Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2019, 10:38 PM   #541
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Purr snickety and cherry too

Old 11-16-2019, 10:57 PM   #542
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Why isn't he playing Spiteface??

Old 11-17-2019, 01:24 AM   #543
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Stroudsburg: Tonight’s was one of the best shows Billy has ever put on. His voice was amazing, no dropped consonants and little vibrato - like old times. He started show a little cold I felt — AJC came out, we sang happy birthday. Then halfway through the set there was a fight in the back. Show was stopped and as it settled down, someone yelled out “play beautiful” and another “rat in the cage”. Billy said last night show in Kentucky was awful, they ran him out of town, he had 9 hour drive to think about things and he realizes people get Caught up in the moment, but he’s not a jukebox. He spent weeks between recording two SP albums to put together a set list for his acoustic shows, and he would like to play the songs he wants to play for us, but it’s up to us if we want to hear them. It was very mature and heartfelt. Crowd cheered and encouraged him. Then he seemed to ease up, and lighten up with jokes and stories. Crowd was fantastic, standing ovation to start the show, a few times during after songs, and at end. Played purr snickety and cherry in acknowledgement of great crowd. You can tell he was hurt deeply by the disrespecting Kentucky crowd but he seemed redeemed by tonight’s crowd. I was very proud of the crowd, they really loved him, were quiet and very respectful and appreciative. Hardly any talking, shouts, outbursts etc. Seemed like true fans and long time fans - knew new songs, loud claps and yeahs with ogilala songs, and of course SP songs. I hope someone recorded it because it was an amazing show start to finish. Best I’ve seen of Billy and I’ve seen him a lot over past 25 years. I wish you all could have experienced it, it rekindled my love of SP and especially BC as a person and performer. I totally understand and get him , where he’s coming from and his demons. Someone was drunk and he called her out on it, towards the end of the show, said something about her not having manners. He said , “ Sure I was beaten as a kid, but I have manners. Obviously you weren’t beaten”. Which I for for one can sympathize with. He addressed the school shootings this week. It was just a heartfelt show and a mature show, which struck me odd after the poor reception last show. He almost seemed like he needed to heal , and this show and this crowd did just that. Set list was great. I was impressed wholeheartedly.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:27 AM   #544
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

No homo

Old 11-17-2019, 01:34 AM   #545
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Also, side note - there was a large guy up front, 300+ pounds, wearing a yellow “Camp Anawana” shirt, who looked exactly like Donkey Lips. No joke. Does anyone on here even know what I’m talking about? If you know, you know...

Old 11-17-2019, 02:18 AM   #546
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
He spent weeks between recording two SP albums to put together a set list for his acoustic shows, and he would like to play the songs he wants to play for us, but it’s up to us if we want to hear them. It was very mature and heartfelt.
Great review. Good summary here - wasn't at the show, but I know what you mean: I had a few similar moments in LA when he was just being truly, truly sincere.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:46 AM   #547
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Stroudsburg: Tonight’s was one of the best shows Billy has ever put on. His voice was amazing, no dropped consonants and little vibrato - like old times. He started show a little cold I felt — AJC came out, we sang happy birthday.

Quote:
Played purr snickety and cherry in acknowledgement of great crowd. You can tell he was hurt deeply by the disrespecting Kentucky crowd but he seemed redeemed by tonight’s crowd. I was very proud of the crowd, they really loved him, were quiet and very respectful and appreciative.

Quote:
I hope someone recorded it because it was an amazing show start to finish. Best I’ve seen of Billy and I’ve seen him a lot over past 25 years. I wish you all could have experienced it, it rekindled my love of SP and especially BC as a person and performer.

Last edited by amoergosum : 11-17-2019 at 04:25 AM.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:48 AM   #549
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

...his voice here sounds like Billy 2004.

Beautiful song.

2004:

Old 11-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #550
violetrayzzz
Oblivious Virgin

Who sat in front of me last night(stroudsburg)? We talked quite a bit and hung out in the smoking area. Was fantastic to hang out! Send me a message and let’s connect!!

Old 11-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #551
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Billy responded to these comments after the Sherman Theater show:

Old 11-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #552
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Also, side note - there was a large guy up front, 300+ pounds, wearing a yellow “Camp Anawana” shirt, who looked exactly like Donkey Lips. No joke. Does anyone on here even know what I’m talking about? If you know, you know...
Maybe it was him! What’s old donkey lips even been doing all these years....

Old 11-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #553
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Then halfway through the set there was a fight in the back. Show was stopped

>>>

Old 11-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #554
Whir34
Pledge

Had a ticket to the Stroudsburg show but decided to give it a miss as it was 9 hours travel time and now people raving about it. Ouch.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #555
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 11-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #556
tweedyburd
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I doubt security guards are gonna bother going into the crowd to to kick people out for yelling out between songs at a concert for a rock star

That would be some Axl Rose level shit
Point is, these are shows upon which parameters, requirements and basic riders have all been pre-determined by Billy and his management, just like any other tour. I don't disagree with your point, but if he's really so thin skinned/deeply bothered about these isolated outbursts, simply as a practical matter, he can either stipulate security remove them immediately, make sure that's stated explicitly on ticketing platforms so they're covered on that end with the audience, and if there are any issues with this agreement sorting the planning stages of the tour, he can simply not play those venues, or people can freely choose to spend their money and get kicked out for disrupting the show, if they wish.

This wouldn't totally fix the problem but at least it would be an actual attempt to solve the problem and mitigate his tired whining about something that is more within his control than he's leading everyone to believe. I once worked for a venue where Lou Reed demanded (among other ridiculous things) the alcohol serving area be totally out of his sight, so we shut down the main bar and moved the serving area to the back. Venues will accommodate talent that's selling out their space with high dollar tickets. Maybe Billy didn't carry that weight anymore but I can pretty much gurantee that he has made zero effort to address these issues with the venues in his agreements.

It's absolutely primadona, Axl Rose territory but who do you think we're talking about here, anyway?

Old 11-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #557
Ramdust
Apocalyptic Poster

Arrived into Stroudsburg around 3:00 and stopped in a few bars for some beers, but didn't see too many fans- certainly nobody that mentioned Netphoria. (There were a few people with Sad Machines shirts on, but I'm not even familiar with that community) I didn't spend too much time walking around town as it was cold as fuck.

The venue was nice and small and we had pretty good seats around the 5th or 6th row. I was glad there was no opener and Billy promptly walked out just around 8:00. As others have mentioned, he was simply on point. I liked most of the new songs from the first set (I forget which one but there were some sweet leads/licks in one) but noticed right away his voice was excellent.

After the disastrous previous show, he really seemed to be in good spirits and it made for an overall wonderful show. I met a couple who were from Boston that started talking to me about my shirt (devil/mission to mars) so we struck up conversation. Luckily I ran into them again outside at the set break and they smoked me up so for that, I was very grateful, though they indicated they weren't on Netphoria much, however the guy said he was friends with Juliana.

Second set was spectacular and just hearing Cherry was worth the price of admission. Of course there was the "fight" in the back that stopped the show and they turned the lights on. That was pretty unusual, and just before it happened I was thinking to myself how quiet and respectful that crowd had been so far. It figured something strange had to go down, but Billy took it in stride and it didn't seem to affect his performance. Purrsnickety was also great and a rare-ish treat.

Afterwards it was even colder outside, so I had zero interest in waiting out back to see if Billy came out to say hi. It just wasn't worth waiting in the cold. Guess I'm getting old.

Overall, it was definitely the best I've heard him sing in the 20 or so shows I've seen. Definitely a top 3 favorite show for me. Not sure why he chose Stroudsburg, but the planets aligned and it was just a great great show.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #558
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 11-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #559
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

These performances are unreal. Wish the man would spread these out a little and hit the NW and SE more.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #560
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 11-18-2019, 06:52 AM   #561
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

...just saw this on Reddit:

Quote:
For fun.. here is how Jeff Tweedy dealt with talkers during one of his solo acoustic tours

Old 11-19-2019, 03:27 AM   #562
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 11-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #563
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Reddit:

Quote:
Awesome show but what was up with Billys wife coming out at the end to sing Silvery Sometimes with him? That was kinda awkward tbh. She didn't know the words and her tablet or whatever wasn't working so she kind of just stood there awkwardly glaring at Billy with her arms out like "wtf do I do" lol. He didn't even introduce her she was kind of just there one minute and gone the next. Not sure what motivated that, she's not a singer as far as I know and the whole thing just came off kinda random.

Also how about that goofball up front dancing to nights in white satin? I have a video of that if anybody wants to see. Dude was distracting as hell but Billy got a laugh out of it and we all kind of just laughed along with him so it's all good.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashingPum...ght_from_last/

Old 11-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #564
slunken
Virgo

what else is going on on reddit? what happened on r/frogs today?

Old 11-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #565
slunken
Virgo

I think it's really nice how he's mixing up the deep cuts from show to show. one night it's jupiter's lament on piano, and the next it's cherry.

Out of the new songs played, I really like the one about Texas and suicide, but have no idea what it's called. Can anyone?

Old 11-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #566
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

11/19/19 Gramercy Ballroom, NYC :

Old 11-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #567
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 11-21-2019, 06:38 AM   #568
thedeadofnight
Ownz

ple spayed hiteface nast light

Old 11-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #569