View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #109
cyclonus5150
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3
I've interacted with a lot of different fans, but SP fans (maybe just Netphorians in particular) have to be the worst. And this is really saying something, since Tool and NIN fans are pretty stupid.

I'm not talking about having to constantly suck Billy's cock. There's plenty I don't like about SP: songs, albums, tours, etc. Yeah, it's easy to see how people can think the robes are stupid and be disappointed about not having old members.

However, stuff like all this posting of old band pictures and moaning over times past in the PARIS show discussion thread is sickening. It reeks of an obsession with IMAGE over MUSIC. This is how emo kids and mainstream pop fans act.

We get a HUGE fucking rock show, and an ensuing tour where millions of people will get to hear songs that might not have EVER even been played live again. PLUS, Billy is even allowing all this open bootlegging! How many mainstream rock bands do that?!

I don't give a fuck about how the current situation compares with your idealized nostalgia. I've been a huge fan since 1995, I remember Billy with hair and cute D'arcy and all that shit. YOU GET TO SEE SP AGAIN, you get to hear Cherub Rock and Silverfuck and Tonight, Tonight, etc. slamming you in the face from huge speakerss and Billy ripping out solos on stage. You get a whole new album of hard rocking songs.

If you can't enjoy this without James standing a certain way or making the occasional wisecrack, or without thinking about beating off to D'arcy later that night, then you're really not into the music at all, you're into an idealized memory.

I hate censorship, and think people should be able to post whatever they want, but I'm just sharing my reaction to what I see. Feel free to flame away.

Thanks so much for pretty much saying everything I've been feeling since returning here. Honestly, it wasn't like this around here 7 years ago. I too have been a fan since 92 and actually saw the band several times when Billy had hair. It was always, ALWAYS about the music back then and they constantly delivered. So they jumped the shark a bit after MCIS and Billy started to try and move away from rock music. Lots of fans left at that point but some of us stuck around anyway. Why? Because the community around here was alot of fun to share opinion with and it really helped to get everyone's take on the music. Afterall, that's what it was all about - the music. So what if lots of us were secretly wishing that Billy would return to writing bombastic rock jams full of blistering guitar solos and beautiful layers of sound. It really sucked because we knew what Billy and Jimmy together were capable of and when Jimmy came back into the fold, our expectations shot through the roof. Little did we know that Billy was in such a creative rut, or so it seemed at the time. I'll always maintain that Machina was written and recorded during a time when Billy was going through something that impeded his creative process. Maybe depression or lack of inspiration...who knows. All I know is that those songs were nearly lifeless and sonically cannot hold a flame to anything on Siamese Dream.

Seven years ago I could post that opinion...and it is just that....and more than likely I would encounter someone either just as equally bummed out or someone that could intelligently offer their own opinion even if it didn't match mine. It was cool. It's not so much anymore. Now it's all whining about each and everything the band does and I don't understand. This band has been defunct for 7 years and very unexpectedly resurrected and instead of rejoicing alot of people around here feel the need to complain because they didn't play enough Adore tracks in their first show back or the lead single from the upcoming album might indicate a return to hard rock?

Get over it, people. Despite what alot of you may believe or want to believe, the Pumpkins were a mega-platinum act with a really wide variety of fans. Lots of us were rock fans who latched onto the Pumpkins in the early 90's because they offered us an alternative to the "alternative" movement which was at the time killing any true musical ambition in rock music. Guitar solos were the enemy and Billy played them with a ferocious abandon and he did it with great style and critical acclaim. He was a regular in Guitar World, in case you didn't know and Gish was actually named best new album in that same very magazine!

This is a rock guitar band at it's core and despite the fact that Billy decided to dabble in gothic, electronic keyboard-based music towards the end and basically eschewed guitar solos, there are plenty of us that loved who they were in the beginning. We celebrate a return to their roots as they move forward, not backward. They've still got alot of rocking to do, people. Either you're along for the ride or you're left behind to mope around in "The Crying Tree of Mercury".