View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #165
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
I'd just like to know what else he talked about at that clinic, what else he played, etc. it's nice he played tonight tonight, but seriously I'm sure there was some more exciting stuff going on besides that.
>>>

YouTube description:

Quote:
Jimmy explained that his drum part was inspired, in part, by Alex Acuņa's drum beat on the Weather Report song "Birdland".

Immediately after playing this song Jimmy joked that it was, "a young man's game", stating that "Tonight, Tonight" was a really difficult drum part to play. He said Billy wrote the song in the morning and came in, and the drum beat just came together immediately that night.

Jimmy talked a lot about the "why" of drumming- how/why he came up with certain parts for songs. He talked a lot about the Pumpkins. In particular he played "Streetcrawler", "Tonight, Tonight", "Geek USA", and "Newerwaves".

Jimmy revealed that he was not meant to stay with the Smashing Pumpkins. He was supposed to only play their first Metro show with them and then go his own way and the band would find another drummer that "fit" better. Obviously it didn't work out that way though.

One anecdote I particularly enjoyed he told a guy ahead of me during the meet & greet afterwards. He stated that "Thru The Eyes of Ruby" was one of his favorite Mellon Collie songs, but Billy didn't initially want to put it on the album. Jimmy begged him to put it on but Billy said he didn't have any lyrics for it so he was just gonna leave it off. Jimmy urged him to go write the lyrics immediately, which he did, and it was on the album.

The only other thing of note I can really remember was Jimmy revealing that he mentors a few kids at his house and teaches them how to drum. He also stated that he was asked recently to go on tour for a big name (he didn't reveal who) but he turned it down because he likes to keep what he does pure and not just give it away. He'll play for friends if the stars align, but for the most part he doesn't guest a lot on people's tracks or join bands for that reason.