Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2014, 03:13 AM   #61
Elphenor
Braindead

Yeah, idk, if the word "guitarist" implies being good or professional. But if it does, that's not what I am or most people who learn to play are.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:15 AM   #62
Elphenor
Braindead

Mostly there's just a really uplifting feeling playing music can give you. Like any art hobby I guess

Old 05-11-2014, 03:22 AM   #63
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
everyone you know hates you jsyk

Seriously.

No offense to Elphenor, but generally the guy who plays guitar at parties only ever knows a few basic open chords (campfire chords) and is playing an acoustic. i don't think acoustic guitar should exist. Ok, no, but i think you should need a license and to get it you have to absolutely swear you will not play around campfires and such and never ever try to write folk music (folk is fine, modern folk isn't) or become some sort of coffee shop singer-songwriter. I have an acoustic just because i felt i should. I touch it about once a year for 5 minutes. It automatically makes everything you want to play sound fucking lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Semantics, but to me it's like people who say "write a book." Just need the right attitude, and you can learn it". Publishing some writing isn't being an author.
Yes it is. You can be a bad writer or a good writer, but as Stephen King says in On Writing (seriously it's a good book for aspiring writers) if someone gave you some money for something you wrote, you're a writer. What? do you have to be critically acclaimed too before you can claim to be a writer?

It's the same with music in a way. I mean sure the casual guitar player that strums a few basic chords once in a while at parties is probably not a guitarist, but i've heard this argument before that oh you don't know theory or you can't play every single style, or you can't solo for shit, or you haven't been paid for any music you've made, you're not really a musician. Last i checked a musician was someone who makes music. You can be a bad musician or a good musician. You can be a pro or an amateur, but you play music, you're a musician. For years i woudn't dare call myself a musician, i felt it was pretentious or something, until i realised you know what fuck it, i've been doing music in one form or another for 18 years, i may have written mediocre music, that's not for me to say, but some of it is not worse than some who have made a living doing it and went around calling themselves musicians.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:32 AM   #64
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

We won't agree there.
I don't call someone who self-published their writing online and is bad at it an author. They write.
As I don't call everybody in a band a musician - they make music.

And this "yo play guitar chicks love it" is just... if that's the main reason to learn an instrument and I can spot it, I'll be the cunt who silently laughs at you.

As for your opinion on acoustic guitars - that's pretty close to mine on "writers." Apply your reasoning of needing a license to punish people with acoustic guitar to book publishing.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:33 AM   #65
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Learning to play guitar was literally the greatest decision I ever made.

At almost every party I go to there's a point where everybody is sitting around me watching me play.
And that kind of attention is perfect for getting whatever attractive girl you're after or whatever.
you play guitar to get attention, shit man

Old 05-11-2014, 03:34 AM   #66
I'm Hardcore
Banned

those people at parties probably just want you to bust out a Jack Johnson tune, and there is nothing attractive about that

Old 05-11-2014, 03:35 AM   #67
Elphenor
Braindead

Lol.
Acoustic guitar sounds great as long as you aren't playing bad folk music.
I play like Syd Barrett covers. Or Cure covers or even Pumpkins.

I don't even like being called a musician, I only started playing guitar because I wanted to yell my lame poetry at people and it was hard to find people who would take me seriously enough in a band if I didn't play guitar.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:36 AM   #68
null123
Minion of Satan

it signifies chillness, the most attractive trait in the 21st century

Old 05-11-2014, 03:36 AM   #69
Elphenor
Braindead

And nobody under 50 reads poetry anymore

Old 05-11-2014, 03:37 AM   #70
I'm Hardcore
Banned

i would say that maybe 1 out of every 300 people at parties would know who Syd Barrett is. i don't like your reasoning at all buddy

Old 05-11-2014, 03:38 AM   #71
null123
Minion of Satan

really chill dudes who wear sandals

Old 05-11-2014, 03:43 AM   #72
D.
Consume my pants.

sandalbros

Old 05-11-2014, 03:43 AM   #73
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore View Post
i would say that maybe 1 out of every 300 people at parties would know who Syd Barrett is. i don't like your reasoning at all buddy
It doesn't really matter if they know who he is. And the one person who does is the person you want to hang with anyway.

And I play guitar mostly just because I love music. I'd rather play or listen to music than talk to people usually.
The attention is really just a side affect.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:44 AM   #74
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
We won't agree there.
I don't call someone who self-published their writing online and is bad at it an author. They write.
As I don't call everybody in a band a musician - they make music.

And this "yo play guitar chicks love it" is just... if that's the main reason to learn an instrument and I can spot it, I'll be the cunt who silently laughs at you.

Yeah. Personally I stated playing because it made me jealous that I wasn't the one creating music that moved people. Sure at one point you do consider the notion that it MIGHT be attractive to girls, but i never ever thought man if i write a good song, or if i learn to play this, girls will really dig me. usually people who think like that end up in bands where the bandleader tells them what to play and they rarely play that well (though one must not underestimate the length some guys are willing to go to impress girls...) OR they play in just cover bands.

I mean there's probably somewhere where i draw a line for what constitutes a musician but i'm very lenient. For example i've known people who were in noise bands...hard for me to call these guys musicians. They randomly hit their instruments.... But you know, i dont know, Kurt Cobain to pick the cliche common example of a mediocre guitar player, he was a musician in my mind. And a guitarist too for that matter. Just because he couldn't shred it or play various styles doesn't make him not a musician. Making music IS being a musician.

Maybe you need to differentiate between trained or skilled musician and just musician then.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:45 AM   #75
Elphenor
Braindead

I hate sandals.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:45 AM   #76
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
It doesn't really matter if they know who he is. And the one person who does is the person you want to hang with anyway.

And I play guitar mostly just because I love music. I'd rather play or listen to music than talk to people usually.
The attention is really just a side affect.
i'm just tugging yer cock

Old 05-11-2014, 03:47 AM   #77
Elphenor
Braindead

"Musicians" make the most boring music.
Give me a hurting poet who only knows 3 chords over a shredder anyday

Old 05-11-2014, 03:48 AM   #78
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
i'm just tugging yer cock
Fuck. I gotta be less defensive.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:50 AM   #79
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
you play guitar to get attention, shit man
But he's 19? and shy around people, especially girls (at least that's my impression.)
Not so unusual, or is it?

I meant I'll laugh at guys who obviously only play guitar to get laid, and do that when they're 10 and 15 years older, around people the same age.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:54 AM   #80
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
"Musicians" make the most boring music.
Give me a hurting poet who only knows 3 chords over a shredder anyday
You don't have to hurt to make good music. I mean sure most of my life i thought the main point of music was to make me feel even more miserable but the fact is, there's some really great songs that are not about suffering. Well....or sometimes they kinda are but delivered in some sort of more...cheery upbeat format. I think my favorite sentiment to be expressed in songs is melancholy more than pain.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:56 AM   #81
Elphenor
Braindead

I don't like those bearded dudes with sandals who play guitar.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:56 AM   #82
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
But he's 19? and shy around people, especially girls (at least that's my impression.)
Not so unusual, or is it?

I meant I'll laugh at guys who obviously only play guitar to get laid, and do that when they're 10 and 15 years older, around people the same age.
generally it's the bro dudes who do this

Old 05-11-2014, 03:58 AM   #83
Elphenor
Braindead

Im a really gothy dude or a dress shirt and Tie wearing guitarist.

I would never ever wear sandals.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:02 AM   #84
pavementtune

Quote:
Maybe you need to differentiate between trained or skilled musician and just musician then.
Hm. Maybe, I don't know where exactly I draw the line.
Kurt Cobain - sure, musician. Guitarist, yes. GOOD guitarist - no.
Nickelback, musicians. Bad ones.
Guy xy who bleeds music but makes a living by delivering the mail - musician at heart. Or something. I use it subjectively. Obviously.

Self-proclaimed 'authors' is just something I'm allergic to.
Self-proclaimed anythings, really. Don't call yourself a musician before others do it, I think that sums up my view.

Last edited by pavementtune : 05-11-2014 at 04:08 AM.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:07 AM   #85
Elphenor
Braindead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaGR...e_gdata_player

This totally works around a campfire with a bunch of drunk and stoned people

Old 05-11-2014, 04:22 AM   #86
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

goddamn kids

Old 05-11-2014, 04:32 AM   #87
Elphenor
Braindead

I try to play "Dark Globe" (it's my favorite) but it just ends in an awkward outpouring of tears.
"WONT YOU MISS ME
WOULDNT YOU MISS ME AT ALL?"

Just Brutal...

Old 05-11-2014, 04:41 AM   #88
Trotskilicious
Banned

isn't that the one from the video game commercial

Old 05-11-2014, 04:46 AM   #89
pavementtune

I love everything about this, acoustic and campfire (and wasted.)
Lame to the boy exploding, but they do carry a license.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:55 AM   #90
Trotskilicious
Banned

mkargin