View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #155
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Started playing Arkham Knight...

People weren't kidding when they said the Batmbobile gets tiresome. Absolutely nothing about it is fun. But they force you to use it for every task. The sorts of things you would be able to do with the tools in Batman's utility belt in the old games, Batman is all like "I NEED MUH CAR FOR THIS" in the latest one.

All the fun parts of Arkham Knight are the things they carried over from the past games. Like the stealth mode.

I'm not too far into the story, because I just started today, but it's kinda dumb so far... the character who is definitely not Jason Todd is annoying and whiny as fuck. The game comes up with yet another excuse for why there are no civilians in Gotham, and any NPC hanging out on the street can safely be assumed to be a bad guy. Apparently, the poison blood the Joker infected innocent patients with also imbues those patients with his personality, because everybody knows personality is stored in the blood cells. And Batman decides to kidnap these people and detain them indefinitely in his secret lair, because that's a totally cool and non-supervillain-ish thing to do.

Also, I think I may have punched The Riddler too hard in the head in the last game, because in this game, he seems to be confused about how riddles (the things he named himself for) work, and has made the common mistake of conflating them with racetracks. Despite both things starting with the letter 'r,' they are actually quite distinct, and not good substitutes for each other. I would forgive most people this minor error, but Riddler, having had constructed his entire criminal identity around one of these things and not the other, should really know better.

I mean, imagine tuning in to NASCAR to see Danica Patrick trying to solve a crossword puzzle before her opponents. This might slip by the casual fan unnoticed, but an avid follower of the sport who is familiar with auto-racing technique would probably realize that something was wrong, and might say, "hey, I don't think Danica Patrick is racing in her car properly. It looks like she is solving riddles instead. That is a different thing."