Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #301
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Posting from mobile, so I can only shitpost right now.
story of my life

Old 11-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #302
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

the talent

Old 11-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #303
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Is that a Gaultier?

Old 11-28-2017, 10:41 PM   #304
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

What, just because it's gaudy and tasteless?

Old 11-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #305
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

What if it's the next rung down

Somebody who can't design gaudy tasteless clothing and has to steal those designs from Gaultier

Old 11-28-2017, 11:08 PM   #306
redbreegull

lololololol that gif.

you must spread rep before giving it to tehbolly again

Old 11-29-2017, 02:42 PM   #307
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Good boys deserve fresh apples, is what I heard
I've heard that your FACE... is the spaces on the treble clef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
hey discoking do you still like comics

read Nightwing Rebirth recently

has Raptor in it which is like Batman if he was a poor orphan instead of a millionaire
I haven't kept up with comics for maybe over a year now. I haven't read any of the recent Nightwing stuff.

I was reading the Green Arrow Rebirth book before I fell off, though. Ben Percy had already been impressing me on the Green Arrow book before the "Rebirth" banner, so I followed him as he continued on it. He was bringing the political commentary back to the book, after that aspect of the character was pretty much erased after the reboot.

I also followed Tom King onto Batman, because I loved his Omega Men book, but I stopped after the first arc, because his Batman was pretty bland.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:26 PM   #308
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Dang had to come home early from the bar we were at, cause there was way too many people around doing shit because of some sports event :|

Old 11-29-2017, 09:52 PM   #309
FoolofaTook

Good. Now you can do what you should of done in the first place: stayed at home and drank in peace and quiet while singing/sobbing along to Frozen.

At least that is what I do when I drink

Old 11-29-2017, 09:52 PM   #310
LaBelle
Socialphobic

LET IT GOOOOOO

Old 11-29-2017, 10:55 PM   #311
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
I've heard that your FACE... is the spaces on the treble clef.

I haven't kept up with comics for maybe over a year now. I haven't read any of the recent Nightwing stuff.

I was reading the Green Arrow Rebirth book before I fell off, though. Ben Percy had already been impressing me on the Green Arrow book before the "Rebirth" banner, so I followed him as he continued on it. He was bringing the political commentary back to the book, after that aspect of the character was pretty much erased after the reboot.

I also followed Tom King onto Batman, because I loved his Omega Men book, but I stopped after the first arc, because his Batman was pretty bland.
I like that DC started implementing a sort of 99% vs. 1% modern angle to their stories but there's a real missed opportunity in NightWing

from the start it shows you Grayson is obsessed with the book Robin Hood and the villain in the first arc is a more Robin Hood-esque Batman who does things like gets members of the court of owl (evil rich plutocrats) killed (with NightWing's help) in exchange for a bounty which he donates to refugees

but the story doesn't end up having NightWing ask why Raptor is the villain and millionaire Batman the hero, it's just like "he kills so he's evil" and now I leave Gotham because I got people killed

I feel a better development of Grayson's character would have had him as a poor orphan himself question the Wayne's and turn against Bruce to a degree

thankfully once he gets to BluudHaven there's a really fresh take on the character's villains and the depiction of the city is great

plus his love interest immediately became one of my favorite DC superwomen a sort of anti-hero graffiti artist and their relationship is written surprisingly well

Old 11-29-2017, 11:42 PM   #312
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Sounds pretty interesting. Yeah, I also find that stories often introduce sociopolitical issues without really giving them more than a cursory exploration. Kind of just stick to the status quo, and don't have the hero question their own ideals all that much. I checked out Detective Comics when Manapul and Buccellato were on it, because the art was phenomenal, but I quit after a couple of storylines because they were pretty dull. One of them had riots break out after a cop mistakenly shot a youth, but then it turns out that the rioters are all being mind-controlled as part of some villain's plan who doesn't even care about the police shooting, it's just part of his convoluted scheme to exact revenge on some other villain. By having that sort of plot development, you can put a hot topic like police brutality and state violence in your story, without ever having to make any kind of meaningful statement on it because the story isn't really addressing it at all. There's no moral complexity because it's just "lol, the villain isn't a real anarchist, he's just a bad guy, so we don't have to deal with the philosophy of anarchism; the rioters aren't really rioters, they're just mind-controlled, so we don't have to deal with the topic of civil unrest; the cop isn't really mishandling his power, it was just an accident, so we don't have to deal with the idea of abuse of authority." To top it all off, the story has Alfred get on a megaphone and tell all the rioters to stop and to obey authority, pretty much making him the stand-in for the white rich guy who tells disadvantaged people they should communicate their displeasure in ways the people who are oppressing them are comfortable with. The story does nothing to challenge this or offer an alternative point of view. Pretty uninspired, safe writing that's sure to offend nobody.

Interesting bit of trivia: the character Anarky was originally introduced to eventually become Batman's new Robin after Jason Todd died. The creators (Grant and Breyfogle) didn't know that SC already had plans to introduce a new Robin, Tin Drake. It's interesting to think of what could have been, if Batman took on a young anarchist as his partner, and they over time learned from each other and evolved their perspectives by challenging each other.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:49 PM   #313
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
thanks for remembering.
after said incident, he just went on radio silence for like a month or two. then one day out of the blue, he sends me this text, "hey, i'm meeting X (another friend of ours) for a beer tonight. you wanna join us?"

i was still pretty pissed not only at his insult towards me, but at his demeanor afterwards, not even making the slightest effort to make things right, except texting "if i offended you, i apologize". which is the very definition of a meaningless bullshit apology. so i texted him back, "i don't know what kind of jungle you were brought up in, but my idea of a friendship is not a person who acts like a complete shithead toward me and then doesn't even bother to attempt rectifying things, save for a vacant, half assed text. waiting it out and then acting like it never happened doesn't fly. fuck you."

in hindsight, i can see that i used very strong words. words that shut down, rather than encourage repairing. for all people who do not possess the same idea of loyalty that i do, the obvious result will be for them to prefer saving face, rather than to take the hit for the friendship. maybe i could have been more forthcoming, but i was angry and only reacted that way because that's how i felt. and either way, if i went back to being his friend after all he could do after being a tremendous dick was offer that 'yeah btw i apologize or whatever' i would have no respect for either him nor myself. so i suppose it was inevitable. but perhaps i should have tried harder and not been so petty.

anyway, after that he went straight into offensive mode and attacked me, saying i need to "grow the fuck up" and "do i actually believe he's got nothing better to do than 'wait it out' just to text you". then he blocked me before i could respond. class act.

i don't care about that guy in particular because i realize he's not somebody worth having in my life at all, but it's been a rough year. many casualties in friends. i basically need to start over and find new ones, and i don't have it in me. i've been meaning to sign up to a photography course, or painting class, whatever. just something to preoccupy my mind with, and help meet new people. but it's been months and i don't seem to be capable of doing it right now.
I see. Yeah, he doesn't sound like a mature person. If he really wanted to apologize to you, he'd be more willing to discuss exactly what it was he did wrong. Just saying "sorry for whatever" to neutralize your right to ever bring it up again is disingenuous.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #314
redbreegull

del

Old 11-30-2017, 12:16 AM   #315
Disco King
Minion of Satan

So, with that girl I took out who kinda stopped texting me, and then disclosed to me that she's going through a bad depression and is intimidated by how much she likes me and is afraid of disappointing me:

After sending her that message saying I understand, and that she should feel free to take as much time as she needs to take care of herself, I didn't hear from her again. I wanted to wait for her to make the next move, because I don't want to pressure her into going out again if she's not ready. But I'm also sensing that she isn't likely to ever initiate (seems shy), and she did say that she wants to see me again, so I'm kind of stuck with this dilemma of not wanting to pester her, but also knowing that she probably wants me to take her out again eventually.

I sent her a text asking how she's feeling. No response. A friend advised me that the best thing to do may be to send a meme, because signaling that she can open up to me might just intimidate her more, especially as we've only seen each other once.

He's a smart guy. I sent her a funny picture, and she responded.

What do I do now, though? Send her another meme?

Old 11-30-2017, 12:21 AM   #316
LaBelle
Socialphobic

On the 28th me and crazy21™ celebrated our 2 months anniversary.
It was a momentous occasion.
Can't believe it lasted that long already.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:57 AM   #317
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
So, with that girl I took out who kinda stopped texting me, and then disclosed to me that she's going through a bad depression and is intimidated by how much she likes me and is afraid of disappointing me:

After sending her that message saying I understand, and that she should feel free to take as much time as she needs to take care of herself, I didn't hear from her again. I wanted to wait for her to make the next move, because I don't want to pressure her into going out again if she's not ready. But I'm also sensing that she isn't likely to ever initiate (seems shy), and she did say that she wants to see me again, so I'm kind of stuck with this dilemma of not wanting to pester her, but also knowing that she probably wants me to take her out again eventually.

I sent her a text asking how she's feeling. No response. A friend advised me that the best thing to do may be to send a meme, because signaling that she can open up to me might just intimidate her more, especially as we've only seen each other once.

you need to take the pressure off her.
she is probably feeling awkward about putting things out in the open like that, and kinda feels like you're catering to her now instead of courting her. just find a way to talk to her naturally without making it seem like there's an "agenda", you're just talking to her/asking to see her cause you like her. don't be overly cautious, it'll just trigger her.

try to figure out a way to suggest meeting casually, without the normally associated pressures of a date. tell her you're going to be somewhere fun at a specific time, where she can choose to come see you for a bit or not - like for example, when you're already hanging with other friends but are around her neighborhood or something. or ask her if she wants to come along as you take some photos, and you'll buy her a cup of coffee. and so forth

Old 11-30-2017, 01:17 AM   #318
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Sounds pretty interesting. Yeah, I also find that stories often introduce sociopolitical issues without really giving them more than a cursory exploration. Kind of just stick to the status quo, and don't have the hero question their own ideals all that much. I checked out Detective Comics when Manapul and Buccellato were on it, because the art was phenomenal, but I quit after a couple of storylines because they were pretty dull. One of them had riots break out after a cop mistakenly shot a youth, but then it turns out that the rioters are all being mind-controlled as part of some villain's plan who doesn't even care about the police shooting, it's just part of his convoluted scheme to exact revenge on some other villain. By having that sort of plot development, you can put a hot topic like police brutality and state violence in your story, without ever having to make any kind of meaningful statement on it because the story isn't really addressing it at all. There's no moral complexity because it's just "lol, the villain isn't a real anarchist, he's just a bad guy, so we don't have to deal with the philosophy of anarchism; the rioters aren't really rioters, they're just mind-controlled, so we don't have to deal with the topic of civil unrest; the cop isn't really mishandling his power, it was just an accident, so we don't have to deal with the idea of abuse of authority." To top it all off, the story has Alfred get on a megaphone and tell all the rioters to stop and to obey authority, pretty much making him the stand-in for the white rich guy who tells disadvantaged people they should communicate their displeasure in ways the people who are oppressing them are comfortable with. The story does nothing to challenge this or offer an alternative point of view. Pretty uninspired, safe writing that's sure to offend nobody.

Interesting bit of trivia: the character Anarky was originally introduced to eventually become Batman's new Robin after Jason Todd died. The creators (Grant and Breyfogle) didn't know that SC already had plans to introduce a new Robin, Tin Drake. It's interesting to think of what could have been, if Batman took on a young anarchist as his partner, and they over time learned from each other and evolved their perspectives by challenging each other.
Right, exactly

shoddy writing that takes me right out of the story

I much prefer when Batman is portrayed as a vigilante in a city where the institutions of justice have rotted to corruption

Old 11-30-2017, 01:38 AM   #319
Ram27
dumb

Quote:

Not that I know anything, but I'd say to try to keep up a casual friendship, keep her company through the depression, if you can

Old 11-30-2017, 01:40 AM   #320
Ram27
dumb

I just matched on tinder with a girl from my broadcasting class

Not THE girl, but another girl

I just think this is funny. i just think life is funny

Old 11-30-2017, 01:40 AM   #321
Ram27
dumb

also i think i don't care about this girl anymore. you guys were right and i really appreciate your advice

Old 11-30-2017, 01:49 AM   #322
ilikeplanets
Braindead

i fucking hate this thread. i should say so in the hate thread. ew.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:00 AM   #323
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Too much sad sex, and not enough drugs?

I've been too busy to get high recently. I'm supposed to try dabs for the first time on Friday, though. A coworker also wants me to try coke. I dunno, I don't have much interest in coke, but unlike more addictive drugs, it's the kind of thing I'm open to trying once, just to see how it goes. I mean, he's offering it for free, why not.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:05 AM   #324
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Actually, I probably won't do it. I don't know enough about coke to identify purity, and I'm kinda afraid of it being cut with shit I don't know about and getting fucked up.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:12 AM   #325
Ram27
dumb

I'm kinda scared of stimulants; I'm naturally already very high energy, anything that would give me more energy is just...I'd rather not.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #326
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
also i think i don't care about this girl anymore. you guys were right and i really appreciate your advice
That's great to read! Hopefully things go well with the other girl on Tinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
On the 28th me and crazy21™ celebrated our 2 months anniversary.
It was a momentous occasion.
Can't believe it lasted that long already.
Congrats! How's it been so far?

You guys started officially dating pretty quickly, didn't you?

Quote:
I'm kinda scared of stimulants; I'm naturally already very high energy, anything that would give me more energy is just...I'd rather not.
The reason the guy wants me to try it is that he was the same guy who was selling me Adderall, and he was pretty surprised when it had almost no effect on me. He wants to see what I'm like on other stimulants.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:30 AM   #327
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Not that I know anything, but I'd say to try to keep up a casual friendship, keep her company through the depression, if you can
I did think about messaging her to suggest hanging out just as friends if something more casual might reduce the pressure on her, but then I thought that might actually make her feel worse. Like, she might interpret it as her issues being "baggage" that somebody wouldn't want to deal with in a dating situation.

I also don't really know what it would mean to hang out just as "friends" when both parties are keen on each other, and know that the other is keen on them. It seems the only thing that would distinguish such hang-out sessions from a date would be a semantic label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
you need to take the pressure off her.
she is probably feeling awkward about putting things out in the open like that, and kinda feels like you're catering to her now instead of courting her. just find a way to talk to her naturally without making it seem like there's an "agenda", you're just talking to her/asking to see her cause you like her. don't be overly cautious, it'll just trigger her.

try to figure out a way to suggest meeting casually, without the normally associated pressures of a date. tell her you're going to be somewhere fun at a specific time, where she can choose to come see you for a bit or not - like for example, when you're already hanging with other friends but are around her neighborhood or something. or ask her if she wants to come along as you take some photos, and you'll buy her a cup of coffee. and so forth
That might not be bad. Just, like, being normal and not putting too much attention on what she aired, because from my own experience, it does just make one more uncomfortable when people start treating one as a fragile Fabergé egg after they find out about one's depression. Being all "what's up, how are you feeling?" probably just makes shit awkward. Yeah, maybe I'll just invite her to come along and do things I would be doing anyway, rather than planning a date together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Right, exactly

shoddy writing that takes me right out of the story

I much prefer when Batman is portrayed as a vigilante in a city where the institutions of justice have rotted to corruption
Yeah, one thing I really dug about Begins was how they emphasized that Gotham's crime problem stemmed from inequality and corruption, and that the street crime was just symptomatic of the wider societal issues. Batman is more nuanced that a guy who just wants to live out a revenge fantasy on muggers, he wants to target the big guys who are the root cause of everything, and "shake people out of apathy" to reclaim the city for the people.

I like stories with that angle, and when they show how Batman tries to help the city both with his resources as Bruce Wayne to end the poverty that produces crime, and as Batman to protect people from the crime that currently exists. Otherwise, he's just a crazy rich asshole who likes to beat up poor people to make himself feel better.

One kinda recent comic I really dug was Arkham Manor. Arkham Asylum is closed down, and nobody wants the new hospital built in their backyards, so Bruce Wayne gives up his mansion to become the new facility. He kind of reflects on how his father was a doctor and his mother a social worker, so he's carrying on their tradition of helping the ill. The comic deals with how he actually cares about the recovery of all the inmates at the asylum and has their interests at heart. It does a bit more to address the stigma of mental illness than most Batman comics, that usually make psychosis appear to be synonymous with evil. It still has a pretty cartoony and gothic depiction of mental illness, because it's a spooky thriller, but it still gives a perspective on Gotham's insane offenders not usually seen.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:05 AM   #328
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
i fucking hate this thread. i should say so in the hate thread. ew.
Sorry, i'll keep my posting to a minimum.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:08 AM   #329
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Congrats! How's it been so far?

You guys started officially dating pretty quickly, didn't you?
It's been great. Ofc it's still super early on, but it already feels like we've known each other for a long time (in a good way)

We just hit it off just great out of the gate, soon we started to want to spend all the time we could together and after a while it just became clear it wouldn't make any sense to pretend we weren't in a relationship anymore... lol

Old 12-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #330
FoolofaTook

Don't do coke dk. Smoke treez and listen to OM.

Going on six weeks weedless.