Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #1231
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

William Patrice "Billy" Corcoran

Old 09-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #1232
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

William Crystal "It's the Modern Way" Croger

Old 09-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #1233
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Cool

Rick "The Dick" Rubin's

William Patrick Crooner

Mixes

Old 09-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #1234
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

GARBAGE are just on tour in Germany with their 20th anniversary of the 2.0 album.

In Cologne you could still get tickets at the E-Werk, which has a capacity of 2000 people.
Berlin's Huxley with 1600 sold out.

Corgan only wanted to tour shiny and so bright in Europe at 10 to 15000 capacity venues.
No wonder most promoters showed him the tipping finger.

I even doubt if the Smashing Pumpkins could sell 5000 tickets for a concert here in Germany with their trio-reunion...

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 09-17-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #1235
eyeboogers
Demi-God

To be fair Garbage were never anywhere near as big a draw as the Pumpkins

Old 09-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #1236
Alice
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
No wonder most promoters showed him the tipping finger.
Please explain this phrase. I like it

Old 09-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #1237
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeboogers View Post
To be fair Garbage were never anywhere near as big a draw as the Pumpkins
In Germany they were popular like the Pumpkins.

Garbage has sold 17 million records. The Smashing Pumpkins 20 million. Which are blown up sometimes now to 30 million.
Which is weird. Because they could have never sold another 10 million after the split in 2000.
Also there is this funny behaviour to double the counting of records for double records: 4 million Mellon Collies became 8 million in record sales.

And it's undoubtful that the last records of Gabarge sold much better then the latest SP-releases.

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 09-18-2018 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Statistics

Old 09-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #1238
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Please explain this phrase. I like it

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 09-17-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #1239
Alice
Minion of Satan

Oh

Old 09-18-2018, 11:30 PM   #1240
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God

William “Piss” Corgan

Old 09-18-2018, 11:41 PM   #1241
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

NICE

Old 09-19-2018, 12:58 AM   #1242
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Garbage has sold 17 million records. The Smashing Pumpkins 20 million. Which are blown up sometimes now to 30 million.
Which is weird. Because they could have never sold another 10 million after the split in 2000.
Also there is this funny behaviour to double the counting of records for double records: 4 million Mellon Collies became 8 million in record sales.

And it's undoubtful that the last records of Gabarge sold much better then the latest SP-releases.
Yeah MCIS is really just 5 million when you count it once. So the more accurate number is around 15 million total albums sold by SP.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:50 AM   #1243
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy blocked me yesterday, just because I asked a reasonably innocent question about D'Arcy (prior to me listening to the Beats interview) and also because I stated that he should mix things the way he wants to, not to be "competitive".

Blocked. That's it.

Luckily I have other IG accounts I can follow him on. Well, at least I made a difference in his life.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:45 AM   #1244
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Already "eviltimeban" is a destiny...

Old 09-19-2018, 07:15 AM   #1245
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Blocked. That's it.

Luckily I have other IG accounts I can follow him on. Well, at least I made a difference in his life.
Welcome to Social Media 2018, where getting blocked by a celeb is still sweet sweet attention.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #1246
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Billy blocked me yesterday, just because I asked a reasonably innocent question about D'Arcy (prior to me listening to the Beats interview) and also because I stated that he should mix things the way he wants to, not to be "competitive".

Blocked. That's it.

It’s stuff like this that vindicates every bit of bile you’ll read on this board.

Willy is a liar, fraud, hypocrite, bully and architect of his own failures.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #1247
Candy Cane
Demi-God

Location: Where the willows weep and the whirpools sleep you'll find me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post

'I prefer them lower personally but we exist in a super competitive environment'

'The kids want to rock'

I love the way Billy just casually mentions that he has little artistic integrity on instagram. Even most commercial sell-outs don't admit to being commercial sell-outs. Serious musicians would cringe if people felt they had compromised their artistic vision for commercial gains. Some musicians go their whole life living by a strict, rigid code of musical values; they flout their indie/underground status like it's a badge of honor; they're proud to be outcasts in the industry. To some, authenticity is everything and without it, you're nothing.

Meanwhile, Billy makes flippant remarks about how 'the kids want to rawk'. What kids? Kids with nothing in their heads, who think Papa Roach and Limp Bizkit are classic rock?

Conformist kids who listen to Jump by Van Halen and ask 'how high?' They're braindead-they've got a fucking bullet in their head.

The Kids In America? If so, he's living in La la la la la la la...land. Kids generally aren't interested in 50 year olds who sing Run To Me. They usually call the cops instead.

What super competition is he talking about? Pet Sounds was released in the sixties; Nevermind 27 years ago. Has he listened to the new Seasick Steve album and thought to himself 'this guy's really laid down a marker! How will I ever top it?'

The last decade has exposed Billy as the ultimate hypocrite and careerist. It makes me question whether the emotion of the early days-the raw pummeling rage, the tender, seemingly heartfelt mellon collie and (obviously not infinite) sadness was ever really genuine. These doubts lead to my appreciation of the old classics being stripped like layers of faded wallpaper until I am left with just a wall-a blank wall between Billy and I; a wall that I try to clamber over to find my love of the Pumpkins again, yet I continually slip, slip, slip...

If you spin your love around
the secrets of your dreams
you may find your love is gone
and is not quite what it seems...

P.S. NO OFFENSE TO SEASICK STEVE WHO I AM SURE IS VERY TALENTED

Old 09-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #1248
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
In Germany they were popular like the Pumpkins.

Yeah, I am sure they are just lying with that 30 million figure. I am sure that everyone would also want to pay taxes on sales that didn't exist.

Get rid of the double album counting twice if you want, but then do it for everyone and then create a list of every physical album sold by every band ever. Sounds fun!

Old 09-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #1249
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

He's definitely wrong about the "kids want to rock" - firstly, it's adults mostly, and secondly, they just want something that sounds like what they liked in the first place. Rock or not. They probably don't listen to the radio, so the music doesn't need to compete. Are they trying to compete with Drake or Bieber or something? LOL.

On the other point he's always been considered careerist. From the early days the Pumpkins were considered "inauthentic", they had no indie cred at all. So I can see why he went the opposite way to prove himself, by getting bigger.

Siamese Dream was the only instance where Billy's ambitions were in line with his talent, and he ended up with a great, almost perfect album. But even by MCIS it was contrived, "we're going to make a double album like The Wall, cos that's the thing big rock bands do". I'm surprised we didn't get a triple-live album, 70's style.

Adore burst the bubble but again it was one instance where he wasn't necessarily making a career move, just making the album he wanted to make. Since then it hasn't worked. The label wouldn't let him make Machina what he wanted it to be, and most of SP2 has suffered from the approach to the vocals and mixing which would tarnish those albums.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #1250
FoolofaTook

mcis should of been a quintuple album:

1. dawn to dusk
2. twilight to starlight
3. & 4 B-sides and rarities (like towers of rabble and speed and gravity demos)
5. 50 minute silverfuck

I HAVE SPOKEN

Old 09-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #1251
Candy Cane
Demi-God

Location: Where the willows weep and the whirpools sleep you'll find me.

Adore and The Future Embrace are probably the best examples of him doing what he wanted. Both were relative flops which have seemingly scarred him for life.

Note how quickly he toned down the William Patrick promotion and pushed Ogilala to the background when he was hit with the masses' apathy and the realization that people only recognize him as the whiny slaphead who sings that rat in a cage song.

He's like the kid in high school who gets caught masturbating in the girls' toilets and for the rest of the semester tries everything to live it down and be accepted by his peers; but what that kid doesn't realize is that he was just doing what he wanted; being true to his own vision and grossly perverted needs; and he's never going to be embraced if they know that the very thing he craves most is their acceptance, and they witness him every day making a fool of himself by simply trying too hard.

And yes, that kid was me.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #1252
FoolofaTook

Old 09-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #1253
FoolofaTook

damn i thought i was bad

Old 09-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #1254
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
damn i thought i was bad
Don’t worry, you still are, daddy.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #1255
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Cane View Post
Adore and The Future Embrace are probably the best examples of him doing what he wanted. Both were relative flops which have seemingly scarred him for life.

Note how quickly he toned down the William Patrick promotion and pushed Ogilala to the background when he was hit with the masses' apathy and the realization that people only recognize him as the whiny slaphead who sings that rat in a cage song.

He's like the kid in high school who gets caught masturbating in the girls' toilets and for the rest of the semester tries everything to live it down and be accepted by his peers; but what that kid doesn't realize is that he was just doing what he wanted; being true to his own vision and grossly perverted needs; and he's never going to be embraced if they know that the very thing he craves most is their acceptance, and they witness him every day making a fool of himself by simply trying too hard.

And yes, that kid was me.
Did he really push away Ogilala? Other than the whole "I will pursue VR art" thing, it seems to be the only time he correctly gauged interest: low, and then promoted it with limitations in mind. Rather than doing a bunch of interviews in which he attacks his fans, the media, the producers, the record label, the sun, the moon, his cat, some guy who told him he preferred harder music in 1996 and probably didn't buy this album, and his dad, he was sort of like "This is my solo album, kind of interesting isn't it? I have a kid who I am exploiting."

Old 09-20-2018, 01:21 AM   #1256
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
" I have a kid who I am exploiting."
bahahaha

Old 09-20-2018, 01:42 AM   #1257
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

>>>

Old 09-20-2018, 01:58 AM   #1258