Just Hook it to My Veins!

nof-x

Old 09-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #32
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Placebo
now there are at least two of us on here!
I've been living in Ireland for the last 3 years or so, I am mesmerized that lots of people here have no idea of who Glen Hansard is...

BTW, i actually like Angus & Julia Stone too

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
margot and the nuclear so and sos
And them too

Old 09-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #33
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
I own a ton of black band tees though so I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I was getting way into ddg and had no idea what they looked like. I actually assumed they were portly northwest girls who may be bikers and wear fake mustaches to the bar. I was glad to be wrong. They're all fucking beauties. But really, I'd still like the music if they were pygmy mutants.
i told my friend something similar as the last line "even if they had cthulu heads"

Old 09-29-2015, 02:55 PM   #34
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

sorry but i can't get into music made by females unless i want to fuck them.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:03 PM   #35
Trotskilicious
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Trots a lot of "my peers" identify with cultures not of their time

The Internet is cool
same here, its always sad and dumb because whatever gauzy historiography you created has zero connection to reality. from my friends who are pretending theyre in The Band cierca 1971 or the guy who thinks the 50s were the golden bestest time of all ever to fuzzyroes who has created a grungetarded rut for himself. its all sad, join the NOW its yours.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:47 PM   #36
Trotskilicious
Banned

oh yeah and most importantly its the antithesis of punk fucking rock

Old 09-29-2015, 04:55 PM   #37
redbreegull

everything belongs to everyone

Old 09-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #38
Trotskilicious
Banned

hisrory does not, dude

Old 09-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #39
Trotskilicious
Banned

would you say white people doing rain dancing is ok? everything belongs to everyone after all

Old 09-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #40
Trotskilicious
Banned

the most important thing is that elph belives he belongs to a sub culture that didnt exist. mark e smith, siouxie and robert smith dont call themselves "post punkers" nobody does, its not a thing

its like if i started calling myself a postrocker

Old 09-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #41
redbreegull

Certainly it's easy to point to very clear examples of people disrespectfully co-opting something from someone else's culture, like as a costume or in mockery... but in general I think the dialogue our society is adopting is that all cultural transference is appropriation, which sorry, but in my opinion is completely stupid and historically blind to what the fuck a culture even is and how it comes to be.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #42
Elphenor
Braindead

No they wouldn't call themselves post punk or Goth or indie or anything because those terms were invented in retrospect to describe them

Old 09-29-2015, 05:49 PM   #43
Elphenor
Braindead

I have no regional identity and I grew up on the internet, I never belonged to a culture to begin with

Old 09-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #44
redbreegull

I mean Trots is correct even in such a trivial instance, it looks stupid for someone to personally identify with something they were not a part of, but we all are more seriously guilty of this in many day-to-day ways than elphenor thinking he is a "post-punker" or whatever.

Identities are passed and adopted in a lot of really complicated ways I guess, and there are a lot of "thin lines" around identification. We live in an interesting time because with the advent of the internet, it seems as if popular culture has stopped moving linearly, and has compartmentalized into a billion tiny niches, each one a reference to some cultural occurrence (mostly from the post-WWII era). I had a professor in school who used to talk a lot about how for most of the "modern era" young people essentially had a few different "uniforms" or subcultures/cultural niches to choose from, all of which were temporarily and geographically immediate. Now, a classroom full of young people is just as likely to contain a person who has listened to the entire Johnny Cash discography or is a silent movie buff, or dresses like a greaser than it is to contain kids whose cultural interests are limited to the present and the immediate.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #45
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Certainly it's easy to point to very clear examples of people disrespectfully co-opting something from someone else's culture, like as a costume or in mockery... but in general I think the dialogue our society is adopting is that all cultural transference is appropriation, which sorry, but in my opinion is completely stupid and historically blind to what the fuck a culture even is and how it comes to be.
i dont think its the position we're taking, i think its the poisonous attitude of college kids these days. they practically demanding racial segregation and balkanization. making "melting pot" non pc fir one thing. all culture everywhere ever is made up of a stew of other cultural elements. all human migration ends up co-opting and destroying "pure" culture. its a stupid position propelled by deranged radical philosophers, disingenuous concern trolls like mayfuck, and college aged children having slap fights on twitter.

we have special racial considerations in america ofc but balkanization is not an option. before long these din******s will be cl******g for separate but equal and/or homeland segregation

Old 09-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #46
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
No they wouldn't call themselves post punk or Goth or indie or anything because those terms were invented in retrospect to describe them
post punk was a term invented to describe music

Old 09-29-2015, 06:09 PM   #47
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i dont think its the position we're taking, i think its the poisonous attitude of college kids these days. they practically demanding racial segregation and balkanization. making "melting pot" non pc fir one thing. all culture everywhere ever is made up of a stew of other cultural elements. all human migration ends up co-opting and destroying "pure" culture. its a stupid position propelled by deranged radical philosophers, disingenuous concern trolls like mayfuck, and college aged children having slap fights on twitter.

we have special racial considerations in america ofc but balkanization is not an option. before long these din******s will be cl******g for separate but equal and/or homeland segregation
well, yeah, I actually agree with this totally. It is difficult to express though, because especially as a white person, to espouse such an opinion is increasingly looked at as just being racist and latently enforcing white supremacism.

I saw an article the other day calling for Jews to reverse their integration into white culture in the US, and to start just identifying as Jews again, to help undo white supremacy. This makes less than zero sense to me, especially in light of the contemporary intellectual understanding that race as culture is something inescapable, that it is defined primarily by privilege and oppression (hence why no white person can identify as black no matter how immersed in the culture that person is). If this is so, how can people who look white, who have been treated as white, who have enjoyed white privilege to the fullest extent and in many ways as a group far exceeded mainstream white Christian socioeconomic success... how can a group like this choose to not be white? I know there are many different voices and opinions in this discussion and I am not really being fair by lumping a bunch of them together and then pitting them against each other, but it can be quite hard to figure out. It sometimes does make me feel like many of these people are just insulating their own identities as "good whites" or "allies" while propagating a bunch of ideologies that have no consistency and ultimately are not doing anything to make white people less racist or to elevate non-white status.

Last edited by redbreegull : 09-29-2015 at 06:18 PM.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #48
slunken
Virgo

Quote:

its like if i started calling myself a postrocker
or victorian

Old 09-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #49
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
well, yeah, I actually agree with this totally. It is difficult to express though, because especially as a white person, to espouse such an opinion is increasingly looked at as just being racist and latently enforcing white supremacism.

I saw an article the other day calling for Jews to reverse their integration into white culture in the US, and to start just identifying as Jews again, to help undo white supremacy. This makes less than zero sense to me, especially in light of the contemporary intellectual understanding that race as culture is something inescapable, that it is defined primarily by privilege and oppression (hence why no white person can identify as black no matter how immersed in the culture that person is). If this is so, how can people who look white, who have been treated as white, who have enjoyed white privilege to the fullest extent and in many ways as a group far exceeded mainstream white Christian socioeconomic success... how can a group like this choose to not be white? I know there are many different voices and opinions in this discussion and I am not really being fair by lumping a bunch of them together and then pitting them against each other, but it can be quite hard to figure out. It sometimes does make me feel like many of these people are just insulating their own identities as "good whites" or "allies" while propagating a bunch of ideologies that have no consistency and ultimately are not doing anything to make white people less racist or to elevate non-white status.
internet publishes junk like that because clicks and comments drive revenue. that kind of radicalism really does much more harm than good

im sure most if not all jews think this person is retarded and further if that holds true then logically i should be able to separate from whiteness on account of being irish, whic is ultimately england's first stab at colonialist oppression. well the welsh and scots too perhaps.

im a little of a bunch of stuff, my fams, my heritage, my regional identity. ideally, and i feel this is true for myself, everyone should be mixing and interacting with each other and enjoying the richness of everyones cultures and forging a united identity

but that dont drive clicks n comments do it

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 09-29-2015 at 08:01 PM.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #50
redbreegull

Quote:
internet publishes junk like that because clicks and comments

im sure most if not all jews think this person is retarded and further if that holds true then logically i should be able to separate from whiteness on account of being irish, whic is ultimately england's first stab at colonialist oppression. well the welsh and scots too perhaps.
right, exactly, it makes no sense. The thing is that this was an opinion piece in a national newspaper, it was written by a prominent rabbi, and the person who posted it is a former coworker who I generally think pretty highly of in terms of her social/political views. I just don't get how something like this make sense to people though, and this kind of let's smash white supremacy fervor has a serious hold over not just college kids but over academia and intellectual thought on race in general. Don't get me wrong, I hate white supremacy, and I do think we live in a white supremacist society, and I do believe that cultural co-opting is a real thing used to devalue non-white cultures. But the lengths to which many of these concepts and arguments are taken by "social justice warriors" today makes them totally senseless, and the attitude almost seems to be, "Fuck logic and intellectual questioning, it's time to DO something!" I'm not sure if it is indicative of something bigger or if it just the people I am exposed to, but over the last few years I have definitely perceived socially left america become more irrational and more extreme, and almost building a Fox News-esque echo chamber in their discourse.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #51
redbreegull

which is miserable to watch because racists are also becoming more extreme and bold in their actions and words, and there are so many important things that need to be said and done to fight white supremacy, but what people want to talk about is how Miley Cyrus twerking on Robin Thicke is the nadir of the black experience in america

Old 09-29-2015, 08:01 PM   #52
Trotskilicious
Banned

AND IM WHITE STRAIGHTISH MAN SO STFU

kinda ok with SingTFU at this time of my life

Old 09-29-2015, 08:02 PM   #53
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
which is miserable to watch because racists are also becoming more extreme and bold in their actions and words, and there are so many important things that need to be said and done to fight white supremacy, but what people want to talk about is how Miley Cyrus twerking on Robin Thicke is the nadir of the black experience in america
its the internet, it sucks

Old 09-29-2015, 08:07 PM   #54
Trotskilicious
Banned

and i think the society is racially stratified and we spent way too much congratulating ourselves on the 60s but white supremacy is strong words. this isnt apartheid or jim crow.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #55
redbreegull

Quote:
and i think the society is racially stratified and we spent way too much congratulating ourselves on the 60s but white supremacy is strong words. this isnt apartheid or jim crow.
it is strong but I think it's still accurate. America and much of the West was built on top of the institution of black slavery, which didn't end until 150 years ago. Segregation didn't disappear from public spaces in some places in the US until the 1970s. I don't think the system of white supremacy has disappeared. We've rooted out some of the most obvious, surface level manifestations (don't get me wrong it is progress), but many of the underlying structures that hold black people back have not changed, or have just been replaced by different mechanisms. One party in the US is still officially for voter ID laws, we have a drug war and crime policy which just in general targets non-whites and an unassailable prison industry that profits from it.

tldr: personally as long as white people hold a superlative place in society and they as individuals or institutions fight to maintain that, I don't think it is unfair to say that is a white supremacist culture.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #56
slunken
Virgo

jessamine

Old 09-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #57
run2pee
Minion of Satan

He'll yeah wipers! Haven't listened to them in too long. Is it true dude insisted on pressing his own vinyl b/c didn't trust anyone else to do it right? How the fuck does anyone have time to learn to press vinyl and also write/record? I can barely find time to write a bassline to a song I've had on the workbench for two years.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #58
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

SP

Old 03-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #59
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

But srsly, for me it is (was) The Mountain Goats. For years, nobody I knew IRL knew them or could stand them when I played them. When I first met the lady who is now my ladyfriend about five years ago, it was the first time I had ever bumped into a real, flesh and blood fan of TMG.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #60
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Trots a lot of "my peers" identify with cultures not of their time

The Internet is cool
i've come to find this is true and its sad & dumb its like culture is on hold

edit oh i already covered it, pretty much every white kid under 24 and under doesn't have their own culture tho & i've come to realize almost all new bands sound exactly like an old & obscure band

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 03-19-2017 at 05:42 PM.