Thread: Pic Post
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #1650
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Kinda wondering about charging for photos.

I haven't really thought about it, because I don't think I've got the skill to justify charging for portraits. I've talked with some people here and there about taking photos, but I of course didn't consider charging them for what seemed to me to be a couple friends engaging in a mutually enjoyable activity.

However, the other day at my university food court, the lady who was taking my order inquired about having some photos taken. I wasn't carrying my camera at the time, but I often do have it on me, and she must had recognized me. She wants me to meet with her over the weekend to take some photos.

I don't really like the idea of charging people, but I'm still spending my time to meet with and take photos of a virtual stranger. And then there's the cost involved in buying and processing film, as well. I don't feel justified in charging anybody for my skill and experience, of which I have none, but maybe I should be getting some compensation for my supplies? Film ain't cheap.

However, when she asked me how much I charged, I told her that I'm not a professional, and that I've just been taking photos as a hobby, and as such, have never yet charged anyone. I feel like my answer was an implicit "I'll do it for free," and that I can't really go back now and be like "would you like to pay by cash, or by cheque?"

So, uh, what do?