Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #4291
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Yeah, Naomi Watts is so good in this, you don't even realize she's in it!

Old 06-21-2018, 04:18 AM   #4292
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Ladybird - cool

The Breadwinner - This shit is fucking fire yo. Everyone should watch this shit. Even better than Secret of Kells/Song of the Sea.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:19 AM   #4293
FoolofaTook

Thumbs up

Old 06-21-2018, 04:20 AM   #4294
FoolofaTook

Old 06-22-2018, 12:11 AM   #4295
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Hereditary - 5/5
I really liked this movie. It reminded me a lot of The Witch, both movies play more like old school horror movies instead of the over the top jump scare fests you get nowadays.
I have a few minor gripes, like I thought the ending was maybe a little bit too spelled out, but nothing that detracted from how tense and horrific a lot of it was. Some of the imagery from this will haunt me for a while for sure.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:16 AM   #4296
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Yeah, Naomi Watts is so good in this, you don't even realize she's in it!
confirmed i was posting high as a motherfucker again

Old 06-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #4297
LaBelle
Socialphobic

The Love Witch - 3/5
I loved the style and how silly it seemed on the surface. I liked how it chose to approach feminism, witches and women in general. I just think the dialogue was a bit too heavy handed.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #4298
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Can't remember if I expressed here or somewhere else, but I think The Love Witch needed about 20-30 minutes shaved off badly. The lead actress hams it up perfectly and it captures that '60s Technicolor horror vibe just right. It's just wayyy too fucking long for what it is.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #4299
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Yes for sure. there's way too many monologues too.
but overall it's a fun movie.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #4300
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Oops, almost forgot. Thanks for the rec TuralyonW3!! Really appreciate it.

Keep the recs coming everyone, or else i'll watch Rampage and Ready Player One this weekend!

Old 06-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #4301
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Nooo!

Old 06-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #4302
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

If you can find it, give Romero's Season of the Witch a look.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:19 PM   #4303
redbreegull

I watched Thor Ragnarok

It was pretty "fun." It was a "romp." It was "visually impressive" (except for the bad CGI fight scenes where the characters look like a cutscene from a video game in 2002)

I don't really get how so many people are into these movies though. This was a "good movie" for its genre by all measures and it was entertaining, but this was like maybe the 2nd or 3rd marvel film I've seen and I have no desire to watch any more. The formula is done well, but there is literally nothing stimulating, exciting, or surprising, you obviously know how it is gonna end, and the plot eventually reveals itself to be an arbitrary set of events which allow the writers to make a movie which is actually most centered on character humor (Mark Ruffalo is p. funny) and fan service moments. It's like the Star Wars franchise except twice as predictable, formulaic, and pointless

Old 06-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #4304
redbreegull

oh man thor has to fight without his hammer this time oh geez wow what a twist. oh his power was actually inside him and he never needed the hammer? mind blown

Old 06-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #4305
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Yeah, I enjoy most Marvel fare but shit is so overblown and overdone at this point, it's white noise.

The only real standouts to me are the Guardians of the Galaxy flicks.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #4306
LaBelle
Socialphobic

People are invested in the characters, want to see what happens next and enjoy how each movie fits into a larger narrative.

OR

People are all dumb idiots who like trash and those who don't are superior by default.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #4307
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
People are invested in the characters, want to see what happens next and enjoy how each movie fits into a larger narrative.

OR

People are all dumb idiots who like trash and those who don't are superior by default.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:10 PM   #4308
LaBelle
Socialphobic

note to self: never use an either/or on netphoria again.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #4309
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post

OR

I didn't think the movie was trash. It was actually really well-done, the characters were good, and it was genuinely funny. I guess I just don't see a higher point or message maybe. Even The Last Jedi, which I did not like that much, left me with a lot of stuff to think about and mull over after seeing the film. I don't feel the same substance to the marvel movies I have seen. But, it could be because I was never into comic book stuff when I was a kid and was only vaguely aware of who any of these characters were

Old 06-23-2018, 06:37 PM   #4310
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I didn't think the movie was trash. It was actually really well-done, the characters were good, and it was genuinely funny. I guess I just don't see a higher point or message maybe. Even The Last Jedi, which I did not like that much, left me with a lot of stuff to think about and mull over after seeing the film. I don't feel the same substance to the marvel movies I have seen. But, it could be because I was never into comic book stuff when I was a kid and was only vaguely aware of who any of these characters were
I was exaggerating of course, I mostly agree with you. I don't think Marvel movies have much deeper meaning beyond being fun action adventure movies to watch with friends.

But, the whole appeal to me is the shared universe and how everything fits together and how one movie will affect the next ones. That's something you wouldn't get by watching 2 or 3 movies. I imagine someone watching Attack of the Clones, The Last Jedi and Solo would be as equally dumbfounded as to why people care so much about Star Wars.

But of course I realize that telling someone to go watch 15 movies just to get why the way they connect is neat is completely ridiculous.

I'm also not familiar with the comics, but at this point i'm invested in these characters and was a bit shocked when they uncerimoniously killed half the cast in the Infinity War movie.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:31 PM   #4311
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Jurassic Park 5

Gosh this movie sucked cthulic diphthong, so friekin disappointed rn

Old 06-23-2018, 11:45 PM   #4312
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Truth or Dare - 1/5
This movie was baaaad.

Rampage - 3/5
Okayish dumb popcorn movie, I wish there was more giant monster action and less talky talk moments.

Evil lady getting eaten by the giant gorilla was dope

Old 06-24-2018, 12:22 AM   #4313
noyen
Immortal

the killing of a sacred deer - reminded me of the witch sorta too but I kinda loved the shit out of the cinematography many nods to kubrick throughout. beautifully eerie. loved the sound track. I didn't know what I was getting into really. I have some gripes on it's description and some of the moments are just weird. robotic autistic movie? it's weird like....not as weird as the lobster but still. the lobster was great too.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:40 AM   #4314
I Ate My Hamster
Apocalyptic Poster

4/5

Old 06-26-2018, 02:42 AM   #4315
FoolofaTook

Just started Twin Peaks. Pretty hella stoked.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:28 AM   #4316
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

oh wow, have fun with it. I'm sure someone's told you this already but it's vitally important that you push through the second half of the second season when everything goes off the rails and you can start to feel like they're taking the piss cause the S2 finale is fantastic and The Return won't make any sense without it. Also make sure you watch FWWM between S2 and The Return.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:55 AM   #4317
FoolofaTook

ok will do. thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #4318
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Annihilation was alright.

save for a few great little moments (like the "help me" bear), it was a fairly unremarkable sci-fi movie for me until it got fantastically weird and psychedelic near the end. but that ending kinda makes it all worth it. i just wish it was more consistently good throughout though. it's a bit too stock until that final stage kicks in.

on another note, i really love this newly developing 'trend', for lack of better word, of almost arthouse films verging on the surreal electing to talk about environmental issues - and particularly about how humans are destroying the planet and suffocate change/evolution - through beautifully strange, tangential storytelling. Mother! being the other example. i like how in both those films the environmental stuff is prominently suggested, but is not the focal point, and if you're not careful you could miss it; it's one thread of the fabric, but it's so craftily intertwined.

in the way of people's extraordinary inventiveness and creativity, the peaks make this a good time to be alive as a movie fan.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:35 PM   #4319
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Just started Twin Peaks. Pretty hella stoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
oh wow, have fun with it. I'm sure someone's told you this already but it's vitally important that you push through the second half of the second season when everything goes off the rails and you can start to feel like they're taking the piss cause the S2 finale is fantastic and The Return won't make any sense without it. Also make sure you watch FWWM between S2 and The Return.
I just said this in another thread, but IMO the S2 hate is a bit overblown. There are parts which are quite bad, but the central story (Cooper's arc) is always good, even though Windom Earle is a terrible villain.

And yeah definitely watch the whole thing even if you find it tedious, and watch FWWM, PLUS the FWWM extended scenes. Then do S3.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:19 PM   #4320
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Deathstalker II - 2/5
After the rape-fest that was Deathstalker I was prepared for the worst, but somehow not only did they avoid the same trappings of the original, the movie actually comments on it. Deathstalker has to fight in a deadly wrestling match to atone for his crimes against women. Everything is tongue in cheek and has a low budget charm to it. The bad acting by everyone brings it down a lot unfortunately.

Geteven - 1/5
This movie is a revenge tale of an ex cop middle aged guy who dates a young enough to be his daughter former member of a satanist cult who gets murdered in a bike chase. Except the story all takes place in the last 10 minutes of the film (not an exaggeration) and the first hour involves him singing in a club, a guy shooting his bills with a gun and the protagonist reciting shakespeare to his girlfriend. It is bizarre. Strongly recommended if you like films like The Room.

The song he sings is incredible. Off key dad singing at it's best: