LaBelle
Socialphobic

I remember you doge!!

Old 06-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #33
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
I'm still looking forward to the rest of the songs. The ratio for new albums from 90's artists is I usually like a couple of songs even if I think the record is overall meh. Like the two singles on Pearl Jam's last record I really liked but I thought the rest of the album was a coaster.
Yeah, I'm the same way man.

For me as a music fan though, if a band I like puts out a new album with 2 or 3 songs I like, I'm satisfied.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:55 AM   #34
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

5 months to go for ep1 with solara on it. Yupppie

Old 06-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #35
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Some classic SP song titles:

Window Paine
Hummer
Jellybelly
Behold! The Night Mare
Sweet Sweet

If you showed those to someone who'd never listened to SP alongside the new ones they'd probably find them just as stupid as "Silvery Sometimes".

We've also known about those titles for like two months now
I’ve noticed this too. I think what made it work back then is that James and Darcy were ridiculously cool, and Billy was working with producers who very savvy....and even though he still had that tendency to be unsuffeably out of touch, the rough edges of his aesthetic were rounded out by the people around him. Kind of like how McCartney’s over the top whismy was balanced out by Lennon. Unfortunately the way SP is set up now, there’s never gonna be anyone to reign him in again. Just look at the cover art for Solara. Holy shit.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve realized that the setting and people around an artist are almost more important than the actual artist. Billy may have played every note but music is about conception, ideas, culture, presentation....without people to help him out with that part, Billy has nothing but weird song titles and nickelbell esque cover art. It makes sense really. He gets his news from infowars and watches professional wrestling. What a “fucking poof.”

Old 06-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #36
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

McCartney is a great comparison ! Definitely the talented one out of the Beatles and often did everything , even the drums, but was a bit crap without qualities the others had.

Great post my friend !

Old 06-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #37
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
I’ve noticed this too. I think what made it work back then is that James and Darcy were ridiculously cool, and Billy was working with producers who very savvy....and even though he still had that tendency to be unsuffeably out of touch, the rough edges of his aesthetic were rounded out by the people around him. Kind of like how McCartney’s over the top whismy was balanced out by Lennon. Unfortunately the way SP is set up now, there’s never gonna be anyone to reign him in again. Just look at the cover art for Solara. Holy shit.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve realized that the setting and people around an artist are almost more important than the actual artist. Billy may have played every note but music is about conception, ideas, culture, presentation....without people to help him out with that part, Billy has nothing but weird song titles and nickelbell esque cover art. It makes sense really. He gets his news from infowars and watches professional wrestling. What a “fucking poof.”
Quality insight.

It makes sense. Just because Billy wrote and played those notes.. there was probably a lot more to what made those songs and albums great, including some of these things you've listed.. culture, people around him at the time, etc.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #38
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Every experience and outside influence shapes an artist, but he still wrote and recorded that music.

Naturally his environment has changed, and that can never be re-created. Even if James and D'arcy were there - because their environments have changed also.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #39
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post

The band as a whole had a cool factor about it but I don't think I ever looked at a single one of them individually and thought I would have found one of them interesting without the others around. James always looked stylish but half of his songs were embarrassing and he couldn't carry a tune with his voice. D'Arcy was a competent bassist, but not especially gifted. Bill was an insufferable dick. But the three of them had great stage presence and played off each other really well. The band was way way more than the sum of its parts, and they were lucky to have some of the best producers of the time backing them up. All of that together meant that your average fan - who it should really be said was in all likelihood in their formative years and willing to idolize musicians - could overlook any of the stupid aspects which were always, always there.

Seriously, it's been two decades and people still argue about what the Pisces cover is. If we were presented with that today we'd probably all call it a lazy piece of shit choice for album artwork.

Compare then to now. You have the second strongest personality in the band and the only one capable of reining Billy in now excised from the lineup, unable or unwilling to participate depending on who you want to believe, his now-much-more-subdued co-writer's contributions minimized and mixed down to the point of inaudibility, a producer known for being hands-off at the helm, Billy's narcissistic tendencies grown worse, his songwriting abilities diminished, become uninspired, his singing style altered drastically, his band now run cynically as a brand and marketed heavily before most any other concerns, and most importantly, an aged fanbase that's now much more informed and subsequently more critical of the choices their preferred artists make. There've been two decades for the diehards to really learn that the figurehead of the group is legitimately mentally deranged and have formed a hate-boner for the guy.

The band just isn't what it once was, we're not who we once were, and even if half of the above faults were rectified honestly there'd still be a contingent of people who shit on the output no matter what its form, just as there'll be people who applaud it.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #40
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
The band as a whole had a cool factor about it but I don't think I ever looked at a single one of them individually and thought I would have found one of them interesting without the others around. James always looked stylish but half of his songs were embarrassing and he couldn't carry a tune with his voice. D'Arcy was a competent bassist, but not especially gifted. Bill was an insufferable dick. But the three of them had great stage presence and played off each other really well. The band was way way more than the sum of its parts, and they were lucky to have some of the best producers of the time backing them up. All of that together meant that your average fan - who it should really be said was in all likelihood in their formative years and willing to idolize musicians - could overlook any of the stupid aspects which were always, always there.

Seriously, it's been two decades and people still argue about what the Pisces cover is. If we were presented with that today we'd probably all call it a lazy piece of shit choice for album artwork.

Compare then to now. You have the second strongest personality in the band and the only one capable of reining Billy in now excised from the lineup, unable or unwilling to participate depending on who you want to believe, his now-much-more-subdued co-writer's contributions minimized and mixed down to the point of inaudibility, a producer known for being hands-off at the helm, Billy's narcissistic tendencies grown worse, his songwriting abilities diminished, become uninspired, his singing style altered drastically, his band now run cynically as a brand and marketed heavily before most any other concerns, and most importantly, an aged fanbase that's now much more informed and subsequently more critical of the choices their preferred artists make. There've been two decades for the diehards to really learn that the figurehead of the group is legitimately mentally deranged and have formed a hate-boner for the guy.

The band just isn't what it once was, we're not who we once were, and even if half of the above faults were rectified honestly there'd still be a contingent of people who shit on the output no matter what its form, just as there'll be people who applaud it.
tl;dr

Old 06-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #41
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

I agree totally. Even if the 4 were together it wouldnt work out now. They had their time. Internet wasnt around. If theyd release sd or mcis it would be worth a little headline on the musicsites and 4 stars. Nothing more. In 1994 mtv was big and people/ kids were listeining radio. Now kids listen to trap- kanye, beyoncebitch, or whatever. They dont even know the bands name or song title.

What bothers me is billys singing technique, mix etc...
Dont blame rubin - cause billy has alwaxs had the last decision.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #42
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

I saw Silvery Sometimes listed on there and was like, wtf is that and then I saw Ghosts in parenthesis and I was like, Oh Ghosts, ok then, that makes sense.

Why does he keep having 2 song titles one in parenthesis? Who does that? No one cares. Its different is people know a song one way so you use it to describe the song in laymens terms, ie: BWBW (rat in a cage). But otherwise its stoopid. What a goof!

Last edited by Gooch : 06-15-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #43
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I saw Silvery Sometimes listen on there and was like, wtf is that and then I saw Ghosts in parenthesis and I was like, Oh Ghosts, ok then, that makes sense.

Why does he keep having 2 song titles one in parenthesis? Who does that? No one cares. Its different is people know a song one way so you use it to describe the song in laymens terms, ie: BWBW (rat in a cage). But otherwise its stoopid. What a goof!
This is what D'arcy was saying about Billy.. he thinks and does things like that to try to make himself look 'smart' but really it just makes him look dumb.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #44
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I saw Silvery Sometimes listen on there and was like, wtf is that and then I saw Ghosts in parenthesis and I was like, Oh Ghosts, ok then, that makes sense.

The song titles wouldn’t be so bad if we could imagine they came from a dude with even a hint of self-awareness or a sense of humor about himself

Instead, we’re talking about a grown-ass, nearly elderly man who, with a straight face, believes it is poetic to use words like “lest,” “betwixt,” begin sentences with “for,” etc.

So fucken embarrassing to follow this band these days. Thankfully nobody is really paying attention

Old 06-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #45
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
Quality insight.

It makes sense. Just because Billy wrote and played those notes.. there was probably a lot more to what made those songs and albums great, including some of these things you've listed.. culture, people around him at the time, etc.
Exactly. In every interview he has given regarding Gish and Siamese Dream, Butch insists that while Billy and Jimmy were the instrumental "core" of the band, D'arcy and James had influence on the songs through their presence during rehearsals, early recording, and arranging.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #46
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
tl;dr
too dumb; ignore list

Old 06-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #47
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
I agree totally. Even if the 4 were together it wouldnt work out now. They had their time. Internet wasnt around. If theyd release sd or mcis it would be worth a little headline on the musicsites and 4 stars. Nothing more. In 1994 mtv was big and people/ kids were listeining radio. Now kids listen to trap- kanye, beyoncebitch, or whatever. They dont even know the bands name or song title.

What bothers me is billys singing technique, mix etc...
Dont blame rubin - cause billy has alwaxs had the last decision.
jesus fuck the hell off already

Old 06-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #48
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Exactly. In every interview he has given regarding Gish and Siamese Dream, Butch insists that while Billy and Jimmy were the instrumental "core" of the band, D'arcy and James had influence on the songs through their presence during rehearsals, early recording, and arranging.
uh actually i am an overweight 30 something who works in a gas station and wears pumpkins shirts every day and i only ever listen to the pumpkins so I can say thats bullshit and its a fact that billy made everything and wrote everything and james and darcy couldn't play at all ever and james still can't and i dont even know why we are having this discussion because the pumpkins are better than ever MOMUMENTS ROCKED

Old 06-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #49
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
beyoncebitch
Too far, motherfucker

Old 07-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #50
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
This is what D'arcy was saying about Billy.. he thinks and does things like that to try to make himself look 'smart' but really it just makes him look dumb.
Nothing makes him sound dumber than when he pronounces song titles in stupid ways: "TA-RAN-TOO-LA" and "MA-SHEEN-A."

Hopefully we'll get some of that stupidity with one of these songs.

Howard Stern: Wow, Billy! I really liked every song on the new EP! The song Alienation is especially good. Can you tell me what it's about?

Billy: Well, first off, the title is actually pronounced A-LION-NATION. It's a metaphor for how the country we live in now is made of people who can shapeshift into lions. I know. I've seen it happen.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #51
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

not even dropped consonants?

Old 07-10-2018, 07:09 PM   #52
Ram27
dumb

but it is ma-sheen-uh

ma-kine-uh would sound more pretentious

Old 07-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #53
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

But... that's how the word is actually pronounced.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #54
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
"MA-SHEEN-A."
That's...what it is though.

EDIT Oh, that's already been mentioned

Last edited by Funbags : 07-10-2018 at 10:01 PM. Reason: :(

Old 07-11-2018, 02:07 AM   #55
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams of ass View Post
hey guys

remember me?
no

Old 07-11-2018, 07:06 AM   #56
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Any release date???? Billy talking about releasing one ep before the tour and one ep after, right?

Another broken promise???????
There is never ever a surprise song ep whatever. Billy always announcing shit, breaking promises... Thats what bothers fans.

Just stfu bill and just release stuff

Old 07-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #57
thedeadofnight
Ownz

I think it's for the best if they never release another song again

Old 07-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #58
thedeadofnight
Ownz

I mean, if Solara was chosen to launch this "reunion".....why would anyone wanna hear the LEFTOVER tracks?

Old 07-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #59
Ram27
dumb

and why launch the reunion with a leftover track from their worst album?

Old 07-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #60
Ram27
dumb

It's also funny/sad because if the first Adore single was Me Rock You Snow or Porkbelly we'd be excited

Grainy 25 year old E-sides with dumb names are better than Solara