View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #4953
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I really liked this too. What did you think of the ending? I didn't mind it but the final scene maybe felt unnecessary to me? I'm not sure if it contributed anything new. There was also a moment a bit earlier that I felt would have been a perfect ending for me and I was a little disappointed when it didn't stop there
it was.. it was.. i don't know man, it really was the only part of it that i have some qualms with. i basically agree with you. at no point prior did i feel the film ever deviated with what would really actually happen, but at this point i felt it did. the bad driver didn't feel that realistic.. and then they'll just get off the bus... how many miles back to the resort to to somewhere else? (maybe quite close but that wasn't clear)

i think maybe what they were trying to do was make it not so tidy.. as in, the mother this time insists on getting off the bus and doesn't like.. gather her kids with her. so she learns it's not as black and white as she had made it out to be earlier? mats acts with composure which was realistic, but this alienates his girl from him somehow.. maybe she is ashamed that she had questioned him earlier? tomas (if im remembering his name right), of course does nothing special really to show he has learned from his experience, though he does follow along and gather the kids. while walking the mom asks Mats to carry the kid.. maybe she doesn't trust herself or her husband either at this point, and it's like he's the only stable guy there?

i read something on reddit about how the only woman who stayed on the bus was the friend of the wife, the one who was there to have a lot of affairs.. and so for this reader the bus represented life without the illusion of stability provided by the nuclear family... like, she opted to embrace life like that by staying on board, whereas everyone else fled to the security of the collective delusion. and then fact that it is an illusion is reinforced by how they're all walking separately and not as a family really anymore, they're too damaged. i dunno, that's just something i came across

i think if they had ended it after the ski 'rescue' which i think we all know was staged for the benefit of the kids, but possibly not with the husband's knowing in advance(?).. it would have been a bit too tidy perhaps? and they wanted to be more expansive by showing the wife also freak out and act not purely out of protection for her kids? but i feel they maybe didn't stick the landing with the ending, but the rest was great quality so in the end i still really liked it overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Also did you see they're making an English language version with Will Farrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus? A part of me wants to see just how badly it turns out

i did see that, and i am... severely un-enthused. why do we so predictably insist on ruining anything successful and well done from elsewhere in the world? yikes.