View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 10:15 PM   #180
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
True, the problem isn't the trope itself. The problem is that it's been the major way in which women have been portrayed for a long time.
While I agree it has improved in modern times, I personally would still like to see even more variety than we have now.
You may not like the trope, but there's nothing inherently offensive about it. The fact that you see a problem with it reflects more about your state of mind than it does a classic tale of romance and chivalry.

I know this will be offensive, but the biological truth is that men are genetically physically stronger, and thus leading to women being more vulnerable to be taken advantage of. It's an awful shame, but it's true. So the tale of the damsel in distress is a universal one.

And historically through evolution the male has been the provider and the woman has been the nurturer. Men don't give birth so they've historically provided for their families while the women nurture.

Sure, more hollywood glory needs to be placed on the nurturing, but these are gender roles that have existed since the dawn of time.