View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 09:55 PM   #178
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I've been meaning to check out the GTA series for some time (especially because I like a lot of those open-world superhero games based on the GTA gameplay), and finally got around to playing one. The newest one is too expensive, so I downloaded GTA IV.

I dunno, this is apparently one of the best games ever developed, but I'm not seeing the appeal. Controls feel kinda clunky, especially for combat. They also feel needlessly complex, with too many things to remember.

Driving is a headache, because it's very difficult to drive properly, but the game also penalizes you for driving recklessly. The driving AI doesn't make much sense, either. Cars, for whatever reason, stop at red lights at BOTH SIDES OF THE INTERSECTION, meaning they might go through one set of lights, only to stop in the middle of the intersection at the lights at the other side of the road. I don't know how it is in New York, but where I live, the traffic signals facing you are at the other side of the intersection, and if they are red, they mean you stop before you enter the intersection, not afterward. In this game, both sets of lights are facing you, for some reason. How are you supposed to read lights directly above you?

Character AI is also kinda unrealistic. In one mission, I had to take an NPC on a date. I drive her home, using her car (everybody makes you drive their cars in this game for some reason). Because driving lawfully is nearly impossible, I bump into everything on the way and nearly total her car. Instead of going "wow you dick, you ruined my car; I'm not sure I'm comfortable around you anymore; leave now or I'm calling the cops, and you'll be in a world of trouble if you don't pay for this shit," she goes "wow I had a wonderful time, call me some time."

Also, fuck tapping A to run.

Overall, it's a fine game, though.
breeg will teach you how to drive

He generously shared with me many of his tips in the late great generic games thread, if you’re inclined to dig for it; definitely helped me enjoy the game a lot more

For me I keep coming back to this gta to live out my sick roadrage fantasy. Just glorious vehicular mayhem/savagery.

Typical sesh begins by driving carefully/polite for a few minutes, then use 1st inevitable fenderbender as justification to SNAP, commit brutal knifing homicide on the other driver and anyone nearby who dares to complains.

End up racing the wrong way on the interstate in someone else’s big SUV, head-on crashing into every car in sight, as punishment just for existing

Really helps shake the creeping bads from a long daily commute irl