Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #121
phang
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
I can't decide if the Corgan death stare is "Mike I can't believe you like this shit, god damn ADD millennial generation" or "oh, is this what's cool with the kids? can I play latin funk rock? screw it I'll just say I've made a latin album but that it's on the shelf next to such other masterpieces as day for night, my botched machina reissue and siddharthas bonus tracks"

Old 02-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #122
HerVelvetSpleen
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
. I'll never understand some of the enthusiasm that was prevalent around the fan communities for that particular touring lineup.
Billy is so adverse to criticism that he absolutely doesn't tolerate it. His fanboys just agree with everything he says. If Billy says that James and D'arcy sucked and are 100% replaceable, then of course he's right. If Billy says that finding somebody to play Jimmy's parts is as easy as walking into McDonald's, then you have to believe him. The enthusiasm was just people who lack critical thinking skills regurgitating Billy's propaganda.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:51 AM   #123
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
His fanboys just agree with everything he says
no. we're fans here and we take no issue saying his decisions are shitty.
fuck you jeff, please quit the band and begone like mike.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:45 AM   #124
HerVelvetSpleen
Pledge

I draw a distinction between Smashing Pumpkins fans and "fanboys" (and girls). I'm a fan. They were basically my whole life when I was younger. I still love Billy I just stopped praying at his altar years ago. That's...why I joined here?

Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #125
whywontyoulistn
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerVelvetSpleen View Post
I draw a distinction between Smashing Pumpkins fans and "fanboys" (and girls). I'm a fan. They were basically my whole life when I was younger. I still love Billy I just stopped praying at his altar years ago. That's...why I joined here?
https://elevationshealth.com/wp-cont...up-therapy.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post
Honestly Netphoria is like group therapy for former fans.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #126
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

At the end of it all, I feel bad for Byrne. He clearly was not ready for the strain of touring working with Billy. The kid got progressively worse each tour (when you watch some of the 2010 shows, it felt like he was "almost there" with Jimmy's stuff), aged about 15 years during his time in the band, and has not been involved in music since.

As for Jeff, my only hope is that maybe he will restrain his tasteless noodling if Billy really wants to stick close to the albums. When the band first started playing again in 2007, Jeff did an excellent job recreating Iha's parts. Things just got bad once Billy let Jeff start playing original guitar parts.

Byrne in 2009

http://media.oregonlive.com/ent_impa...f523_large.jpg

Byrne in 2013

http://mydrumlessons.co.uk/wp-conten...ne-600x360.jpg

Old 02-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #127
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by phang View Post
I can't decide if the Corgan death stare is "Mike I can't believe you like this shit, god damn ADD millennial generation" or "oh, is this what's cool with the kids? can I play latin funk rock? screw it I'll just say I've made a latin album but that it's on the shelf next to such other masterpieces as day for night, my botched machina reissue and siddharthas bonus tracks"
Billy and Mike remind me of when Melania Trump pretends to smile whenever Dona;d Trump turns to look at her. Billy clearly could not give a shit less about the band, but when Byrne turns around to look at billy he pretends to enjoy.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #128
Ram27
dumb

Yeah I don't get how Mike sounded so good at those Record Store Day shows then started to play...well there are a ton of clips I could insert.

I keep reading that Corgan kept pushing him to play like Jimmy, but as time went on he sounded less like Jimmy, less like himself, and just bad in general

I feel bad for him. Imagine getting your dream job then having that happen. And he had to have cortisone shots to keep playing every night + soundcheck + VIP sessions + etc

Old 02-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #129
russticles
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
And he had to have cortisone shots to keep playing every night + soundcheck + VIP sessions + etc
Wait, what? Where'd you see/hear this?

Old 02-21-2018, 11:29 PM   #130
ava transformer
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
ATTN: INTERNET. I HAVE CHANGED MY OPINION ON MIKE BYRNE.

I have come to the conclusion that Mike is a great drummer, he just sucked at playing 90s alternative rock.

I love Bearcubbin' & I will rate this album in my top 5 of post SP members albums. Also when this came out they were couch surfing and stayed at my friend's place & Mike told us some Billy stuff.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:03 AM   #131
fuzzyroes
Banned

Nice, you actually got to chill with Mike when he was couch surfing?

He played a little hole in the wall out in Vancouver and I thought about going and maybe shooting the shit with him but I didn't bother. I was after all probably one of his loudest critics in the fan community.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:19 AM   #132
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ava transformer View Post
Also when this came out they were couch surfing and stayed at my friend's place & Mike told us some Billy stuff.
Do go on...

Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 AM   #133
JESUSNEEDSAHIT
Apocalyptic Poster

so many shit. opionons in all this threads. in seriously no wonder america has a mass shootings problems.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:10 AM   #134
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESUSNEEDSAHIT View Post
so many shit. opionons in all this threads. in seriously no wonder america has a mass shootings problems.
They are even shooting cows for fun...

Old 02-22-2018, 06:56 AM   #135
HerVelvetSpleen
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESUSNEEDSAHIT View Post
I'm trying to see/your use of punctuation/not quite a haiku

Old 02-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #136
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by russticles View Post
Wait, what? Where'd you see/hear this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionComplete View Post
Ok, here's what I know:

Mike's arms got all fucked up during the Oceania tour in 2012-13. He had to get cortisone shots and stuff to stop the pain and to be able to perform. It was crazy. They were playing for more than six hours every day. His wrists sounded like a cement truck.

NOBODY showed up on the overseas tour for Oceania which made Bill extra sour. I heard the word "rough" to describe how things were going from everyone in the band several times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Do go on...
+++ please

Old 02-22-2018, 09:36 AM   #137
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

poor kid. he just got the wrong gig.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:42 AM   #138
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Mike Byrne (from the audition video):

"I'm pretty heavy on like Latin..."

Old 02-25-2018, 08:43 PM   #139
bright_doom
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
At the end of it all, I feel bad for Byrne. He clearly was not ready for the strain of touring working with Billy. The kid got progressively worse each tour (when you watch some of the 2010 shows, it felt like he was "almost there" with Jimmy's stuff), aged about 15 years during his time in the band, and has not been involved in music since.
I feel so bad for Mike. I saw them live in 2010 as well and thought they were way better then when I saw them again in 2015 with Mark and Brad. I never saw the band live in between those years, but from what I've seen/heard, Mike was phoning it in in his last year, but I can completely understand why.

Mikes complete withdrawal from social media/playing in bands is kind of sad and I sincerely hope he hasn't got some kind of D'arcy-esque PTSD.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:02 PM   #140
SomaPhreak
Ownz

Default Poor Mike

Sure, Mike was in way over his head. The fact that Billy did not recognize that this would occur from the start is the real question.