View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 08:28 PM   #11
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

taxi driver -

i watched this when i was like 19 and expected a much more 'straightforward' film, so it bored me and i absolutely didn't get it at the time. so, i revisited it yesterday and was, naturally, blown away by what a great movie it is.
this is arguably the best de niro performance of them all. which is funny because most of the times he speaks, his character is struggling to be coherent, or make sense, but he does it so convincingly and so masterfully. he manages to be incredibly creepy, and at the same time, appear almost kind of child-like, almost pure in his mannerism-free demeanor. he achieves a truly striking balance between innocence, and that 'real world' down and out war vet who's dying inside.

in fact, everybody's performances in this movie is incredible. scorsese himself does a small role and delightfully nails it (in fact i was amazed to find out it was him, didn't look like him at all), harvey keitel is perfect. even sybill shepherd hits the mark with that 70's blonde hair glamour, deep voice, piercing eyes, and very tame demeanor. she was incredibly beautiful, how was she not a huge sex symbol back then?

i also really enjoyed the ending. i've read that scorsese actually said that the ending is meant to be absolute reality, and not some fantasy in travis' head, or his dying thoughts. which is somewhat uncharacteristic, as directors usually like to keep an element of mystery to those sorts of things.
either way, i choose to see it just like that - travis' dying thoughts. it's much more powerful to me. that last conversation with betsy, where she has that dreamy glow, and she's suddenly so soft with him after really cutting him off prior to that. i dunno.

also, the corridor shot - what a fantastic cinematic moment.
to sum up: D- , i don't get what all the fuss is about lol