View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 12:03 AM   #43
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
I suppose that's why Nirvana fans argue Kurt being a guitar god.

What you say could be true to some degree but would you say that about Danny Carey or Mike Portnay? There are plenty of musicians who are tone freaks and don't suck at all. Billy truly doesn't get the credit for the guitar player he was/is.
Kurt was a brilliant guitar player. GE Smith commented on how great he was while Nirvana performed on SNL. GE Smith is one the greatest, most successful professional guitarists of the last 30 years or so. So he knows what he’s talking about.

I would honestly argue that Kurt is a MUCH better guitarist than Billy. The only criterion by which Billy surpasses is him is that he plays more notes. But judging by his “Solara” performance on Jimmy Fallon he can’t not even palm mute an E power chord in tune. That is sad and pathetic.

I don’t judge a musician by how many notes they play. I judge them on how good the notes they do play sound, and whether they have a unique and powerful voice. Kurt always sounded good and solid. And he had a much better touch and feel for the guitar. AND he had a much stronger voice in the instrument. So in my book he’s better.

It’s generally a thing among professional musicians in NYC, LA, or Nashville to be very skeptical of a guy who talks a lot about gear. If you’re a pro you’re just expected to have your sound together and not waste time talking about it. It’s way more productive to talk with other musicians about actual music. I’ve talked to world class musicians who don’t know how many watts their amp head is. It doesn’t matter. Music matters.

I don’t have any comments about the guys from Tool or Dream Theater. I’m sure they’re great. Good for them. Mark Giulianna is arguably the most respected jazz drummer in NYC right now and he literally doesn’t care what kit he plays on live. He plays whatever is there and makes it sound great. That mentality is the sign of a real pro, not the fussing and obsessing about gear. Just being confident that you can make it work.

I’m sure I have you fuming at me now. I am sorry for that. I hope you have a nice night.

Last edited by johncg : 07-09-2018 at 12:14 AM.