Old 11-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #451
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
why do ya even care

the song is not that good

I like it, but I'm not sure why you'd want to die on this hill
I like reading smart criticisms that aren’t based on made up facts (like this song is a D4N leftover.)

I can agree with some criticisms, but some are outright based on ideas that are obviously made up.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #452
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
I like reading smart criticisms that aren’t based on made up facts (like this song is a D4N leftover.)

I can agree with some criticisms, but some are outright based on ideas that are obviously made up.
1. Solara was a D4N leftover.

2. Who does it matter when the song is shit either way?

Old 11-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #453
Kahlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
1. Solara was a D4N leftover.
Has he said this in an interview? (I genuinely don't really care - I just like to see Paranoid being proven wrong.)

Old 11-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #454
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Yes. And he also had posted about it during the time they were recording Monuments.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #455
Kahlo

AND THERE WE HAVE IT. PARANOID IS WRONG AS ALWAYS.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #456
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Angry

Quote:
Are you calling Cthulhu "made up"?

Old 11-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #457
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
Has he said this in an interview? (I genuinely don't really care - I just like to see Paranoid being proven wrong.)
Yes he said that.

Someone in this thread stated the songs on the record are D4N leftovers. Minus solara, That’s fake news.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #458
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Jeff plays that one.

If Jeff plays it live doesn't mean, he has also played it in the studio.

And I doubt that Corgan was in the studio version just the singer of the song too...

Old 11-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #459
spidrr
Ownz

Quote:
More details on the songs, please?

Also— who said back up singers are black? That’s a racist assumption and it’s not the first time I’ve read it (some moron on reddit blurted that out too).
— who said these were D4N leftovers and how does anyone know what those sessions sounded like? A lot of the reasons people are offering for disliking this song are losing serious ground.
Eh. Probably not worth it since it’s all from memory after only a few listens, but take it for what you want. Only listing songs not heard:

Travels - third song on the record. I remember getting bored. It dragged on. It’s a softer song but has drums and full instrumentation. Nothing too special from what I recall.

Alienation - don’t recall too much if this one. Though I did have the chorus stuck in my head a couple days ago. But I remember not being too into it.

Marchin On - highlight of the album for me. Heaviest song next to Solara. Really short at 2:30. I remember other people being into this one too. Listened to this one the most (we had control of iPads that had the album on a Spotify playlist). Got good ol’ nasally Billy back on this one. Though minus all the balls and angst. Features another drum section sorta like end of Solara.

With Sympathy - another top track for me. Softer song (full instrumentation), well written. Some nice melodies in there, some reminded me of Archer a bit. Doesn’t sound like Jimmy wrote this one at all. Sounds like a Billy track.

Seek/Destroy - Medium heavy song. Reminded me of the Beatles a bit. Has those major to minor chords all over the place. Didn’t dig this one much. Maybe after some more listens.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #460
paranoid
Minion of Satan

someone mentioned alienation was like run2me, your impression of that?

Old 11-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #461
spidrr
Ownz

Quote:
someone mentioned alienation was like run2me, your impression of that?
Not sure anything’s that bad. But it’s not a great song.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #462
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
If Jeff plays it live doesn't mean, he has also played it in the studio.

And I doubt that Corgan was in the studio version just the singer of the song too...

Agree. Billy vocal live performance is so out of key.
Embarrassing.
I know that he isnt a singer, but this is so bad.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #463
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yes he said that.

Someone in this thread stated the songs on the record are D4N leftovers. Minus solara, That’s fake news.

And if he hadn't blogged the title SOLARA, you'd be claiming it was a fresh track too, cos you're talking shite.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #464
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
And if he hadn't blogged the title SOLARA, you'd be claiming it was a fresh track too, cos you're talking shite.
He blogged nearly every song title for that project. Spaniards was another. Im not basing an opinion on weak assumptions like you. I dislike solara. Ironic that it is indeed a d4n leftover.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #465
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive View Post

This stuff? I don't know what it is but it isn't SP.
I dunno, it just sounds like Billy James and Jimmy playing together to me, so I'm not sure how else to interpret that other than "this sounds like SP." It sounds more like SP than Bill's vain attempts over the last 11 years to copy old SP style with different musicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Re the gospel singers:

i play this new track by hit rock band The Smashing Pumpkin again for my friend, thank you?

She reply: “Lol what’s with the gospel vibe — black ppl don’t listen to the SMASHEN PUNKEN!!!” And she lol throughout the song

Topic: is my friend the racist? Or merely true
there are a bunch of non-white people on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdark View Post
Honestly, I really don't think he is a technically better singer than he was 15 years ago. Personally, I think how he sounded on the Djali Zwan stuff is the peak of his performances as a technical singer. These days, he struggles massively with connecting the first consonant with the rest of the word ("t.ime is never t.ime at all"), which is awful technique, he sounds thin and strained, and he's off key much more often. That Silvery performance above was painful how often he slipped out of tune.
Quote:
Agreed, Zwan-era vocals were pretty good, live in particular. Yeah, that's the sort of thing which irritates me, it's definitely a technique he's using, no idea why as it sounds awful. What I was getting at is he's capable of singing in-tune now. However I'd rather he was out of tune and not singing this way. Memo to Billy
He definitely has a much higher ability to sing in tune live now. He turned a corner on that in a big way in 2007. People were shocked at how on-key he was at that Paris show. But his voice overall sounds much thinner and weaker, and yeah, he sounds like he really strains a lot.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #466
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
hell no. i saw them in seattle and b0llies bleating pierced my mind like the third eye of siva.
I haven't listened to that show, but the 01/02 performances were very good, vocally.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #467
FoolofaTook

his singing on the spun soundtrack was great (besides jesus i and love is a battlefield). but the stuff on the album was horrendous. the only song in which the nasal whine fit was msots becos all the other stuff going on buries it.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #468
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I dunno, it just sounds like Billy James and Jimmy playing together to me, so I'm not sure how else to interpret that other than "this sounds like SP." It sounds more like SP than Bill's vain attempts over the last 11 years to copy old SP style with different musicians.
I dunno, I'm just not feeling it. I mean, if I heard this song with the vocals recorded by someone else it wouldn't occur to me that it was SP, at all. Unless I picked over the shitty lyrics and then I'd be like "oh yeah, this is latter-day Corgan nonsense".

Old 11-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #469
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
his singing on the spun soundtrack was great (besides jesus i and love is a battlefield). but the stuff on the album was horrendous. the only song in which the nasal whine fit was msots becos all the other stuff going on buries it.
tbh his singing on MSotS is not a problem for me, it's more the bizarre song selection and elements of the production.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #470
Elphenor
Braindead

Zwan era vocals are pretty good

it's right at the start of ZG where there's a real "what happened"

Old 11-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #471
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I dunno, I'm just not feeling it. I mean, if I heard this song with the vocals recorded by someone else it wouldn't occur to me that it was SP, at all. Unless I picked over the shitty lyrics and then I'd be like "oh yeah, this is latter-day Corgan nonsense".
Where are the jimmy fans here? I feel like jimmy’s groove and presence is obvious all over this song even if he’s laying back a bit. It’s different for him but still sounds like him.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #472
redbreegull

Quote:
I mean, if I heard this song with the vocals recorded by someone else it wouldn't occur to me that it was SP, at all.
to be honest this is baffling to me. it sounds so much like them. the style is not something they did exactly in the old band, but that chemistry is unmistakably the three of them

Old 11-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #473
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post

there are a bunch of non-white people on this board

He definitely has a much higher ability to sing in tune live now. He turned a corner on that in a big way in 2007. People were shocked at how on-key he was at that Paris show. But his voice overall sounds much thinner and weaker, and yeah, he sounds like he really strains a lot.
There’s like three non white people on this board

With Netpho’s lovely history and misogyny and racism

Old 11-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #474
lightdark
Pledge

Quote:
That surprises me to hear about the omission of Love is a Battlefield, I've always enjoyed his vocal performance on that. Can't really remember the Jesus I performance though. What about it didn't you like?

Old 11-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #475
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God

https://i.imgur.com/S8xSSDu.jpg

Old 11-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #476
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Lolololo @ how, itt:

Ppl who don’t like the song: gosh, it doesn’t do it for me, nope, sorry

Ppl who do like the song: omg rest of u r not tr00 enuff fans? b/c omg this is the Tru Pure Heart of sp beating before us once more r your ears broken or what!!!!?!?!?

Old 11-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #477
paranoid
Minion of Satan

no

Old 11-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #478
paranoid
Minion of Satan

You can dislike the song all you want, but when you say “i can’t even hear jimmy and James presence” when they’re obviously there is just obnoxious.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #479
paranoid
Minion of Satan

If I were to compare the sound/vibe of this song, I’d say it’s a more optimistic/happy version of the last song, Rather than says its sounds closest to that puffy remix.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #480
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Red face

Amazing!
The first comment about the song just two days after its unlisted posting on YouTube there too: