Ridiculous cherry picked argument thread, and tbh I’m tired of this discussion. I feel like they’ve all grown up in a lot of ways over the past 4 or so years so it’s be better to just bury this already.
If Billy had “grown up”, D’Arcy would be in the band.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:06 AM   #38
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

which would mean no Jack Bates and where would that leave us?

Old 05-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #39
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
If Billy had “grown up”, D’Arcy would be in the band.
That would require D'arcy to grow up, clean up and level up past the level of Jack Bates (the peoples choice)

Old 05-28-2020, 11:15 AM   #40
Ram27
dumb

although he was definitely being shitty to d'arcy, i understand his reservations if she hadn't been involved in music for like 20 years and had the most recent substance abuse problems

Old 05-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #41
FoolofaTook

i don't think anyone's arguing that she isn't massively fucked up. it's the way bilborg has deal with it (treating her like shit) that sucks.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #42
FoolofaTook

oh wait we just said the same thing

Old 06-04-2020, 06:10 AM   #43
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Anyone who would invite a crack girl, or a woman who has severe mental probs and hasn´t played professionally for the last 20 years, is an idiot. SHe looks like an alien with all the wrong gone face lifting. Hell yeah..... hope she is happy on her farm milking her cows and her well behaved friend.

I totally understand bollys decision not inviting her. How he did it is another topic.

Honestly it wouldnt have made any difference (musicwise) if she had been invited.
Maybe for the

Old 06-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #44
buzzard
Minion of Satan

It really shows that you've spent the last two years coming at the story from all angles.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #45
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Maybe for the
well don't leave us hanging

Old 06-04-2020, 09:33 AM   #46
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote: