View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #93
Disco King
Minion of Satan

The whole "celebrity politics" things seems like the natural conclusion of American politics and entertainment being mixed.

Even the current coverage of Trump seems to make his every dumb tweet front-page news, with less substantial coverage of the issues that actually matter (the details of the Republican tax reform, the current intervention in Yemen, climate policy, the gutting of several federal agencies right-wingers aren't fond of, the fact that the executive branch still isn't staffed and is in shambles, his Israel-Palestine policy, including the fact that his Middle East team is staffed with fucking real-estate moguls and marketers instead of anybody with actual knowledge of the issues facing the region...)

Like, I don't actually give much of a shit whether or not Trump has dementia. I don't care about his personal health. His actions speak for themselves, whether they are caused by a diagnosable illness or not. That speculation seems more like tabloid gossip.

The tidbits about the dysfunctional White House are salacious and, I'm not gonna like, I read a little bit of that stuff, too, but it's nowhere near as important the actual policies.

Even the Russia investigation... I obviously think there is merit to the investigation, and I bet it's going to turn up that Trump has been laundering money for the Russian mob for years, and did some Russian oligarchs a few favours in the White House. But while the investigation is important, the fact that it's dominating the news cycle, with every unverified anonymous claim getting coverage, seems to come at the expense of more substantial issues. Of course the case should be reported on, but maybe only when substantial information is released, instead of the media ignoring more important issues about actual policies in favour of RUUUUSSSIAAA! (as if the U.S. doesn't interfere with elections in much worse ways than making some fake internet articles). CNN and MSNBC embarrassed themselves when they reported on "evidence" that Assange gave Donny Jr. leaked documents before they were publicly released, neglecting to verify the date IN THE VERY HEADER OF THE EMAIL that showed that it was sent ten days after they reported it was, and after the documents were already publicly available. What's more, the email was sent from a random Gmail account that could have been anybody. There very well may have been collusion between Assange and the Trump campaign (we have other pretty convincing evidence this is so), but such sloppy reporting, which was never even properly retracted, just fuels Trump's "FAKE NEWS" claims.